Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas is now pushing $1.50 per liter.  (Read 9141 times)

Fatso

Gas is now pushing $1.50 per liter.
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »

Gas is getting so expensive.
Thats a good thing right?

People will be more judicious in choosing to use their car as opposed to other non oil powered  modes of transportation.

What do you think?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Gas is now pushing $1.50 per liter.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »

They think electric vehicles are the next smartphone, computer, internet ect.. it took 20 years when thoes things first came out before everyone had one.

I'm almost certain my next vehicle will be an EV>

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »

If Tesla can successfully deliver a crossover SUV in the next couple of years then I am hopeful.  We are already looking to replace one of our cars with a plug-in electric for in-town driving, but I need to see at least 250 miles range before I consider dumping gas altogether. Of course, how will we pull the boat?  I could certainly go for an electric outboard on the boat - quieter and not so smelly.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »

If Tesla can successfully deliver a crossover SUV in the next couple of years then I am hopeful.  We are already looking to replace one of our cars with a plug-in electric for in-town driving, but I need to see at least 250 miles range before I consider dumping gas altogether. Of course, how will we pull the boat?  I could certainly go for an electric outboard on the boat - quieter and not so smelly.

were getting close

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/the-rivian-is-a-new-u-s-all-electric-pickup-with-sports-car-acceleration

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »

The Rivian! Thanks  :)

Edited to add:

It may not work so well in the cold weather.
The range may be dimished if going over mountaious terrain and/ or carrying a load.
How do you recharge if you are in the middle of nowhere?
How long does it take to recharge?

I dont think this is really a viable option for me.   :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:04:43 PM by Fatso »

santefe

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »

I don't like high gas prices, and I do not like paying a carbon tax.
But I assume that some of the gas and carbon tax although it goes into, I assume general revenue some of that goes into road maintenance.
I however do object to the province paying people who purchase e-vehicles a rebate.
Does that mean that those of us who are using those gas guzzling fossil fuel vehicles are helping maintain the roads while e-vehicle users get a free ride?
Just my 2 cents.

bobby b

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

Hovering at $0.99 here in Winnipeg

obie1fish

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »

My Ford ecoboost doesn't fare well mileage-wise when it encounters poor terrain, hills, or loads either. My concern about electric vehicles is that many places in the world burn fossil fuels to generate electricity, including many places in the States, as well as parts of BC and other provinces, making the ecological argument pretty much null.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/5064180/gas-prices-rise-vancouver-spring/

Petroleum analysts say gas prices are set to rise once again Sunday to nearly $1.52 a litre for regular fuel, matching prices last seen in November.

The increase is being blamed on the annual switch to the more expensive summer blend of gasoline, along with spring maintenance on two of the four major refineries south of the border that serve the Pacific Northwest.

this regularly happens in the spring about this time or year. It also happens in late fall as there is a switch to 'winter' formula gasoline. Likewise there will be a rise in the summer as demand for auto gas increases with the summer tourist and driving season.

IMO this all sounds like 'a load'.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »

$133.9 in Chilliwack the last few days.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »

Price increase during spring break. Who would have thought ?

island boy

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »

i buy my gas in the US. save around $50 a tank.
you kill it, you clean it.

Fatso

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:34:48 PM »

How can gas be $1.50 per litre here in Vancouver and 99 cents per litre in Winnipeg?!?!

We will be switching to electric cars here in Vancouver way before they will be in Winnipeg.

Maybe the federal government should make gas $2.50 per liter? 

Then they could use that money to do so many smart things.   :o

Just think of how much “greener” we would be!  ;)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:32 AM »

This never happened in the 80's and 90's when I was growing up and started to drive. It wasnt till  after 2000 the prices started to fluctuate 40 cents between seasons. The oil supply has increased between then and now. Just call it for what we all know it is. Its collusion between the oil industry and governments. Nobody stands to gain more than governments. Local, provincial and federal. All three levels of government gain the most from high oil prices. When taxes are more than 40% and there is ZERO investment on their end, it's a win win for them. That's the truth.

sockeyed

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

There's too much money to be made from gas tax revenue. As electric vehicles become mainstream, we will be forced to pay tax through mobile pricing.