Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Hummingbird Fishfinder works through the hull....  (Read 1713 times)

Fatso

My Hummingbird Fishfinder works through the hull....
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »

I have a portable fishfinder and I tried putting my tranducer in the boat sitting on the bottom of my aluminum tin boat instead of outside the hull and it worked.   Why didnt they tell me that in the first place???

It makes things a whole lot easier.  :)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: My Hummingbird Fishfinder works through the hull....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »

Definitely convenient though you will potentially lose some sensitivity but may not be a big deal depending on your needs. It seems those that go this route will use something like silicone to seal any air gaps for the best transmission of signal.

Of course you lose the temperature data, which may or may not be important to you.

I've gone the magnetic transducer mount route, which so far seems to be the best compromise of convenience vs functionality.

Fatso

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »

I just use it for depth information and it works well.

It always lies about fish! Lol

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »

Do yourself a favor just toss that Humminbird in the trash. Garmin and Lowrance are the only two worth looking at. Since Humminbird pays a licensing fee to Navico for the high rez imaging, you're always going either 1,) pay more or 2.) Never have the latest in high rez imaging. Lowrance and Garmin have partnered in a licensing deal to allow Lowrance to certain Panoptix patents and Garmin to have Navicos high rez imaging. This truly leaves Humminbird in the dust for the foreseeable future. As a Garmin Livescope owner I can tell you forward live facing sonar is the future. When you can scan the water in real time without even moving the boat and have the ability to see a clear image of fish big and small, it ups your catch count and saves you all that time looking for fish.

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »

Thanks, but do they have portable?

I will check, thanks. 😀

Edited to add:

The bullhead better be scared....very scared! 🤣
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:23:06 PM by Fatso »