Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 63386 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 07:26:57 AM »

Assuming the river is going to be "high" on the weekend - do many of you bother going out to try the side channels....above the vdr'xing I assume...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242.

Anybody noticed the Test Fishery is showing a lot more fish compared to the last few years?  Could this be a rebound year?

I have seen A LOT of Chun in the Canal over the past few days. The last few years I shpuld wouldn't see a Chum at all till mid October if at all. Over the past two days I've seen schools of Chum swimming around. I'm up on the casting deck of my boat and can see a lot. Just the other day I saw 4 Chum out in from of a massive school of Coho being chased by a seal. BTW at least 3 seals are permanently setup around Barrowtown. They are feeding hard and spooking any fish that swims up. Its be a challenge to find a willing participant to bite my line. The seals just Chace the fish around in a circle and they end up rocketing up river.

Also, i have seen Chum thrashing around in the sloughs on the north Fraser side already. Seems a few weeks early to me.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »

River was mud this morning when I went and cleaned up some garbage in the Canal stea. I wanted to do more as i am away for the Sunday cleanup but got hit by a rain storm and got a bit wet. Are any of you attending the cleanup? Info on the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society website.

blueback

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »

Any reports of how the river looks today?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »

Any reports of how the river looks today?

Everybody is too busy fishing it to bother. A good buddy of mine has been fishing all day in the lower and mid river section and reported great (albeit high) water conditions with lots of fish in the system and quite frequent catches seen first hand.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 07:21:48 PM »

Everybody is too busy fishing it to bother. A good buddy of mine has been fishing all day in the lower and mid river section and reported great (albeit high) water conditions with lots of fish in the system and quite frequent catches seen first hand.

milo - do you fish the vedder much...just thought i may have seen you last weekend upper river....prol'y wrong..just curious.

blueback

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 08:08:06 PM »

Thanks Milo!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »

The rain we had is just what the doctor ordered. Should get the fish moving and spread out over the entire river. Upcoming week of warm and dry weather it’s going to be game on. Play nice out there guys and gals. Record and report any poaching activity you may encounter.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »

2 feet visibility.  A bit on high side. Less fish showing themselves compared to last week. Lots of people out.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »

i was up all day. all i can say is i'm shocked at how few fish i saw caught. i was at top/middle/bottom (people were actually in the canal) and everyone was saying fri/sat was better by 10x...

did all the fish go to church today? anyone have luck...

Paulo

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »

Fished the canal today by boat. Just below and above highway bridge. Saw one boil in the morning and that was it. Didn't see anyone with a fish on, no rollers, no jumpers. Brought my young son out and went home early because he was bored. Couldn't blame him but what a bummer. Falling water, 2 - 2.5' vis, overcast morning. You couldn't ask for anything better. Try again midweek.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »

There were a few caught in my area during a brief window. Lots of people hooked nothing.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 12:24:41 AM »

milo - do you fish the vedder much...just thought i may have seen you last weekend upper river....prol'y wrong..just curious.

Not nearly as much as I used to, Dennis. I did fish it Sunday last weekend but I don't remember fishing the upper. Stayed within the canal area.

essyoo

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »

Fished the lower river this morning. Water conditions were really good. Fishing was pretty slow. Saw only a couple of groups move through. Lost a couple but managed to get one hatchery coho around 5-6 lbs and a nice chum to hand.

The weather was fantastic and most everyone was well behaved except one very vocal, extremely racist guy spouting off. He didn't catch anything so I assume the fish must have heard his BS.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »

Barrowtown was a total GONG SHOW. We hooked 4 and lost them all. Not too many people catching from the boats today. Saw a seal eating 1 Chum and later her had a Coho. Like usual seals spooking the Coho in the canal.