Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening  (Read 18613 times)

sumasriver

Re: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »

Yes, this is where i grew up fishing... my dad born in 1932 taught me the area.....
I still remember catching numerous coho / springs in the Sumas as a kid.

Yes, i grew up with Murray Ned and i used to hang out a bit at Sumas reserve. Back in the day there was a boxing faciltiy we used to train in.......

Yes, i am horrified to think of gill nets being used in this stretch of the river.

Why can't we all just give the springs  a chance...   This is a quiet  part of the river running deeper water where the springs had some peace and quiet before heading up river. Too slow water to get a good drift....  We used to bar fish in the canal back in the day... LOL

Can't we all acknowledge the precarious position our various local salmon runs are all in. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »

https://www.theprogress.com/news/sumas-first-nation-pilots-eight-inch-gill-net-fishery-in-sumas-vedder-river/

Chris, do you know if there will be a fisheries plan made public for this FN opportunity with info on the number of days of netting, specific days identified (such as they do for the Fraser openings) and a target number of fish caught? How many gill nets will be in the river at one time? At this point I am hoping just one.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:11 PM »

The hatchery had summer chinook returns back to the hatchery of

2017 -885
2018- 874
2019- 1455

They give this info out at Sfac meetings you guys should attend.

To put the survival in perspective fall chinook returns to the hatchery were

2017-8897
2018- 13811
2019- 5664

Thanks, good info and advice.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:17:20 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »

Chris, do you know if there will be a fisheries plan made public for this FN opportunity with info on the number of days of netting, specific days identified (such as they do for the Fraser openings) and a target number of fish caught? How many gill nets will be in the river at one time? At this point I am hoping just one.
Sorry I donot know. I would suggest you contact DFO and see if you can get the information you are asking.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 09:35:06 PM »

Summer chinook returns last year to the chehalis hatchery were 1035 this is apparently about average they returned 600 to the river. They conducted 2 swims in August and counted about 300 each time

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 12:38:57 AM »

It reads to
Me that it’s going to be set up like a test fishery. 1 net fishing every day for a set amount of time.

Although the story also used the term gill nets as in plural so who knows.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:44:04 AM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 05:57:25 AM »

The hatchery had summer chinook returns back to the hatchery of

2017 -885
2018- 874
2019- 1455

They give this info out at Sfac meetings you guys should attend.

To put the survival in perspective fall chinook returns to the hatchery were

2017-8897
2018- 13811
2019- 5664

Thankyou wildmanyeah for the info.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2019/SC&NC-IFMP-2019-PSR-eng.htm
Here is the same report for 2018:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2020/SC&NC-IFMP-2020-PSR-eng.htm

Thanks so much. Like the OP I've looked for this info before without success. Now that I know what to search for, it appears the parent page is here:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/ifmp-pgip-eng.html#ifmp-post

Also has the production plans for 2020

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »

Hmm, curious.  It looks like the Chilliwack Hatchery is producing Thompson coho?  Here's the explanation in the spreadsheet.  See line 43.

"In addition to existing target at Spius facility (65K smolts), an additional 120K smolt release by Chilliwack Hatchery is planned. This additional production and tagging of Coldwater Coho began in 2016 to meet fishery recovery precision requirements for Pacific Salmon Treaty implementation."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »

I wonder how much effort will be put into this fishery? Not a lot of fish in this chinook run anyway at this time of year and the run timing is short. I donot think this is the best area to drift net as anyone that boats in the lower Canal area and the Sumas know how many snags there is. Gosh with all the mosquitoes in this area this year that would be enough to keep me away, not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:08:39 AM by chris gadsden »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »

Yes, this is where i grew up fishing... my dad born in 1932 taught me the area.....
I still remember catching numerous coho / springs in the Sumas as a kid.

Yes, i grew up with Murray Ned and i used to hang out a bit at Sumas reserve. Back in the day there was a boxing faciltiy we used to train in.......

Yes, i am horrified to think of gill nets being used in this stretch of the river.

Why can't we all just give the springs  a chance...   This is a quiet  part of the river running deeper water where the springs had some peace and quiet before heading up river. Too slow water to get a good drift....  We used to bar fish in the canal back in the day... LOL

Can't we all acknowledge the precarious position our various local salmon runs are all in.

As a sportsfisherman, i'd like to know where I stand.  Is this a shared resource?  If it is can stringing a gill net across the mouth of a river and virtually blocking anything from getting through be considered sharing?  I'm not opposed to First Nations having rights to fish for Food, Social and Ceremonial use but as group that is part of the "share" shouldn't it be communicated to us just how many fish are needed?  How many fish are going to be taken out?  These are essentially hatchery fish.  What is the role of the hatcheries?  Isn't  it to create a put and take fishery for all to share? 

When we were allowed to fish for Red springs in the Fraser using selective methods, the River was shut down for Sportsfishing when there was too much BB going on (rightfully so).

What about the illegal nets on Other small systems?  What is being done about it?  Certainly its not your everyday sportsfishermen that is deploying these nets? 

I am sick and tired about how sportsfishermen get portrayed every time we bring up these questions.  This is not just a casual hobby for me.  It has become part of my life.  I've invested a lot of time and money into this.  I don't like the way this is going.

I've worked with conservations groups before. I'm all for conservation.  I would put down my rod right now if I knew it would help the wild stocks rebuild. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »

Thanks so much. Like the OP I've looked for this info before without success. Now that I know what to search for, it appears the parent page is here:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/ifmp-pgip-eng.html#ifmp-post

Also has the production plans for 2020

Thanks for finding that. Excel files can be downloaded and the table filtered for what you'd like to look at so one doesn't have to sift through hundreds of lines of data.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »

As a sportsfisherman, i'd like to know where I stand.  Is this a shared resource?  If it is can stringing a gill net across the mouth of a river and virtually blocking anything from getting through be considered sharing?  I'm not opposed to First Nations having rights to fish for Food, Social and Ceremonial use but as group that is part of the "share" shouldn't it be communicated to us just how many fish are needed?  How many fish are going to be taken out?  These are essentially hatchery fish.  What is the role of the hatcheries?  Isn't  it to create a put and take fishery for all to share? 

Unfortunately the SCOC long ago (close to 40 years) specified the priority of access to salmon. There is no question First Nations have priority over all other users regardless if the fish are from a wild natural run or produced from some form of enhancement. In a sense it is fortunate that recreational access is continuing while the FN harvest takes place.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »

This is a DFO response i've seen posted online. Im not sure about the part about SFAB sharing infor online media. not sure i seen that anywhere.

here is some summary info. about this fishery that gets underway today.

•       Tier 3 call (DFO/FN/SFAB) regarding this fishery took place on 13.Jul.
•       SFAB Reps were posting info. about this fishery thru various media portals
•       Sumas FN is looking to release a press release about their fishery soon.
•       DFO is also working on signage to be posted.
•       DFO and Sumas FN have been working on some of the finer details regarding the fishing plan. As an initial step, the high level details includes a fishery Thursday to Sunday for up to 4 nets with catch         monitoring.  C&P and RCMP are expected to be on the grounds to support this initial fishery.
•       DFO and Sumas  will meet 20.Jun. to review the fisheries details to develop the fishing plan going forward.
•       Next Tier 3 call DFO/FN/SFAB planned for 21.Jun.
•       Limited Participation Licence has been issued to Sumas First Nation to harvest Chinook Salmon using up to 4 set gillnets with 8” (inches) mesh or greater on the Sumas/Vedder River from Keith Wilson    Bridge to the confluence of the Fraser River from Thursday, July 16 at 12:00 pm to Sunday, July 19 at 9:00 pm.
•       Reminder that  Info./ details re: the fishery are posted to DFO website at the following link http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#Lower_Fraser_River
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:41:22 AM by wildmanyeah »