Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening  (Read 18432 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening
« on: July 14, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »

Anglers and others who frequent the Chilliwack/Vedder rivers should be aware that the Sumas First Nations will be conducting DFO authorized net fisheries in the lower river near the confluence of the Sumas and Vedder rivers in an effort to meet Food, Social and Ceremonial (FSC) needs. This selective fishery will be targeting chinook salmon while avoiding stocks of concern such as Chilliwack and Cultus Lake sockeye. This fishery could commence as early as July 16th and continue into August. Anglers and boaters should take required actions to avoid this net presence which will be marked with buoys and avoid them.

The Recreational fishing community has collaborated with the Sumas First Nation to facilitate safe and orderly fisheries for both anglers and the First Nations fishers. This fishery will be monitored and catch results will be provided to DFO weekly. We are hopeful that respect and consideration will evident on the river for all fishers.

Further information will be provided as available.

Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance
Bc Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Salmon Society

tim3500

Re: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »

I guess Rod will be taking his family to kamloops to permote lake fishing and all the sports fisherman of the Fraser valley will be getting rid of there equipment .and Tackle shop owners will be the hardest hit . Mark my words you will see more of this come September on ! Iam done !

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »

told you all this was comming. They have applied to the IFMP for this fishery for a few years now.

If it makes you feel better Murray Ned the lead Sumas fishies man is also a director in the pacific salmon foundation. Aka where your money from the salmon stamps go.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:07:28 PM by wildmanyeah »

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »

This should make for a pretty empty river. What is the expected return, and what escapement is anticipated?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:21:34 PM by obie1fish »

obie1fish

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »

Any knowledge of when this is taking place? And the duration?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »

I believe in river net fisheries have taken place before. As to when - the message says further info will provided as it becomes available.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »

This SHOULD be a peak year for Chilliwack Lake sockeye, yes?  There have been FN openings for that run in the past.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »

I guess Rod will be taking his family to kamloops to permote lake fishing and all the sports fisherman of the Fraser valley will be getting rid of there equipment .and Tackle shop owners will be the hardest hit . Mark my words you will see more of this come September on ! Iam done !

Kamloops?! Nah, too dry. 😉

stsfisher

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:34:05 PM »

Well that shouldn't create any conflicts 😒 a net fishery at the confluence of the sumas/Vedder, where many boats come and go to access a boat launch? I tell you that couldn,t be any worse of an idea.
How long are these nets allowed to be? Will they be a day light hours set only? What could go wrong.........

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »

The Recreational fishing community has collaborated with the Sumas First Nation to facilitate safe and orderly fisheries for both anglers and the First Nations fishers. This fishery will be monitored and catch results will be provided to DFO weekly. We are hopeful that respect and consideration will evident on the river for all fishers.

Further information will be provided as available.

Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance
Bc Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Salmon Society

That was nice of these three orgs to collaborate such an agreement on behave of the recreational fishing community.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 08:56:15 PM »

I’m actually surprised it opened when it did I fully expected them to keepnit closed to rec fishing till FN had their share.

stsfisher

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »

I’m actually surprised it opened when it did I fully expected them to keepnit closed to rec fishing till FN had their share.

I'm really surprised anyone thinks there is enough chinook in the chilliwack system to warrant a gill net fishery until August . But ofcourse that's the idea behind it all is it not.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:27 AM »

So, I assume they will be allowed a net in October as well if the do not receive their share of reds ?

stsfisher

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 05:58:40 AM »

So, I assume they will be allowed a net in October as well if the do not receive their share of reds ?

You can bet on that......

stsfisher

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »

So I am hoping someone is better at finding data than i am. I have been looking for probably 2 hours with no success.

I am looking for Summer Chinook release and return data for Chilliwack hatchery Chinook. NOT fall Chinook.