Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening  (Read 18606 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 12:31:39 PM »

So I am hoping someone is better at finding data than i am. I have been looking for probably 2 hours with no success.

I am looking for Summer Chinook release and return data for Chilliwack hatchery Chinook. NOT fall Chinook.

This information has gotten harder to find, and I don't think I ever saw returns to the hatchery, just releases.  From what I remember, the production of summer chinook was half the size of fall chinook - so 1 million fall fish released, 500,000 summer fish released.  Now the fall chinook program is being doubled to 2 million (for the orcas) but I don't think they plan to increase the summer production.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03:51 PM »

the release for 2017 was 521k+ per the final brood report issued in Feb 2019. I guess the number of does needed for that sort of production is 100 to 150?

It does seem to me the actual return is much lower than what one would expect for that size of release. Even at 1% that would mean around 5000 adults. Most realistic estimates I have heard has been is perhaps in the hundreds let alone the thousands.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:41:33 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »

So, I assume they will be allowed a net in October as well if the do not receive their share of reds ?

I believe there also is a plan for a September 20-October 20 fsc fishery to take place in the same area.
someone needs to take the excess stock of Chinooks.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

I'd rather have seen DFO shut down rec fishing on the CV instead. That would allow the sockeye to pass through safely while still addressing the FN complaint that the rec fishers are catching fish before they are. Was planning on going out tomorrow... will still go and keep my fingers crossed that the nets stay away one more day 8)

stsfisher

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

the release for 2017 was 521k+ per the final brood report issued in Feb 2019. I guess the number does needed for that sort of production is 100 to 150?

It does seem to me the actual return is much lower than what one would expect for that size of release. Even at 1% that would mean around 5000 adults. Most realistic estimates I have heard has been is perhaps in the hundreds let alone the thousands.

Ya I am not sure the 520k represents summer chinook releases only. I estimate far less than a 1% return based on that number. Like you I would guess this run to be in the 1500-2500 pieces at very most and that I honestly think would be on the high side.
Ralph do you have a link to data for this number?

stsfisher

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »

I'd rather have seen DFO shut down rec fishing on the CV instead. That would allow the sockeye to pass through safely while still addressing the FN complaint that the rec fishers are catching fish before they are. Was planning on going out tomorrow... will still go and keep my fingers crossed that the nets stay away one more day 8)

Deffinitly the better of 2 evils option if a guy had to choose just one. But let's face it, the majority will never hear of this opening, continue to buy licences and tackle from the local shops, and go home thinking they just didn,t find them, not knowing they just are not there.
This satisfys both FN requirements and allows tackle shops to sell gear. Money and greed is what the salmon sector has become.

stsfisher

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »

I believe there also is a plan for a September 20-October 20 fsc fishery to take place in the same area.
someone needs to take the excess stock of Chinooks.

Excess stock? Where?

stsfisher

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »

This information has gotten harder to find, and I don't think I ever saw returns to the hatchery, just releases.

Dam near impossible to find. Unlike the province who gives detailed reporting numbers on stockings. I mean really how hard is it to keep these records.
How is it I can find steelhead stocking reports with one Google input, but can't find anything on DFO,s most important portfolio?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »

Excess stock? Where?

Fall chinook in the Chilliwack is almost all excess.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »

Ya I am not sure the 520k represents summer chinook releases only. I estimate far less than a 1% return based on that number. Like you I would guess this run to be in the 1500-2500 pieces at very most and that I honestly think would be on the high side.
Ralph do you have a link to data for this number?

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2019/SC&NC-IFMP-2019-PSR-eng.htm

yes it is the summer red chinook only. I remember hearing there are years that less than 600 fish reach the hatchery.

Here is the same report for 2018:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2020/SC&NC-IFMP-2020-PSR-eng.htm

stsfisher

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2019/SC&NC-IFMP-2019-PSR-eng.htm

yes it is the summer red chinook only. I remember hearing there are years that less than 600 fish reach the hatchery.

Here is the same report for 2018:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2020/SC&NC-IFMP-2020-PSR-eng.htm

Thanks Ralph!
What a disaster. I may fish 1-2 for reds each year as it really is not worth the effort anymore, knowing returns are so dismal. I was considering a boat trip or 2 next week, but I think I will for go that so I am not part of the problem.

stsfisher

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »

Fall chinook in the Chilliwack is almost all excess.
To some, but their numbers are not near what they were before and the River sure misses the nutrients the excess used to provide. Excess is a strong statement when the excess gets turned into dog and other crap food at the EWOS plant, instead of providing essential nutrients.

stsfisher

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »

" Gill nets" as a pilot until the end of August. What a joke...........
Why did anyone bother trying to protect endangered cultas sockeye the last 30years with this type of crap being allowed to happen.
I don't care what people say about the selective 8" mesh, it will kill sockeye and it will kill cultas sockeye. Just look at the test fishery being conducted on the Fraser with 8" mesh, guaranteed there will be sockeye numbers included.
Oh and a tooth tangle fishery pilot, possibility?
Why are they not piolting a less intrusive fishery such as a wheel. Oh that's right because it takes more time, more persons and more effort. Gill net takes 2 persons, twice a day, a wheel would require full days maybe rotating shifts.
Yes I'm very disappointed this is being sold to the public in the paper as a pilot project to gather information..........joke!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »

The hatchery had summer chinook returns back to the hatchery of

2017 -885
2018- 874
2019- 1455

They give this info out at Sfac meetings you guys should attend.

To put the survival in perspective fall chinook returns to the hatchery were

2017-8897
2018- 13811
2019- 5664

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:20:35 PM by wildmanyeah »