Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Lodge Chef and "Wharf Rat"  (Read 48565 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Wanted: Lodge Chef and "Wharf Rat"
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »

When did it become legal to catch crabs and prawns on a sport fishing license and sell them to guests of a lodge in the form of meals?
The OP's just trying to post an honest job. Not sure why people here are giving him such a hard time.

If this lodge is like some others, they'll send guests out with the dock hand to pick up crabs/prawns for dinner. You can always call RAPP if you're genuinely concerned :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 11:52:22 PM »

When did it become legal to catch crabs and prawns on a sport fishing license and sell them to guests of a lodge in the form of meals?

It never did. That's why if you've watched the videos, you'll see that taking the guests out crabbing is one of the highlights at the lodge...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »

Some of you folks just look for something to piss on.

Wage is usually negotiable depending upon experience.

Catching your own crabs and/or prawns and taking it home or having the chef prepare it for you is a problem?

these are seasonal jobs.

It`s not like they`re luring doctors and lawyers away from their practice.

These are great jobs for students and those who like a little adventure.

There`s more to life than money and this is a lifestyle job that offers so much experience and future opportunity beyond fishing.

You don`t become a guide by reading a book or a chef by making KD

SPEYMAN

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

If you are getting paid to crab and prawn you should not be using a sport fishing license. If you are helping guests crab and prawn, that should be mentioned in the advertisement for an employee. The resort owner should be aware of laws regarding such activity. People in the industry must be above any chance of illegal activity.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »

The resort owner should be aware of laws regarding such activity.
There ought to be a law that says lodge owners must be aware of the laws  ::)

avid angler

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »

With all the challenges the sport fishing community faces are we really going to whine and cry about a guide cooking a limit of crab and prawns on a job advertisement post? This internal fighting over nothing is why we get walked on by dfo

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »

Wage is usually negotiable depending upon experience.

Not necessarily. I wouldn't hire anyone with a lot of experience to be honest. Experience and age comes with baggage. I prefer a young person with a drive to learn and grow.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »

Well...
Personally I'd be more preferential to have a chef who knows a little more than flipping burgers, boiling weiners and how to use a microwave.
Also a deck hand/wharf rat with a a bit of mechanical fortitude and fishing experience might be a better investment than spending 2 of 4 months training them.

They're not hiring grunts to clean up a construction site

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »

It saddens me that a simple job posting would cause such discontent.

Robert_G

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »

These are great jobs for students and those who like a little adventure.

You don`t become a guide by reading a book or a chef by making KD

If a young person has any brains....he or she won't consider becoming a salmon guide at all.
Any student or young person who's life ambition is to become a guide at a salmon fishing lodge at this time in history is an idiot. Smart young people today, research the industry they are interested in before they spend money and/or time on education or any other type of investment. Bad investment of time and/or money is bad.
If my teenage sons came to me and told me they wanted a career guiding at a salmon fishing lodge.....lets just say we'd be having a good long talk.

Robert_G

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »

Not necessarily. I wouldn't hire anyone with a lot of experience to be honest. Experience and age comes with baggage. I prefer a young person with a drive to learn and grow.

I'd love to know what your industry of employment is.
If I ever need a hiring manager.....I know for sure to not hire you.

Sure....its nice to have a handful of young guys that are teachable....but even then....so many young inexperienced guys these days aren't teachable anyways....and also, there is no substitute for having the majority of your team being long-term, paid fairly, experienced employees when it comes to succeeding in pretty much any industry today.