Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Stillwater fly fishing with Phil Rowley at Stoney Lake Lodge  (Read 2574 times)

obie1fish

With ice out still a ways away, such an enticing video is just cruel taunting! ;D Nice video, Rod!

psd1179

• Old Timer

Beautiful, but I am afraid none of the catching is above 3lb

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Beautiful, but I am afraid none of the catching is above 3lb

Well... The equation I use to calculate my fish is a little different to others'. It's called "It's always bigger than it looks" formula.

With ice out still a ways away, such an enticing video is just cruel taunting! ;D Nice video, Rod!

8)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

well if you can't enjoy catching fish in that size range then it's time to quit the sport!

I've fished Stoney and Minnie a few times over the last 12 years or so and it does seem the maximum fish size has declined. No 5 or 6 lbers for me the last couple of times. In Minnie the average was about 1.5 versus 2 to 3 the 1st time I went.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Now that I realized they were under 3lb, it was terribly boring. ;D

VAGAbond

• Old Timer

I fished there for three days last year.  Fish were about the same size although I did see several much larger fish in the talons of eagles and ospreys that were struggling to gain altitude.

The operator said they thought they had stocked too many and were going to cut back a bit to see if it resulted in larger fish.

Used the same blob fly I bought at the lodge.

DanL

• Old Timer

I suppose nobody wants fish that are too small, but I could catch 2lb'ers all day long and not get bored. Just got to have the appropriate gear and attitude.

Never get tired of BC interior stillwater vids. World class flyfishing only a few hours from the LML accessible to everyone for little or no cost. Wish I started taking advantage of it years ago.