Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 64270 times)

clarki

• Old Timer

Try it on the BBQ or in the oven with a dill/mayo dressing.  I think you may  be surprised (if don't already know) how good it is.
I've never had fresh chum. I just may do that. Thx

what's with the stick? Looking for something?
I was sexing the fish. Actually, I was spearfishing and I got the coveted head shot. Actually, I was using this beaver-gnawed stick to pin the fish to the bank. A poor man's stringer; really, a forgetful man's stringer as I left my real stringer at home. I didn't want to bother with a Rodney-quality posed picture where the names of my sponsors, Canadian Tire and Rubbermaid, were featured prominently.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I was sexing the fish. Actually, I was spearfishing and I got the coveted head shot. Actually, I was using this beaver-gnawed stick to pin the fish to the bank. A poor man's stringer; really, a forgetful man's stringer as I left my real stringer at home. I didn't want to bother with a Rodney-quality posed picture where the names of my sponsors, Canadian Tire and Rubbermaid, were featured prominently.

Oh, ok. I fully understand now...I think.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Starting to rain now, will it blow out for the weekend again?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Maybe not. Freezing level is at 300 meters apparently. I predict a little less vis but overall decent water.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I didn't want to bother with a Rodney-quality posed picture where the names of my sponsors, Canadian Tire and Rubbermaid, were featured prominently.
Same here. I don’t want anyone to know I have no sponsors! ::) Actually the real reason is I have no idea how to post a picture to this site! :o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

rain today then clear, cool with possibility of frost at night, little or no rain for the next 6 to 7 days. Expect everything to drop and clear.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

essyoo

Spent the morning in the lower river. Still trying to regain feeling in my fingers. Really slow at first light for us but started to pick up after a couple of hours. Found a productive little spot and managed to catch my limit and release a bunch as well. More trout and juvenile coho than I've ever encountered before as well. My friend couldn't seem to keep them off his hook. Lots of chum around.

Water viz seemed good, at least a couple feet when I left around noon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Very slow for us, got a spawned out chum salmon on the first cast and that was it, so cold went for a coffee and warmed up, then tried another spot missed 2, broke a large chum off so headed for home. Spotted a nice float in a log jam went to get it, lost my balance and fell in the river got soaking wet and headed home for a warm bath and a nap. Oh and I lost the float as my splashdown dislodged the float and it drifted away, a $4.99 one too. A good reminder to always wear a wading belt. Glad I had a staff to be able to right myself in the current.

I guess at 77 I have to be more careful as balance is not like it used to be. Will take the mishap out on the ducks tonight in the evening flight .

It is cool out now so the river should be OK for tomorrow, dress warmly and wear that wading belt.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Or a Personal Flotation Device

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

Or a Personal Flotation Device
I was not in deep water and I keep away from deep water these days.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »

Water excellent but 54kph wind too strong.  Frozen fingers and toes even with gloves and 2 pairs wool socks.  1 degree with windchill.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2020, 01:06:23 PM »

Water excellent but 54kph wind too strong.  Frozen fingers and toes even with gloves and 2 pairs wool socks.  1 degree with windchill.
I did not make a cast.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »

We did well on the north Fraser side. Hooked 7 and retained 2 each. Wind wasn't an issue here

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2020, 08:22:34 PM »

I always go out fishing with a telescopic hiking (or "trekking") pole. So useful in so many ways... helps with balance when wading, probing water depth while wading new water, balancing on treacherous terrain or slippery mud/ice, dislodging snags in the river, and retrieving river treasure. Could also be used as a weapon in an animal encounter but thankfully haven't been in that situation yet! I've unsnagged my line and saved my lure so many times in 3-5' water over the years that I'm sure the thing's paid for itself. I'm surprised more anglers don't use them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13