Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC Meeting Last Night  (Read 6581 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
At The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC Meeting Last Night
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:33:59 AM »

I filmed this last night as Fraser Valley Salmon Society president Dean Werk makes a presentation to Fisheries Oceans Pacific Salmon Management Team. Thanks Dean for this
 and writing this and giving the presentation as the FVSS continues to take a front line for you, the recreational angler.

Sorry for the bad quality of the tape and filming at the end but the. message is the most important thing. I need a new camera.

https://youtu.be/kDWUptiZdlk

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: At The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC Meeting Last Night
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »

wow piss poor attendance, guess no one cares about fishing anymore.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

Hey, at least angling reps outnumber DFO staff for once. ;D ::)

After being involved in this process for 15 years, I'm sadly still the youngest one there. I thought with all the bitching and whining about the closures by so many vocal individuals on social media and forum, at least a few more of these well informed individuals would show up to give their feedbacks. ::)

Thanks to FVSS directors (they made up 6 of the 9 reps last night) for the ongoing effort.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »

I took you up on your challenge Rod, and this past week I attended my first SFAB meeting. The angling reps were quite concerned about the saltwater chinook closures, which ain't my jam, but it was interesting to listen to the conversation. There were a couple of very interesting presentation about 2019 south coast salmon stock assessment. Pretty grim overall, with Fraser pinks being the one semi-bright spot.

What was interesting is the relative health of the summer (Thompson) 4-1 chinook, as compared to the spring and summer 5-2 and 4-2 stocks. Since the 4-1 just spend 1 year in freshwater as opposed to the other stocks that spend 2, the presenter wondered aloud if there was so something going on in freshwater in that the fish that spent less time in it fared better. He wasn’t substituting causation for correlation, and was just wondering aloud, but it was food for thought.

I will say that I was gained a new appreciation for the complexities of stock assessment, the effort and resources that DFO puts into it, and the challenges of managing fisheries when stocks/species are co-mingled, especially when some stocks arrive late as the Fraser pinks did this year.  Sure DFO made some unpopular management decisions, but it becomes harder to vilify them when you listen to them and understand the complexities of the issues.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 11:19:48 AM »

I took you up on your challenge Rod, and this past week I attended my first SFAB meeting. The angling reps were quite concerned about the saltwater chinook closures, which ain't my jam, but it was interesting to listen to the conversation. There were a couple of very interesting presentation about 2019 south coast salmon stock assessment. Pretty grim overall, with Fraser pinks being the one semi-bright spot.

What was interesting is the relative health of the summer (Thompson) 4-1 chinook, as compared to the spring and summer 5-2 and 4-2 stocks. Since the 4-1 just spend 1 year in freshwater as opposed to the other stocks that spend 2, the presenter wondered aloud if there was so something going on in freshwater in that the fish that spent less time in it fared better. He wasn’t substituting causation for correlation, and was just wondering aloud, but it was food for thought.

I will say that I was gained a new appreciation for the complexities of stock assessment, the effort and resources that DFO puts into it, and the challenges of managing fisheries when stocks/species are co-mingled, especially when some stocks arrive late as the Fraser pinks did this year.  Sure DFO made some unpopular management decisions, but it becomes harder to vilify them when you listen to them and understand the complexities of the issues.

The Chilliwack SFAC tends to focus more on all the freshwater salmon stuff, Thanks for coming Clarki
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:22:38 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »

Hey, at least angling reps outnumber DFO staff for once. ;D ::)

After being involved in this process for 15 years, I'm sadly still the youngest one there. I thought with all the bitching and whining about the closures by so many vocal individuals on social media and forum, at least a few more of these well informed individuals would show up to give their feedbacks. ::)

Thanks to FVSS directors (they made up 6 of the 9 reps last night) for the ongoing effort.
And I was the oldest.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »

I took you up on your challenge Rod, and this past week I attended my first SFAB meeting.

That's great Clarki! Good to hear.

Stock assessment and forecast is way more complex than people think. The one thing that irks me to see average joes suggesting that they could do a better job on managing our fish than those who are academically qualified for the job.

As frustrating as these issues can be, it's really nice to sit through the 3 hour meeting to listen to all the information being presented. We always walk out with a much better understanding on the challenges ahead of us.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »

wow piss poor attendance, guess no one cares about fishing anymore.

I don't know how many times I've said this. There is nothing left fight for.
Although I don't take part anymore, I did in the 90s when we actually thought we had a bit of a voice. Here in 2019 our voice box has literally been ripped out of our throat. We have zero say...zero influence. What is the point of attending?
If the Fraser Pink fishery fiasco this year wasn't enough to show people the reality of where sporties rate....nothing will.

How is it that the size of the run magically went from 5million to almost 10 million in a matter of days....and of course it wasn't announced until after all the nice fresh fish had got through....and even then.....we still didn't get an opening anyways.
You can believe what you want. We were outright lied to in order to keep us off the river.

It still boggles my mind that people think we can win this....It's over. Why would anyone want to waste 3 hours of their evening to hear nothing more than lip service?
Sorry for being negative, but I'm a realist...and unlike many members here....I do see the forest for the trees.

You say you guess no one cares about fishing. That has nothing to do with it. I'd give anything to have those glory days back.
What you are asking is for us to climb Mt Everest in a tank top and flipflops. Do you even understand what we are up against?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »

Ha! Cool. Take a hike, stay uneducated, be part of the problem. :)

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »

Ha! Cool. Take a hike, stay uneducated, be part of the problem. :)

Why is it you when I ask valid questions, you just make childish comments?
Why don't you address my questions....and I know you know they are definitely real and valid.
And don't give me the BS that its because you don't like me.....you do the same to many other members here when they ask the same questions.....you just conveniently sidestep them.

Not to mention it's really arrogant of you to assume I'm not educated in these matters. I've been doing this much longer than you.
The main difference between you and me is I'm not a sheep that believes everything DFO tells us. I actually recognize a lie when one is in front of me.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »

How is it that the size of the run magically went from 5million to almost 10 million in a matter of days....and of course it wasn't

99% of the pinks returned though the JDF and dfo is poor at enumerating them when that happens. Apparently the pinks were relatively early while the late run sockeye were late and that created an overlap in timing and tuff management conditions.

Don't worry Robert there lots of old cranky dudes that show up so you were well represented lol my comment was more towards the young people that complain.

Like it or not DFO uses this process to "consult" with rep anglers.  Less people, less voices and they can say well 5 people showed up.

everyone feels your frustration we are all frustrated but we have to try not to give up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:38:45 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »

No, just you actually. The attitude is pathetic and the opinions being spewed out demonstrates the uneducated (on these subjects, not in general) part.

Hey, but don’t take it personally. I am after all, judging an anonymous individual on the internet who’s using my platform to discourage people from bettering the world. How you actually are in real life I have no idea. I prefer to invest my time and effort on people who actually want to make a difference in person. And yes, I am arrogant that way. 8)

Robert_G

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »

99% of the pinks returned though the JDF and dfo is poor at enumerating them when that happens. Apparently the pinks were relatively early while the late run sockeye were late and that created an overlap in timing and tuff management conditions.

I don't know how long you've been doing this, but what I can tell you is that I've heard that song and dance too many times now to believe I'm being told the truth from DFO.

I prefer to invest my time and effort on people who actually want to make a difference in person.

Encouraging people on learning how to piss in the wind sounds like a great idea. Can't say I've ever tried it before.

And yes, I am arrogant

First thing you've been right about today.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 07:58:57 PM »

I don't know how long you've been doing this, but what I can tell you is that I've heard that song and dance too many times now to believe I'm being told the truth from DFO.

Encouraging people on learning how to piss in the wind sounds like a great idea. Can't say I've ever tried it before.

First thing you've been right about today.

Here is a friendly reminder in case you forgot why your "valid" questions don't get answered. 8)

Like I said, I'm not about to engage in a meaningful discussion on racism and discrimination with someone who lacks the empathy and respect for others (not toward me, I couldn't care less what you think about me, since everything is based on what has been presented online), not just in this particular discussion, but in all previous threads.

Robert_G

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »

Here is a friendly reminder in case you forgot why your "valid" questions don't get answered. 8)

And like I said....there are many others here you don't answer as well....regardless of whether in your opinion, you find them respectful or not....so keep your BS about respect and empathy to yourself. I'm not buying it.