Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 42763 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Just watched Rod's latest video about fishing for coho with spoons and couldn't help but wonder if a trailing hook would improve the landing ratio.  Anyone else use a trailing hook or was that only popular for a couple years?
I use it since seeing it posted on this site. Has improved my landing ratio greatly. Even the ones I lose stay on the hook longer.

stsfisher

Honestly after trying all the tricks to help with keeping fish buttoned I have found using the supplied hooks just as good. Now in saying that I fish spinners and spoons that already have have decent to very good quality hooks. Do they require some sharpening? YES, and I believe that is the biggest factor. I hardly see anyone with a file on the river and believe more people would find better success if they filed a hook once in awhile.
I find myself prepping for coho in the garage by filing every hook on my spoons and spinners. and when new ones are purchased they get a file before use. my file stays in a handy pocket and sharpened after each fish or hangup. This and other factors when playing fish has upped the ratio for me and far better than just changing out hooks for something "better"

Darko

• Old Timer

Honestly after trying all the tricks to help with keeping fish buttoned I have found using the supplied hooks just as good. Now in saying that I fish spinners and spoons that already have have decent to very good quality hooks. Do they require some sharpening? YES, and I believe that is the biggest factor. I hardly see anyone with a file on the river and believe more people would find better success if they filed a hook once in awhile.
I find myself prepping for coho in the garage by filing every hook on my spoons and spinners. and when new ones are purchased they get a file before use. my file stays in a handy pocket and sharpened after each fish or hangup. This and other factors when playing fish has upped the ratio for me and far better than just changing out hooks for something "better"

totally agree with the hook sharpening. Barely see anyone sharpening but for me its made a big difference. Hooks are being placed much better and higher % of fish stay one. Also brings up the confidence that you know it cant be a dull hook to blame.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Kever

100% I keep a file in my top waders pocket and sharpen my hooks often, I'd say every 15-30 casts.  They get dull quickly once they bounce off a few rocks.  Heading out on Saturday to fish spoons, perhaps I'll do some "citizen science" on landing ratio of trailing hook vs. stock hook.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions this morning were surprisingly exellent despite of the amount of rain we had overnight. It stayed nice until around 3pm and clarity started to degrade. By the time I left the river at 5:00pm, it was already quite greyish brown with visibility down to 1 to 2 feet. Fishing wasn't too bad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

How was the fishing ?

vancook

• Old Timer

I was excited for the rain but now I want it to take a break. First Wednesday I took the day off to find a muddy river and now the river level has surpassed the previous days high water mark. Unless it starts to drop soon I think I’ve Wasted another day off tomorrow.
Going to have to check the graph when I wake up.

psd1179

• Old Timer

How was the fishing ?

Sounds everybody limited out

Darko

• Old Timer

why does the hydrograph keep going up when it stopped raining hours ago   :o. Hopefully conditions are good at first light

psd1179

• Old Timer

why does the hydrograph keep going up when it stopped raining hours ago   :o. Hopefully conditions are good at first light

river level rise due to rain in areas upper stream. rain in Chilliwack won't affect the water level much.

vancook

• Old Timer

Like psd1179 said, up river rainfall. Remember the vedder is fed from chilliwack lake and it’s a long way up past the hatchery.

The river has begun to drop but still above Wednesday’s peak high water mark. I’ve convinced myself it’s going to be chocolate milk this morning and saving myself the gas and disappointment. It’s possible it could improve to being fishable by early afternoon. If I wouldn’t have to be on the road by 1 I would consider heading out but those are not the cards I’m dealt.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

wow posting a video same day and responding to every comment, feels like the old fishing with rod. working on building up your social media again?

Enjoyed the video

Thanks

Darko

• Old Timer

Like psd1179 said, up river rainfall. Remember the vedder is fed from chilliwack lake and it’s a long way up past the hatchery.

The river has begun to drop but still above Wednesday’s peak high water mark. I’ve convinced myself it’s going to be chocolate milk this morning and saving myself the gas and disappointment. It’s possible it could improve to being fishable by early afternoon. If I wouldn’t have to be on the road by 1 I would consider heading out but those are not the cards I’m dealt.

Water clarity was about 2 feet throughout the day from what I guesstimate. Here's some photos of today's catch. First fish on the centrepin too  ;D.

canucksfan233

wow some coloured coho there. Nothing crazy but still odd to see with all the rain.