Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO's Next Target?  (Read 5633 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
DFO's Next Target?
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »

Forgive me for coming across so jaded with the department, but given happenings of late it is tough for some of us not to...

White Sturgeon (Upper Fraser River designatable unit): consultation on the potential listing under the Species at Risk Act

The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has performed an assessment of White Sturgeon (Upper Fraser River designatable unit [DU]) and found it to be endangered.

Before deciding whether the Upper Fraser River designatable unit of White Sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) will be added to the List of Wildlife Species at Risk as endangered, the Government of Canada would like to hear your opinion, comments, and suggestions regarding the possible ecological, cultural, and economic impacts of listing or not listing this species under SARA.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/consultations/whitesturgeon-esturgeonblanc-fraser/index-eng.html

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: DFO's Next Target?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »

This upper river population is upstream of Hope, is that correct?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »

above William's Lake Creek. There is currently no fishing for White Sturgeon in the Fraser watershed above that point.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:14:56 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »

above William's Lake Creek. There is currently no fishing for White Sturgeon in the Fraser watershed above that point.
I think that's the old definition, from when the Fraser population was divided in to "Nationally Significant Populations" (NSPs), Upper Fraser, Nechako, Middle Fraser, and Lower Fraser.  Now the first 3 groups have been collapsed into one "DU" called Upper Fraser.  Their survey included asking anglers in Lillooet if they would stop fishing if the river was closed there for sturgeon fishing, so it seems to include the group formerly called Middle Fraser.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »

The Upper Fraser River designatable unit of White Sturgeon includes the Middle Fraser, Upper Fraser and Nechako populations, outlined in red box. Source: DFO 2014. Recovery Strategy for White Sturgeon in Canada.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:59:42 PM by IronNoggin »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »

No, the Upper Fraser River DU for white sturgeon does not include the portion in Region 2.

Link or Proof Rod?

The map, and the designation is actually listed in the link you provided???

Wondering...
Nog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »

Link or Proof Rod?

The map, and the designation is actually listed in the link you provided???

Wondering...
Nog

That's right. Region 2 of the Fraser River is outside of the red box in the diagram you provided.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

Yep, Spuzzum seems to be the boundary for region 2.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »

Don't care because they will never be listed under SARA. If they were it would become

"If the Upper Fraser River designatable unit of White Sturgeon is listed as endangered, the prohibitions of SARA would immediately come into effect in Canadian waters. It would be illegal to kill, harm, harass, capture, possess, buy, sell, or trade individuals of the species. However, activities that may affect the species or its critical habitat may be permitted under SARA section 73-74, or exempt under section 83, where that activity does not jeopardize the survival or recovery of the species."

They won't be listed for the same reason that Interior fraser steelhead won't be listed. It would ban all fisheries including FSC net fisheries.

Robert_G

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

Once again.....why do some people think that the worst won't happen when it involves the DFO and us sporties. The worst WILL happen...not IF...but WHEN.
The endangered area is not only the same watershed as the Region 2 sturgeon fishery, but its also the same mainstream river.
The argument from them will be that the fish mingle in ALL areas and need total closure on catch and release....regardless of what science is presented. We've all seen this a 1000 times already, that science is not winning any arguments in regards to the salmon fishery....and it won't with sturgeon either....They want us OFF the river....period.

Closing the sturgeon guiding and sports fishery is the last, final nail in the coffin for sporties on the Fraser.
Anyone who doesn't think this is part of the complete agenda for the Fraser sports fishery has their head real deep in the sand.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:26:15 PM by Robert_G »

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »

They won't be listed for the same reason that Interior fraser steelhead won't be listed. It would ban all fisheries including FSC net fisheries.

I wish I believed this, but have you not been paying attention to the Chinook openings on the Fraser this spring?
It doesn't matter if they close the sturgeon fishery....the FN will still be out there gill netting...nothing will change that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »

Yep, Spuzzum seems to be the boundary for region 2.

from Rod's link:

The Upper Fraser River designatable unit of White Sturgeon extends from Hell’s Gate to McBride in the Fraser River and from the confluence with the Fraser River to Fraser and Trembleur lakes in the Nechako River.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/species-risk-public-registry/consultation-documents/white-sturgeon-2019.html
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »

I wish I believed this, but have you not been paying attention to the Chinook openings on the Fraser this spring?
It doesn't matter if they close the sturgeon fishery....the FN will still be out there gill netting...nothing will change that.

I talked personally to the lady carrying out the SARA process for steelhead, the act is a big blunt instrument that prohibits pretty much everything. In her opinion that is why fish stocks never get listed. The social and economic cost is to much.

Robert_G

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »

I talked personally to the lady carrying out the SARA process for steelhead, the act is a big blunt instrument that prohibits pretty much everything. In her opinion that is why fish stocks never get listed. The social and economic cost is to much.

Yeah....I guess the West Coast salmon fishery value at what?? 500 million plus isn't a high social and economic cost???....but guess what? Its pretty much closed....the sturgeon is just a matter of time.