Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 63384 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

Nothing our us today in the lower. Didn't see anybody fighting fish.  Other than a splash from a big spring, didn't notice any fish showing themselves.  On our way home, stopped by the Stave River and there was only 1 guy fishing it when we got there.  Some chums splashing, but not worth the time yet to fish IMO.  Saw a dead chum with head removed which is a bit weird ?  Seals?  The fish looked pretty freshly killed.

243Pete

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 07:10:32 AM »

I got a question for everyone.

So this week a buddy had a little incident in a run we were fishing, another gut was fishing the same run, hooked a coho and snapped off about 30+ feet of line above his float, fish vanished back to the depths with the float and gear in tow. Now my buddy proceeds to hook the same gear about 20 or so minutes later and has to hand line the rest in cause of how much was out there.

The question is... who's fish is it technically? Yes, the fish was a hatchery coho and bonked it, my buddy got a fish and the guy who lost his gear got his float, weight, hook and line back. It's something that has been buzzing a bit in my head but my view is that the guy who broke off is no longer able to claim that it's his fish cause he is no longer in control of it and isn't connected to the fish cause his line broke. But would it technically be the other anglers fish? he hooked it first and fought it before breaking off.

Just a little thing that happened, both parties had no issues with the choices made but it made for some interesting discussions and watching my buddy hand line a fish in is about the best high light other than another friend who cut my mainline trying to untangle his leader from my line.

And fishing has slowed down, feels like a restart to the season for some reason.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »

I would say the fish is your friends. He didn't have to give that gear back either, but he chose to, which was the "right" thing to do. The first guy had his chance and lost it. Your friend successfully caught it and handed the other guys equipment back. Exactly what I would have done.
That's like going to the bar, watching a fool hitting on a beautiful girl all night, and her walking away. She's interested in you, she's gorgeous, and you say "nah....that other guy should have her" and you walking away...... :o ;D wait...what's a bar again?? 2020.....

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »

I would have given the line to the dude that lost the fish and let him hand line the fish in. He hooked it and his gear was attached to it. I can hook my own fish and catch it.  8)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »

I would say the fish is your friends. He didn't have to give that gear back either, but he chose to, which was the "right" thing to do. The first guy had his chance and lost it. Your friend successfully caught it and handed the other guys equipment back. Exactly what I would have done.
That's like going to the bar, watching a fool hitting on a beautiful girl all night, and her walking away. She's interested in you, she's gorgeous, and you say "nah....that other guy should have her" and you walking away...... :o ;D wait...what's a bar again?? 2020.....

Agree that it's your friend's fish.

stsfisher

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »

I got a question for everyone.

Now my buddy proceeds to hook the same gear about 20 or so minutes later and has to hand line the rest in cause of how much was out there.

Did he hook the gear or fish? If the gear was hooked the fish should have been released. If he hooked the fish then it was his, no the previous guys.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »

I was wondering if the hook was barbless or not. why did it stay so well

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »

Did he hook the gear or fish? If the gear was hooked the fish should have been released. If he hooked the fish then it was his, no the previous guys.

Agreed. Snagging line attached to the fish is the same as snagging a fish. Release it.

243Pete

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »

Bar... it's that... place... back way when....

Well to clarify a little here, he hooked part of the mainline that was drifting out in the current, the fish was hooked a little deeper within the mouth and I was surprised the hook didn't come out either and it was barbless, and the fact he could hand line the fish in but then again it was a hatchery fish... told him if it was a wild that line would have cut through his hand or it would have snapped the leader.

Personally I haven't had this happen to me except for Sunday were at the Stave another buddy spotted a pike minnow that was stuck to the rocks with a Bluefox spinner in it's mouth, couldn't go anywhere cause it had line attached to it but popped the fish off and got a free size 2 brass spinner.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »

Snagging? I don't think so! There is nothing in the regs about having to put tackle back in the river if you happen to hook it. The line was recovered fair and square. The fish was fair hooked and brought in. Hand lined? Not illegal! There is also the issue of this being what in legalese is called a windfall. Sort of like winning a lottery or finding a $50 bill.

That maybe the fish should have been given to the angler who first lost it I can understand but that's not persuasive for me...unless ithe other guy started to cry or was a kid.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »

It’s like when a kid catches a foul ball at the ball park and drops it. Adult picks it up and gives it back to the kid instead of keeping it.  :o

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »

Quick reminder that the river is dangerous even in relatively mid-low water like today. I took a wrong line on a wade i've done 10 times this year and ended up getting swept off my feet and down river a little bit. Could have been quite ugly but managed ( obviously) to pull myself out. Nothing really hurt other than my pride and scaring the bejesus out of myself. Lost a Islander reel attached to a trophy rod if anyone sees it.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

Quick reminder that the river is dangerous even in relatively mid-low water like today.Lost a Islander reel attached to a trophy rod if anyone sees it.
Oh dude that totally sucks man. Go back everyday as the river drops you may be able to get it back.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »

Water is dropping and its super clear oit there. Not too many hooked in the canal. Lots of boats going back home empty handed. This bright weather is not suited for casting from the boat. Its rough