Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Bar Slide Update  (Read 25741 times)

fisherforever

Re: Big Bar Slide Update
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »

To kill off the salmon and to dam the Fraser. That's the long term plan. >:(
It's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it. How else can you explain the lack of meaningful action on something so important?

Sickening.
.   I’ve thought the same thing since the 90’s

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »

::)

glog

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »

went through the updated presentation thanks by the way.

on page 21 of update is a photo of the scalers working on the rock face.
Note that it appears to be beneath a large over hang.

I wouldn't be working or scaling below that overhang, no miner ever would, too dangerous.

That block will come down sometime. The only way to work the block is from behind not in front.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »

::)

Roll your eyes all you want Rodney, but BIG BUSINESS has had their eyes on the Fraser for hydro purposes for almost a century now. Does Moran Dam ring a bell? It's been defeated so far, but the way greed is spreading, it wouldn't surprise me that one day we see it happen.

Robert_G

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »

I don't know when Red Tape was invented but it took over 30 years to get most of the problems from the 1913 Hell's Gate slide addressed. It still isn't as passable as it was before the slide. It took 5 years to make the Seymour River slide passable. Much the same with the Coquihalla.

We've come along way since 1913....

Roll your eyes all you want Rodney, but BIG BUSINESS has had their eyes on the Fraser for hydro purposes for almost a century now. Does Moran Dam ring a bell? It's been defeated so far, but the way greed is spreading, it wouldn't surprise me that one day we see it happen.

Rod believes everything the men in suits tell him.

For crying out loud, the world must be coming to an end when I agree 100% with Milo.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »

Ripple rock was easy compared to this because they could just blow up the rock to all sides and leave it their.

It’s not just enough to blow up the rock that’s creating the waterfall they also need to blow up the sides to widen it to slow down the velocity of water.

They need to blow up the rock and make it small enough that the river will take it away or blow it up in small enough chunks that it can be removed by equipment.

Seymour it took 5 years and they blew it up into small pieces each spring the water would take away some of the rock.

You could also tunnel though the rock and create a spliway to
Divert water but again dealing with the Fraser river here not a small project. I just seen in the news that for the Seymour slide that had to submit 126 page plan to WCB for approval. Can’t imagine that was fast to do.

Something needs to be done and it needs to be done fast

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »

For crying out loud, the world must be coming to an end when I agree 100% with Milo.

There's always a first for everything Robert.  ;D

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2019, 07:05:19 PM »

.....why can't they bring in the military?...dont we already pay them to blow stuff up?...the remote location screams airstrike....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »

.....why can't they bring in the military?...dont we already pay them to blow stuff up?...the remote location screams airstrike....

This is true. On the other hand, Trudeau would have to make up his mind and buy the damn jets already  the F35 ? The used F18's from Australia? The new super hornet from Boeing ? Or the F35 again. I have a better idea. Why doesnt he waste the 10's of millions of dollars already spent on the development of the F35 program by the Harper government and not have plans to buy anything........ oh wait. That already happened.the military is a joke. Not the members but the EXTREME lack of funding. This government is too concerned about handing 10's of millions of dollars to the Clinton foundation and buyouts to former terrorists. Get the military to blow it up ? I honestly cant think of a better joke than the thought of that.

glog

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »

Actually it could be done by controlled blasting on benches moving the rock to the west away from the river.
Start with a cut/trench  at the back and then blast new rock into the hole and remove the rock in benches, repeat until down so jts above the river level.
Then blast the opening into the river bed removing the narrow area completely.
This is so simple for open pit miners.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »

They also need to remove 75 thousand cubes of material that is under water

“In a request for information from the private sector that closed on Friday, the federal government said initial estimates show 75,000 cubic metres of material was deposited in the river and most of it is still there. The request sought construction and environmental remediation work to support the break up and removal of rock from the site of the slide during the first available low-water window between December and March.”
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:52:04 AM by wildmanyeah »

glog

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »

That could be accomplished in the last stage of stabilizing the point and widening the river as the flow would be spread out and the rock can easily be removed from the last bench with excavators.  Simply removing the rock would only be a temporary/band aid  measure as  the rest of the point is sure to collapse  in time. If one looks at the slope on the east side its a lot flatter than the west side. In addition the river has cut through the rock bedding plane, creating unstable planes like the one that created the slide. Its no use doing a 10% job only to have to return when the next slide occurs, which could be sooner than later given those overhangs visible in the picture. Use benches cut back the point then remove the rock from the river then slope the last bench to give a gentle drop in then river fore the fish to move through.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »

That could be accomplished in the last stage of stabilizing the point and widening the river as the flow would be spread out and the rock can easily be removed from the last bench with excavators.  Simply removing the rock would only be a temporary/band aid  measure as  the rest of the point is sure to collapse  in time. If one looks at the slope on the east side its a lot flatter than the west side. In addition the river has cut through the rock bedding plane, creating unstable planes like the one that created the slide. Its no use doing a 10% job only to have to return when the next slide occurs, which could be sooner than later given those overhangs visible in the picture. Use benches cut back the point then remove the rock from the river then slope the last bench to give a gentle drop in then river fore the fish to move through.

If you know of a company that can do that in the next 60-90 days then you should of got them to apply or get into contact.

glog

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »

don't know of a specific company, but there is Teck's highland valley mine near by at Logan Lake,  that has all the equipment needed to do it.
They might be able to help. 

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskBRHAlmDg
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."