Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC Meeting Last Night  (Read 6579 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: At The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC Meeting Last Night
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »

That's cool. Here's a cookie for being proficient at selective reading.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »

99% of the pinks returned though the JDF and dfo is poor at enumerating them when that happens. Apparently the pinks were relatively early while the late run sockeye were late and that created an overlap in timing and tuff management conditions.

The overlap delayed both the in-river FSC and rec openings. Rec opening was not going to happen until FSC takes place, that is just the way it is at the moment, but I don't believe that arrangement couldn't be modified. Non-tidal remained closed due to selectivity concerns, and I agree with that. What I don't agree with is the lack of will to find a solution to it. The chair of the UFV SFAC put forward a new motion on this particular matter on Thursday night, hopefully that will speed up the process on tackle regulations a bit. The inconsistency between the pink salmon rec opening/closure outside the mouth and in-river also needs to be looked at. Why was there a 4/day allowance in the salt while both the FSC and rec tidal and non-tidal Fraser were closed. One recommendation I put forward was to look into options, it shouldn't just be either 4/day or nothing, we should be looking at C/R, 1/day, 2/day as alternatives based on how well the stock is doing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 03:59:20 AM »

As many of you know I and a few others said many times a few years ago on this forum that BB would come up and bite us. Well here it is from FOC.

Dear Mr. Clapton:

Thank you for your correspondence of September 15, 2019 regarding pink salmon management measures.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) recognizes that challenges are being faced by all who depend on the Pacific salmon resource for their sustenance, livelihood and recreation. The Department works with all harvest sectors to improve the management of the fishery to meet conservation objectives and achieve fishery objectives.

The Department’s Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon (the Policy) establishes clear priorities for fisheries management. The Policy confirms that the primary objective in fisheries management is the conservation of Pacific salmon stocks, followed by government obligations to provide harvest opportunities for First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) requirements and treaty obligations.

The Policy encourages selective fishing, and DFO appreciates the recreational fishing community’s efforts to support and promote any selective fishing measures that reduce impacts on non-target species.

Recreational fishing for pink salmon upstream of Mission has remained closed primarily because in this area “bottoming bouncing” or “flossing” has been common, and this practice can result in the interception of sockeye. Given the extremely low returns of sockeye to the Fraser River this year, and very high level of conservation concern, such impacts are not something that could be accommodated this season.

While a leader restriction could reduce impacts to sockeye, the recreational sector has expressed mixed support in the past. Regulatory changes, which involve a lengthy process, would be required for DFO to implement such restrictions.

Beach seining has been permitted to enable harvest of chinook and pink salmon for First Nations FSC purposes. Sockeye retention has not been permitted in these fisheries, and the release mortality rate for sockeye and coho is low. 

The opportunity for recreational pink fishing downstream from Mission closed September 20, 2019, as the steelhead window closure came into effect in that area on September 21, 2019. The steelhead window closure provides a high degree of protection for steelhead migrating up the Fraser River, with closures of commercial and recreational fisheries for 42 days over the peak of the steelhead return. First Nations FSC chum fisheries will also be constrained, with 27-day closures in effect. 

To protect the resource, we also need the public’s help. If you see suspicious activity or believe an offence has occurred, please contact the Observe, Record and Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or email DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

As you are aware, the SFAB represents recreational fishing interests to the DFO on areas of concern to the recreational fishing community. I encourage you to continue to engage with the SFAB for further discussion of these issues.

Thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Reid

Regional Director General

Pacific Region

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »

where are the schedules, locations agenda of the SFAB meetings published. I didn't even know they were generally public.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 08:56:01 AM »

They are open to the public

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/smon/sfab-ccps/loc-south-sud-eng.html

The minutes and agenda use to be posted online but apparently they can only post them now online if they also translate then to French. So they don’t get posted anymore.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:04:08 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »

does the Province do anything similar?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »

does the Province do anything similar?

Apparently they have a group that meets but i do not have the information for that. Right now they are looking at shutting down sturgeon fishing during spawning and freshet.  They had a rep from the provence at our meeting last time.

That being said if the local SFAC put together a motion to the provence about a local freshwater salmon/sturgeon/trout/steelhead issue I bet the provence would seriously consider it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:23:52 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »

Take the time to listen to Bob Hooten and he will tell us how the fishery is managed by FOC.  https://globalnews.ca/bc/program/the-jill-bennett-show

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »

No the province doesn't have a similar group that is open to the public participation.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »

No the province doesn't have a similar group that is open to the public participation.
Wildmanyeah is onto something. The province has a group that meets with stakeholders to discuss regulatory issues. I had chat with the guy at SFAB as he gave a brief presentation about proposed regulatory changes to the sturgeon fishery. He gave me the name and acronym of the group but I forget! I have him my contact info to get on the mailing list.
So something similar’ish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

The group is called SCAAT.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »

SCAAT... which is an acronym for?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »

I just got some more info. SCAAT = South Coast Angling Advisory Team.

Public involvement is through the participation of invited NGO's.