Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 64202 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »

Interesting dilemma! Here’s one. Approx 10 years ago I hooked a lure (spoon) that was in a coho’s mouth. Somehow my hook went right through the eye of the swivel of the spoon! I thought I totally fair hooked the fish myself. I released the fish but kept the spoon! But could I have retained that hatchery coho???

bobby b

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »

I don't see why not

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:23 PM »

FM, you have it backwards. You should have thrown the spoon back, and kept the fish.

bunnta

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »

Interesting dilemma! Here’s one. Approx 10 years ago I hooked a lure (spoon) that was in a coho’s mouth. Somehow my hook went right through the eye of the swivel of the spoon! I thought I totally fair hooked the fish myself. I released the fish but kept the spoon! But could I have retained that hatchery coho???

What about this, about 8 years ago i went fishing with a friend and his son. His son hooks into a coho but snaps his whole mainline. They re-rig and he eventually hooks into his own float at the swivel and brings in the fish. Luckily it was a hatchery with such a deep hookset, I remember my face going   :o. I also did this myself fishing for sockeye last opening and somehoe flossed a swivel with a fish attached to the leader.  ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »

My highlight of the day was watching a mama bear teaching her cub how to catch fish and wade across the river, hardly 50 yards below the spot I was fishing.
That, and catching two gorgeous wild chromers of at least 10 pounds each.  :)
Obviously, I was fishing the upper river away from the gong shows.

DanL

• Old Timer

The line was recovered fair and square. The fish was fair hooked and brought in. Hand lined? Not illegal! 

Approx 10 years ago I hooked a lure (spoon) that was in a coho’s mouth. Somehow my hook went right through the eye of the swivel of the spoon! I thought I totally fair hooked the fish myself. I released the fish but kept the spoon! But could I have retained that hatchery coho???

This happens so rarely that I would say keep it, who's going to lose any sleep over that? However, from the monent you hooked onto someone else's loose gear, are you not fishing with two hooks?   ;D

clarki

• Old Timer

are you not fishing with two hooks?   ;D
So true. Shame FM!

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Also if you bring in a fish on someone else's snapped line or lure wouldn't it be considered that you caught the fish with an unattended line? Also unlawful. Sounds like a fish that should get lucky twice!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

This happens so rarely that I would say keep it, who's going to lose any sleep over that? However, from the monent you hooked onto someone else's loose gear, are you not fishing with two hooks?   ;D

er...ah...clearly not! Please consider that most of what law deals with requires intent. There is no intent to fish with 2 hooks. Even if there was intent to recover some tackle and even a fish it's not intent to fish with 2 hooks since the hook in the fish was no longer "fishing".
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblue

• Old Timer

Is the lower river fishable?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

have look:

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sugartooth

have look:

Does anyone know what is being built next to the Vedder crossing?
Are they building the craft brewery/restaurant?

fic

• Old Timer

Lower river was muddy in the morning.  I didn't  stay long. With more rain coming, Monday looks iffy too.

obie1fish

Got another one for you guys. Was sockeye fishing on the Fraser 8 or 9 years ago with my 10 year old son, his fishing newby hockey buddy and his Dad. Was netting the boy's fish when his Dad hooked bottom. Had my son take care of his friend's fish while I handlined the dad's snag in. Turned out to be line- not surprising, but it was attached to a brand new rod and Abu 6500. Handed the rod over to the dad who reeled in a tired, still fighting sockeye!
Hard to believe, but what a day! The dad kept the outfit as noone claimed the setup.