Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156414 times)

colin6101

Water looked great today when I stopped by the canal at 2:00. I was coming home from fishing elsewhere but picked up a few jack coho in the half hour or so I spent there. Looked to be about 3-4 feet of visibility and a great water level.

fishfinder

Water level and visibility was perfect today.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I imagine it's somewhere between the Keith Wilson Bridge and the Limit hole.

You think too highly of me, maybe it's above the limit hole! ;D

Great conditions today, didn't fish very long and only found thick schools of chum salmon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Pretty good conditions this morning - still a bit higher than I like but good clarity.  No coho to be seen, but I had one float down on roe.  Get out there before it blows out again!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Yep, conditions were very nice this morning. River level is slightly on the high side but there are many fishable spots. Two hatchery coho in the first hour, went home after that.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I found the river in good shape too but only tangled with 3 chum and retained a fresh run doe which we will have for supper tonight. Others were finding them too and one coho,  a wild landed.

I stopped fishing after an hour of fishing as really donot need any more fish but good to get out. The bad part I lost a Maple Leaf Drennan float.
Another bad part. I took a drive up river, checking out a abandoned homeless camp and also stopped at the dipping runs and of course they were getting a good number of coho and of course chum. I did not bother to film them this time as some posters get upset when i do,but what a blight on our rec fishery, so sad a person has to take a fish that way, a couple of them had bare hooks too. :-X ??? :'(

Cleaned up some garbage and scored a few tins but did not find my expensive but previously found Drennan. :'(

Steady rain and Sweltzer Creek was coloring up, not sure if the main river will hold.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I found the river in good shape too but only tangled with 3 chum and retained a fresh run doe which we will have for supper tonight. Others were finding them too and one coho,  a wild landed.

Season's over! ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Season's over! ;D ;D ;D
Yes you are right, I forgot to get that out there too. :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River up nearly a foot overnight, maybe muddy but will check it out for you.

Heavy rain now too, that will not help matters, head to Tamihi rapids. :'( :-X :-[ ::) ??? :o :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:53:39 AM by chris gadsden »

clarki

• Old Timer

I got up at  0 dark 30 and with the river graph showing a slow rise and with light rain, I thought a morning on the river might be doable.

After stopping for a breakfast sandwich and coffee the rain had increased, the river graph showing a near vertical increase and reading about the rainfall warning, I decided to save my 1/2 vacation day for a different time.

Tell me what I missed!

wav789

River is not fishable this morning...but as Chris says it is probably still flossable.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River is not fishable this morning...but as Chris says it is probably still flossable.
LOL, Visibility was around 1 foot 2 hours ago, I would guess less now with the rain, time to go after web feet.

Anyone give a report how the flossing went so we know how the runs are doing or is it over like Rod said yesterday.? :-X

Talked to FOC staff  this am and in the hatchery they have around 16,000 Coho Salmon and a good run of Chinook salmon too which is good news.

Also I was glad to hear the Chum salmon run is now looking good too so I feel better now Dave and others that knocked me for taking a chum yesterday, was nice eating too .
Go wild and not those so called fish from net pens. ;D :-X ;D

milo

• Old Timer

Also I was glad to hear the Chum salmon run is now looking good too so I feel better now Dave and others that knocked me for taking a chum yesterday

Good for you Chris.

With the Squamish closed for chum retention (excellent decision although it was my favourite chum fishery, bar none), I'm counting on the Vedder to yield a couple of nice chum for my smoker this year. Watch out for my purple&fuchsia jigs this weekend chumlies!

dobrolub

at 3 meters now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:14:47 AM by dobrolub »

fic

• Old Timer

Are the eggs in danger of being swept away at 3.2 Meters?  Wasn't it in 2006 the flood washed away a lot of eggs and they had to close the chum retention when that generation came back to spawn?