Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Bar Slide Update  (Read 25929 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Big Bar Slide Update
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »

The complete interview I filmed with Dean Werk and the CBC National news on Monday. I noticed the story did not run last night so we will check tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.gadsden.7/videos/10159229228309056/

Looks like DFO gave an update pretty sad this may not even be fixed before next summer.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6257001/big-bar-landslide-phase-2/
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/high-risk-threatened-salmon-species-won-t-be-fully-rescued-after-fraser-river-slide-dfo-1.4716595

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 04:56:50 AM »

Imo the only openings we will see on the Fraser is the once in every 4 yr sockeye run. Not really fishing mind you, harvesting is what I would call it. Seems DFO is dragging their feet on getting this land slide blasted out by the private sector? I mean it took awhile before it was even discovered! How come they don’t do helicopter patrols to observe the river? Our once mighty Salmon runs are starting to look like the East Cod fishery... :'(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 08:04:28 AM »

I guess in any post mortem of the incident, some sort of inspection of the river has to be considered. GIS systems and satellite photography are new technologies that could make this more efficient and less expensive than direct inspection. The Province already does a lot of work in this regard. The experience is there. Identifying areas that are geologically at high risk would be required if that's not already available.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

glog

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »

Let the miners have a go at this. Take out the narrow part with open pit  style benches, which widens the river allowing rocks to be removed.
It wouldn't take that long for the miners to drill and control blast that point that sticks out that is causing the problems.

Looking at photos the angles of the rock are parallel to slide direction so this rock unless resolved will go again. Scaling with crow bar is like using a teaspoon.

As for photography use a drone aircraft that will give a great view of the canyon areas. We use drones all the time planning our mining and exploration roads.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »

Let the miners have a go at this. Take out the narrow part with open pit  style benches, which widens the river allowing rocks to be removed.
It wouldn't take that long for the miners to drill and control blast that point that sticks out that is causing the problems.

Looking at photos the angles of the rock are parallel to slide direction so this rock unless resolved will go again. Scaling with crow bar is like using a teaspoon.

interesting suggestions - hopefully they get considered

As for photography use a drone aircraft that will give a great view of the canyon areas. We use drones all the time planning our mining and exploration roads.

yup! There are other lower cost options than helicopter inspections.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »

interesting suggestions - hopefully they get considered

The problem is time, I worked for a big earth moving company up north in a remote location. Need housing for workers, need to bring in gas. Just the Mob for this type of work takes months. That's not even considering the Engineering, feasibility, archaeology, approvals from first nations and authorities. Then there is the issue of the public awareness of this so much risk for a company to rush it.

I phoned into the public webex this week. It sounds like they are looking at technologies to just get fish past it in 2020 and then looking at possible long term solutions like hells gate to it in 2021 and beyond. 

glog

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2019, 09:10:57 AM »

Ah yes the red tape. That's the problem with any project today, takes 10X  longer to get permission than it does to do the actual work.

It would not take a big crew to move and mine the rock. 

Looking at the photographs, that's how to solve the problem The area is clearly not stable and the frost and that will eventually result in additional large blocks sliding into to the river.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/photos-show-big-bar-area-before-and-after-landslide-1.4510958

The side view of the slide (photo 2) shows the fabric of rock dipping into the river also note the color change in the rock near at bottom , that looks like a slide plane. Finally, in the very last photograph note the color change in vegetation in the point sticking out and how it connects to the fracture to the  left. Under the right conditions that entire block could go, blocking the river.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »

Pressure on to move rocks the size of 'houses and cars' at Big Bar landslide

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...-size-of-houses-and-cars-at-big-bar-landslide

Robert_G

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »

Get some dynamite and just do it. Clean up the rocks and be done.
All the red tape BS is why government sucks. Talkers in suits accomplish nothing.
Blowing up some rocks in the middle of winter is not going to make things worse.
There are many professionals who know how dynamite works and how it doesn't. They know what their doing. Blow up the freaking rock slide and be done with it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »

Back in the day before red tape was even invented something would have been done in a matter of months.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »

I don't know when Red Tape was invented but it took over 30 years to get most of the problems from the 1913 Hell's Gate slide addressed. It still isn't as passable as it was before the slide. It took 5 years to make the Seymour River slide passable. Much the same with the Coquihalla.

dobrolub

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »

Saw an article on colonizing Mars the other day. Building bases on the Moon. Mind-boggling. We could do pretty much anything, except ... fix that damn slide!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »

I mean who wouldn’t want to see a Ripple Rock explosion in the canyon

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »

Kill off the wild salmon, dam the Fraser, and build more fish farms. That's the long term plan. >:(
It's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it. How else can you explain the lack of meaningful action on something so important?

Sickening.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:34:50 AM by milo »