Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas is now pushing $1.50 per liter.  (Read 9225 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Gas is now pushing $1.50 per liter.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »

Paid $174.9/ litre yesterday gassing up my boat with zero ethanol for my 115hp 2 stroke main motor.

That is a stinger.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »

There's too much money to be made from gas tax revenue. As electric vehicles become mainstream, we will be forced to pay tax through mobile pricing.

Absolutely

bobby b

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »

How can gas be $1.50 per litre here in Vancouver and 99 cents per litre in Winnipeg?!?!

Simple answer.
Pipelines heading east have greater capacity than those heading west. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

That, plus provincial and municipal taxes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »

Simple answer.
Pipelines heading east have greater capacity than those heading west.

the GVRD pays a substantial transit and other related local government taxes. Gas in the valley is typically 12 to 20 cents less than the GVRD. I also don't think Manitoba has a carbon tax.

Vancouver is very close to two major refineries in Washington and is tied into those markets. We pay based on US PNW markets, not Prairie markets.

Overall North American markets are very integrated and pay similar prices not counting taxes at the pump etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »

the GVRD pays a substantial transit and other related local government taxes. Gas in the valley is typically 12 to 20 cents less than the GVRD. I also don't think Manitoba has a carbon tax.

Vancouver is very close to two major refineries in Washington and is tied into those markets. We pay based on US PNW markets, not Prairie markets.

Overall North American markets are very integrated and pay similar prices not counting taxes at the pump etc.

Technically speaking the gas prices in the valley should be minus the translink tax but that's rarely the case.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:29:16 AM by Hike_and_fish »

Fatso

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 10:53:17 PM »

.... so except for taxes at the pump the prices are similar?

50 cents per litre goes to taxes at the pump. Wow!

If all we have to do is throw money at the problem, man made global warming should be history.  ;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:41 AM »

It hurts. Theres no doubt about that. The main thing I'm worried about is all the gas theft that occurred last time it was pushing $1.60 a liter. My buddy had his gas tank punched in and drained of fuel at the Stave Lake boat launch. All of this is the doing of the provincial government in my opinion. They have the power to lower the price but they've become so drunk with the tax revenue. Here we have the NDP who spearheaded the anti carbon tax protest during the Cambel days raising the carbon tax yet again. Just sayin

obie1fish

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 06:32:13 AM »

Ideally, we need to get rid of our depenency on other sources by building our own refineries. Next best is to twin the pipeline. There's no way that increased shippkng via rail or road is safer or cheaper than pipelines.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:22 AM »

the GVRD Transit tax is currently 17.5 cents a litre. My experience is the price differential from Abbotsford (which seems to have the lowest prices on average)  to the GVRD ranges from about 9 cents to 20. Local market forces seem to influence prices. Parts of the GVRD have a relative shortage of gas stations.

Total taxes including the carbon tax (about 7.78 cents) is 42 cents. Within the last 2 weeks gas in the GVRD could be had for less than $1.30/litre. BC also has insufficient refining capacity to meet it's own demands and we buy gas from refineries in Washington. When they reduce their production we pay more.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »

expect gas to go up another 20% if the predictions I heard today on the Canadian dollar happen. One of the banks is predicting a $.62 CDN dollar so $1.80-$1.90 is possible this coming summer if it happens.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 12:14:15 PM »

the GVRD Transit tax is currently 17.5 cents a litre. My experience is the price differential from Abbotsford (which seems to have the lowest prices on average)  to the GVRD ranges from about 9 cents to 20. Local market forces seem to influence prices. Parts of the GVRD have a relative shortage of gas stations.

Total taxes including the carbon tax (about 7.78 cents) is 42 cents. Within the last 2 weeks gas in the GVRD could be had for less than $1.30/litre. BC also has insufficient refining capacity to meet it's own demands and we buy gas from refineries in Washington. When they reduce their production we pay more.

Thanks for breaking it down for us simple minded people Ralph. You make it sound so simple. Never mind the fact that nothing has changed in terms of refining capacity for lowermainland gas in over 24 years. Gas prices were stable throughout the year before and after the closing of other two refineries that we had in Port Moody.This is what most people complain about. They are upset at the wild spikes of 20 cents a liter over night  the 40 cent jumps right around warmer weather. Supply and demand ? I think not. The markets are flooded with oil. There is so much oil in North America we dont know what to do with it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »

astute readers with an attention span that exceeds a fraction of a second may recall that above, I called the usual explanations of the Oil Companies "a load';

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42708.msg403876#msg403876

Of course others doubted that the Transit tax could explain the price differential between the Valley and the GVRD. It may not but it explains a chunk. Not unlike the closing of the oil refineries the major's have over the years greatly reduced the number of gas stations since supposedly there was 'too many' which obviously encouraged competition. Abbotsford also seems to have zoning laws that clusters stations (ie Whatcom road) which will also encourage some price competition...

Fatso

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 08:47:28 PM »

Gas in Burnaby today was $1.56 per litre.
Gas in Parksville is $1.32 per litre.

Thats 24 cents per litre difference and the gas has to be shipped to Van Isle, no?

I think its feeling cooler in Vancouver, so the high prices are obviously working.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »

Gas in Burnaby today was $1.56 per litre.
Gas in Parksville is $1.32 per litre.

Thats 24 cents per litre difference and the gas has to be shipped to Van Isle, no?

I think its feeling cooler in Vancouver, so the high prices are obviously working.

Transit tax