Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek Pink Salmon  (Read 46858 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »

lol.... If anyone retained a pink salmon on the Mamquam River downstream from the CN railway bridge and is being fined, I'd:

1) Pull up the Region 2 regulations and point out that it is indeed open for retention.

2) Take the ticket to court and point out how pathetic and ridiculous the current recreational salmon fishing regulations are presented online. It is unreadable, more often than not they contradicts each other (in this case, under Mamquam River no retention information for pink salmon is listed whereas it is permitted downstream from the CN bridge under Squamish River's section).

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »

thats wrong and confuses people in the actual fishery notice the lower mam is excluded and not open for retention, had a chat with the dfo officers about it and theyve been ticketing any and all mam retentions.

Yeah that's interesting it doesn't say anything about the CN rail bridge in the notice: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=223118&ID=all

They should update the website because it indeed sends the wrong message: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html. I'm guessing that's part of the reason you are seeing catch/kill on the lower Mam.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »

lol.... If anyone retained a pink salmon on the Mamquam River downstream from the CN railway bridge and is being fined, I'd:

2) Take the ticket to court and point out how pathetic and ridiculous the current recreational salmon fishing regulations are presented online. It is unreadable, more often than not they contradicts each other (in this case, under Mamquam River no retention information for pink salmon is listed whereas it is permitted downstream from the CN bridge under Squamish River's section).

Take a screenshot too in case the website changes.

I threw a few into the Mam below the bridge on the way out tonight because the fish were rolling, but no bites. Lots of folks hucking spoons but the fish didn't seem too interested or were tired of dodging metal all day.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »

1) Pull up the Region 2 regulations and point out that it is indeed open for retention.

Agreed.  A reasonable person would have looked up the "regulations" online and would have (rightfully) interpreted the retention of one pink per day on the Mamquam downstream of the CN rail bridge.  This is DFO's problem for not keeping the information in the notice vs. the regulation table consistent.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2019, 07:38:43 AM »

Up until 2001 or so pinks could be retained in the Mamquam below the Highway Bridge.

Yes, I recall that too.  However, I think the last year was 2003.  In 2005, there was no retention, followed by a closure of the river due to the chemical spill.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »

Squamish River (including Powerhouse Channel)

downstream of the fishing boundary signs at the power line crossing approximately 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River, and the Mamquam River downstream of the CN rail bridge.   

Coho          Apr 01 to Mar 31                       Bait ban.
               Apr 01 to Mar 31                        1 hatchery marked fish per day.
Chum   Nov 1 to Nov 30                         Bait ban.
                Apr 01 to Mar 31               1 per day.
Pink          July 15 until further notice       1 per day (bait ban).          FN0646

REF: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

The fine tickets are wrong

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2019, 01:34:20 PM »

On that same region 2 web page, you can apparently retain 2 pinks on the Harrison but 0 on the Vedder.  Do they mean 2 pinks in the Vedder as well or 0 on both rivers?   ::)
Why do I have to guess what the real regulations are?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:47:34 PM by fic »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »

thats wrong and confuses people in the actual fishery notice the lower mam is excluded and not open for retention, had a chat with the dfo officers about it and theyve been ticketing any and all mam retentions.

Did the officers realize the online synopsis explicitly permitted lower mamquam retention and still issued tickets anyways?

If so, that's such a low blow. The synopsis is the main public facing resource for the current regs. How can anyone be expected to examine the notices to look for discrepancies. Every enforcement officer I've ever met has been reasonable and I'm surprised they didn't just issue warnings in this situation which is clearly a DFO screw up...

If anyone got dinged by this, I hope they find some way to prove the online synopsis said what it currently states. If they ever get around to updating it, that could be lost to history.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »

Why are people certain tickets were issued for killing pinks? Maybe some of these people didn't have a salmon stamp on their Provincial License or maybe they lacked a license. It's been a long time since I witnessed such a sweep but the most common citation during such publicized bonanzas is for fishing without a valid license. Many people think they don't have to bother since it's just one afternoon out  with their brother in law etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:56:44 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »

This^^^

I saw 3 CO's by their truck at No Name rd. I asked them whats the deal with the Mamquam with regard to fishing below the bridge as I thought that was closed. They told me that it was open. They told me most of the tickets they were giving was for either no license or fishing with barbed hooks, a few were issued to people that kept more than 1 fish....

4TheKids

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »

Walked by a guy trying to explain to a CO why a salt water license was ok on the Mamquam bar. I didn't bother to stop and see how it turned out.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »

Took home a chrome male yesterday and found the meat to be much redder than previous years. Anybody else finding this?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »

Anecdotally it sounds like more Fraser river pinks are being caught up and down the coast this year compared to 2017 so maybe a bit of hope.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »

Took home a chrome male yesterday and found the meat to be much redder than previous years. Anybody else finding this?
Like this?  They are pretty fresh compared to Fraser/Vedder pinks usually.

anorden

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:09 AM »

Did you ice it as soon as you caught it? Pinks tend to change colour very quickly if the aren’t handled very precisely. I have even had fillets change colour from deep orange to grey / pink in less than an hour if left on ice but exposed to air/oxygen. Best bet is to ice then freeze as quick as possible to preserve the colour.