Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 64276 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »

I’m asking for one for Christmas. The one I am getting is made by Rick Humphrey of Campbell River. He’s fabricated and sold over 350 to members of Flybc, Speypages, Washington Fly Fishing, and Custom Fly Rod

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »

I’m asking for one for Christmas. The one I am getting is made by Rick Humphrey of Campbell River. He’s fabricated and sold over 350 to members of Flybc, Speypages, Washington Fly Fishing, and Custom Fly Rod

Rick's is a folding pole. I have an original Folstaff (made in the US) I bought at Kaufman's in Seattle in 1987. Still works perfectly.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »

Wind still howling in the Lower, feels like steelhead season.

poper

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2020, 05:44:34 PM »

Hey Ralph so had a fly really similar to coho dart you posted yesterday, probably had in the box for 8 years, saw your post last night, threw it on today in some back waters and it was on fire. Thx probably wouldn’t have ever used it lol.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »

Hey Ralph so had a fly really similar to coho dart you posted yesterday, probably had in the box for 8 years, saw your post last night, threw it on today in some back waters and it was on fire. Thx probably wouldn’t have ever used it lol.

ACK! Now I am jealous. Glad it paid off for you. Being there at the right time with right fly/lure/bait makes such a difference.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2020, 07:01:02 AM »

These wading staffs are very nice an d i would highly recommend them to anyone fishing moving waters.

Rick goes by the name Herkileez over on FlyBC.

yoda

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2020, 08:32:29 AM »

Not to be cheap or anything, but i had a foldable walking staff fail me on the river this year resulting in getting me soaked. Unfortunately the extend lock had worn out similar to what tree pruning extentions and other tools happen to do. I replaced it with a cheap ski pole that you can buy at garage sales etc. You just knock the basket off the bottom and there you go. Plus it makes a lot of noise as it clangs behind you for those worried about bears. And the point gets sharper the more you drag it on the rocks!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2020, 01:30:01 PM »

I've also used telescoping walking sticks. These can be had at Cdn Tire etc for about $30 a pair. The folding staffs are a bit of pain to put together and take down. The telescoping type ( I had a Hardy branded one for a few years) don't last more than a couple of years. They also make great walking sticks for hiking or fishing. I rely on mine more and more as I age.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »

I am cheap and being on an pension I just pick up a wading staff along the river, cut off beaver limbs are good.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2020, 04:17:58 AM »

Still some coho salmon around but i usually think the fishing tails off on the V. once the calendar turns this month..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »

Fishing remans good today even with the season nearing the end on the C/V

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »

Slow for us today, water colored I think as it was so mild  it triggered a slow melt? Matthew landed a lovely bright hatchery just as I was leaving. It was good to see you again Matt, hope you got a few more. I will try the evening flight for fish and quakers.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »

I just checked the water level and it di come up because of snow melt. Tonight i went for 30 minutes and got a large coho salmon jack was wild. A nice mild evening to be out. Tomorrow will be good.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2020, 06:35:06 AM »

Still some fresh chums moving into the river but cohos are far in between. Most of the well know runs in the lower river has been taken over by chums so finding stranded cohos in the clear water is not easy. Keep looking as there are still some around.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »

Still some fresh chums moving into the river but cohos are far in between. Most of the well know runs in the lower river has been taken over by chums so finding stranded cohos in the clear water is not easy. Keep looking as there are still some around.
So many bites today lost a few jacks and landed one good sized wild coho jack. Thought I would try a trout bead, never had much faith in them . Missed 2 I think were jacks. Then wham a fresh run chum doe decided she liked it as did I. I now have faith in them. :D River came up 4 inches because of the snow melt. Excited about tomorrow and will start with a trout bead.lol.

Oh because missed and lost a lot I decided my dad's 40 year old hooks were not doing their job, used them for sentimental reasons. Broke down and bought some Gammy's. Watch out now fish.