Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Define locally  (Read 25626 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Define locally
« on: April 23, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »

So with the provincial health officer telling people they can only hunt for fish locally, I would like to know what exactly Locally means. Anyone have an idea ?

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Define locally
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »

So with the provincial health officer telling people they can only hunt for fish locally, I would like to know what exactly Locally means. Anyone have an idea ?

I'm looking to shoot a moose in Lynn Valley, behind the mall maybe?

Good question and one that will vary significantly depending on how and where you live.  I do not think there is a definitive number and it will always be down to personal interpretation and personal ethics

I have interpreted it as being anything more than what is required to get you to and back from work and to feed and supply yourself.  For many people that would mean staying within 10-15 km of home.  I will consider fishing Rice Lake or the Cap, but something like the Squamish Rivers, Lafarge Lake or Vedder are not local to me.  my 2 cents.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »

I would like to know what exactly Locally means.

You can't define it exactly because it changes from person to person. Knnn's answer speaks to that very well.

As residents of Vancouver and area, I think the question to ask is: do I risk bringing the virus from a larger population centre (with larger, better-equipped hospitals) to a smaller one (with fewer medical resources)? Keep in mind that many infected people show no symptoms so the fact that you feel fine isn't good enough.

An even easier metric: if you have to ask if __________ is local, then the answer's probably no :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:39:24 AM by Blood_Orange »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »

I have a much looser def'n of "local" than Knnn

As a Lower Mainland resident, to me "local" is anywhere from Squamish to Hope.

If I can get back and forth on one tank of gas, can do it in one day and not stay overnight anywhere, or need to buy groceries, then that is local in my books.

I continue to fish alone, or by travelling in separate vehicles with my partners, within the my Lower Mainland boundaries, by meeting the above three criteria.     

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »

These are Dr Henry's comments as quoted in the Vancouver Sun April 3rd:

“There are many of our smaller communities that are very concerned about people coming to vacation homes, to fishing lodges, etc.,” Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer, said during her daily news conference with Health Minister Adrian Dix.

“I am asking people now to forgo those types of travel — all non-essential travel — particularly to smaller communities where we might not have the resources to support you should you become ill or should there be transmission in those communities.”

Henry said compliance — it’s a request, not a formal health order — is key to protecting vulnerable people, particularly seniors.

The consistent message from Dr. Henry and every other Public Health Official has been that people should stay home as much as possible, remain in their local area and travel only when essential.

Local area means within a neighborhood or something within a short distance radius. Travel for essential service (ie Health Care) and supplies (groceries) obviously meets the test for people who live within rural areas.

I don't see any of this as "subjective" or hard to understand.

FWIW BCs covid-19 case trend continues to be upward. Yesterday it was announced 71 new cases were identified. The current level of active cases of 626 as of April 22nd is the highest of the entire outbreak.

There is nothing in these numbers that supports a broad interpretation of 'local'.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »

Agree with RalphH on this one.
My thinking is fish local is within 15 minute drive.
If you think there is no fishing hole 15 minutes of your dwelling then you do not live in Supernatural British Columbia.
With this shutdown and lack of traffic ya should get there in no time.
Stay close to home folks....a virus is lurking to get you. Like that Predator movie with Arnold S.
Well boys...we are in the trench...but I'm jumping out and heading over level land ...store / pharmacy ...wish me to get back to trench safely. ( like ww1 ww2 wars )

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 02:30:18 PM »

I have a much looser def'n of "local" than Knnn

As a Lower Mainland resident, to me "local" is anywhere from Squamish to Hope.

If I can get back and forth on one tank of gas, can do it in one day and not stay overnight anywhere, or need to buy groceries, then that is local in my books.

I continue to fish alone, or by travelling in separate vehicles with my partners, within the my Lower Mainland boundaries, by meeting the above three criteria.   

I agree Local is anywhere where you can travel back and forth in 1 day.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:38:41 PM »

Or...this just out, hunting and fishing are considered to be an essential service https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/essential-services-covid-19#food

And... https://bcwf.bc.ca/hunting-and-angling-included-in-essential-services/

I take BCWF at their word that they consulted with the PHO in developing their infographic.

"Fish and hunt locally", it says.  Open to some interpretation and intentionally ambiguous, but I would suggest 15 minutes, or within your own neighbourhood, is too narrow an interpretation. For me to interpret local as within the Lower Mainland is consistent with the letter and the spirit of the recommendations.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Perhaps people should focus more on what they do to reduce risks than justify their attempts to re-engineer the English language.

https://bcwf.bc.ca/hunting-and-angling-included-in-essential-services/

The BCWF believes the provincial government should be finding ways to allow British Columbians to stay local, get outside safely and enjoy our public spaces, especially in provincial parks

also note the Gov't announcement says fishing as in Aquaculture and Fishing, not angling. Not sure what kind of foodstuff is open for hunting unless you are a fan of springtime raccoon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:01:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »

" I will be heading to my LOCAL grocery store"
In no way would I ever think my local grocery store was anywhere in the lower mainland. Use your head people!

I live in Chilliwack and would consider fishing in Chilliwack.

FCKing numskulls I tell you........

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »

Drove to near Squamish yesterday from the Lower Mainland.  No cars around where I parked.  Did not see anyone or stop in Squamish for items.  Rode my bike for a couple hours, fished for a couple hours.  I can't see the problem.

If I invited some friends, carpooled with them and stopped at Sunny Chibas for fried chicken that would be an issue.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »

Drove to near Squamish yesterday from the Lower Mainland.  No cars around where I parked.  Did not see anyone or stop in Squamish for items.  Rode my bike for a couple hours, fished for a couple hours.  I can't see the problem.

If I invited some friends, carpooled with them and stopped at Sunny Chibas for fried chicken that would be an issue.

There was no one around because everyone else was staying close to home  ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »

I agree Local is anywhere where you can travel back and forth in 1 day.

what a load of *. I can get to Nelson and back in a day.

GordJ

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 05:52:20 PM »

I have tried to find the directive that contains the instruction to stay local. Can someone show me a link?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »

what a load of *. I can get to Nelson and back in a day.

Lol

Take a chill pill dude no one is driving to Nelson fishing for the day and then driving home.

Nor was I suggesting that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:03:33 PM by wildmanyeah »