Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Bar Slide Update  (Read 25730 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Big Bar Slide Update
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »

They should have let the private sector clear it in the first place. It would have been done on time and on budget. The thousands of fish that died because of the stress of being transported is shameful. It's time Salmon fisheries become a provincial issue and not a federal one.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »

They should have let the private sector clear it in the first place. It would have been done on time and on budget. The thousands of fish that died because of the stress of being transported is shameful. It's time Salmon fisheries become a provincial issue and not a federal one.

that's what an RFI Public tender does...puts it out to the Private sector to propose how to do it and tell Procurement Canada what it will cost.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 06:06:05 AM »

that's what an RFI Public tender does...puts it out to the Private sector to propose how to do it and tell Procurement Canada what it will cost.

WOW REALLY ? I had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up for me Ralph. What would I ever do without you. I swear, life would be an endless struggle without you pointing out the obvious for all of us. I'm so ever grateful to have you hold my hand and guide me through the never ending darkness. Thank you !

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 06:45:39 AM »

WOW REALLY ? I had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up for me Ralph. What would I ever do without you. I swear, life would be an endless struggle without you pointing out the obvious for all of us. I'm so ever grateful to have you hold my hand and guide me through the never ending darkness. Thank you !

Sheesh.. and thanks for your endless list of tired cliches such as:

the private sector was involved "in the first place".. you think DFO has rock scalers, demolition experts and helicopters sitting in government work years waiting for deployment in the advent of an emergency? Take a pill .
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »

Sheesh.. and thanks for your endless list of tired cliches such as:

the private sector was involved "in the first place".. you think DFO has rock scalers, demolition experts and helicopters sitting in government work years waiting for deployment in the advent of an emergency? Take a pill .

I dont think they have those folks. I dont. All I'm saying is, it should be a provincial issue without any federal involvement at all. The province should have consulted with FN groups, the rec and commercial sector AS WELL as other industry experts across North America and fixed the problem at the start. THEN hand it all over to the private sector to do the work without any involvement. It's a provincial issue. The federal government in Ottawa should get out of BC issues when it comes to our resources. We manage the forestry sector, mining etc. If FN groups, rec and commercial in the province actually had their voices heard, our fisheries would be in a better state.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »

you might wish to review the information on the Incident page of the BC Provincial Government Website:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/fish/fish-passage/big-bar-landslide-incident

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »

No early stuart sockeye spawned successfully this year...

Let that sink in a bit.

I don't think the gravity and seriousness of this situation has been felt or reported properly yet.

or maybe only a select handful of people are left that actually care.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:38:26 AM by wildmanyeah »

santefe

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »

Those pictures are impressive and give an idea if the magnitude of the work involved but unless one can actually be there to actually hear and see you can only imagine how big a job this actually is.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »

I honestly think some spawned.. I imagine it is hard to be sure 100% of the return did not spawn?

Also this is something that likely happens now and again in nature. I doubt this is the first time there was a slide to block the Fraser and I doubt it will be the last time. Fish obviously have some mechanism to repopulate off years that were for one reason or another destroyed. Even 1 year early or 1 year late returning fish should slowly repopulate in the near future as the slide is cleared. Maybe strays even?

Im positive there is a mechanism to repopulate runs naturally as there has been river blocking rockslides plenty of times in history that eventually clear im sure.

Not that this helps the people who rely on these returns in the immidiate future

The science says less than 100 made it to the spawning grounds and of thoes that made it the chance of them spawning successfully is low.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »

The science says less than 100 made it to the spawning grounds and of thoes that made it the chance of them spawning successfully is low.
Latest ES numbers are estimated to be 89 fish, 43 females, 0 jacks.  Only 14 carcasses were recovered so % successfully spawned is unknown but being as these were extremely stressed fish, gamete viability is expected to be poor.
Of the 17 ES females spawned at the Cultus Lake lab, 20k eggs remain. I have no doubt other early and mid summer sockeye stocks on this cycle are in just as serious a problem.
Fisheries regulations and in river FN FSC management will be worth watching 4 years from now.

TNAngler

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »

I honestly think some spawned.. I imagine it is hard to be sure 100% of the return did not spawn?

Also this is something that likely happens now and again in nature. I doubt this is the first time there was a slide to block the Fraser and I doubt it will be the last time. Fish obviously have some mechanism to repopulate off years that were for one reason or another destroyed. Even 1 year early or 1 year late returning fish should slowly repopulate in the near future as the slide is cleared. Maybe strays even?

Im positive there is a mechanism to repopulate runs naturally as there has been river blocking rockslides plenty of times in history that eventually clear im sure.

Not that this helps the people who rely on these returns in the immidiate future

Agree except I would guess most of those happened when there were plenty of fish every year and so the number of off cycle fish was significant.  Now, the number of on cycle fish isn't always significant which means fewer off cycle.  It might be too much this time.  Time will tell.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »

Latest ES numbers are estimated to be 89 fish, 43 females, 0 jacks.  Only 14 carcasses were recovered so % successfully spawned is unknown but being as these were extremely stressed fish, gamete viability is expected to be poor.
Of the 17 ES females spawned at the Cultus Lake lab, 20k eggs remain. I have no doubt other early and mid summer sockeye stocks on this cycle are in just as serious a problem.
Fisheries regulations and in river FN FSC management will be worth watching 4 years from now.

it's worth considering those numbers in light of the recorded escapement past Mission of 26,000.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »

I doubt will see the Fraser River open to sports fishing before August for the rest of our lives.  Like Rod said to me a few years ago its time to focus on lake fishing and enjoy those opportunities.  Wise words considering what has transpired since then.

FSC opportunities will be shifted from Early runs to mid and late runs, we seen it this year. Sports fishing cant take place until FSC does.  The pressure from illegal fishing in early runs will keep them rebuilding to a state where commercial and rec opportunities will be allowed. 

Even in areas where we have completely removed fishing exploitation salmon are still failing to replace themselves.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »

The complete interview I filmed with Dean Werk and the CBC National news on Monday. I noticed the story did not run last night so we will check tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.gadsden.7/videos/10159229228309056/