Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56553 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Steelhead!!!!!
« on: November 05, 2005, 08:47:31 PM »

Since Coho season has thus far not been very productive, well for most anyways,  I am already looking forward to steelhead season!!!!! :D :D  I am starting to get pumped!!!!  Only about a month to go!!!! Btw, I haven't fished the Chehalis for steelies yet.  How is it?????? ;D ;D  Who else is looking forward to the hunt for the elusive steely????
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »

i cant wait feel the power of the blade slicing through the water and waiting for that elusive hammering strike of the steelhead 8) 8) 8)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:02:42 PM »

If you ask me, the rest of the year is just practicing for steely fishing. It's by FAR my favourite fishing, it's like an addiction. I don't know how to describe why I love it so much.
That is so true!!!!!!!  An awsome way to think about it!!!!!! ;D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:04:54 PM »

yeah looking forward to steelies. but i dont think ill be hitting the river untill at least jan

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 09:09:15 PM »

Well,  I know that there are some there in Dec.  I went out twice in dec last year and got 2, both wild, but that doesn't really matter to me.  I just love catching steelhead!!! ;D ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 09:13:03 PM »

ive never caught a hatchery steelhead...all wild...but who cares, cause there's no better head than a steelhead ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »

Well Cody, my first 27 steelies were wild!!!!  At the time that bugged me a little, then after getting the first hatchery, I realized that I was just as pumped to get a wild Steelie, even more pumped to get a wild. ;D ;D  The wild Steelhead is the real bc jewell!!!  Bred in the wild with no help from man!!!!  Nothing beats the fight of a big, mean wild Steelhead in my opinion!!!!  It is just a different feeling!!!!!! ;D ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »

My favorite season. Virtually nobody around, its cold and the hunt is intense. When the float disappears the cold goes away and the adrenaline begins to run through your veins.

I am already prepared. The only problem is that we have a child thats due end of the year meaning my Steelhead season will consist of me getting out about once every 2 weeks. I will have to make the best of it thats for sure.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mark

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 11:09:24 PM »

Did you know that the hatcheries don't clip all the fish even though you catch one with an adipose fin it could still have been raised by the hatchery. ;)
Well Cody, my first 27 steelies were wild!!!!  At the time that bugged me a little, then after getting the first hatchery, I realized that I was just as pumped to get a wild Steelie, even more pumped to get a wild. ;D ;D  The wild Steelhead is the real bc jewell!!!  Bred in the wild with no help from man!!!!  Nothing beats the fight of a big, mean wild Steelhead in my opinion!!!!  It is just a different feeling!!!!!! ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 11:20:31 PM »

Yes I knew that, but they clip as many as they can!!  Besides, what I was saying had so much more effect without putting that in!!!!  So thank you very much for ruining the aura!!!! ;D ;D ;D

mark

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 12:00:44 AM »

Sorry man I didn't mean to ruin it for ya.No worries.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 12:25:13 AM »

How can you wake up early on a winters month go to the river stand there in the cold the whole day praying you will get a wish on or if your SUPER LUCKY a couple on. Coho is hard to catch sometime but steelhead is just too insane.
[

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »

I have caught 2 steelies at the vedder and one at the chehalis.  They have all been hatchery.  I heard that the steelies arrive latter at the chehalis than those at the vedder although i did get mine on new years last year.
I like ROE

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 06:56:00 AM »

How can you wake up early on a winters month go to the river stand there in the cold the whole day praying you will get a wish on or if your SUPER LUCKY a couple on. Coho is hard to catch sometime but steelhead is just too insane.

if you haven't tried it....do so..the anticipation on the drive to the river....suitin' up in a snow storm.....frozen fingers that can't lite your smoke.....scanning the river for likely spots to drop yout float above....a quiet time to sort out all the lil' probs that infect our daily lives...no wife naggin' bout last weeks garbage still on the deck...no worries bout the dog $h!t you left in the yard...it'll b there when you get home ;D....and breathin' in all that nature....is the elexir of life....if you are into fishin' for the fish....steels may not b for you....its the trip...not the destination that calls me........just my thoughts...;))

mojo the BC steelie virgin...lots of Ont steelies tho

?....how far do I need to travel from Oliver to experience some decent steelie action??

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 06:57:52 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

buck

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 08:07:34 AM »

MARK
      All steelhead form the Chilliwack Hatchery are adipose fin clipped prior to release. Fish are removed from Cap trough's, clipped and then put into the rearing channels for the remainder of the their time at the hatchery. On a very small percentage of fish the adipose fin may regenerate if it was a poor clip.