Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156416 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Popped out again this evening for a quickie. No love for me despite of standing in front of a few hundred coho salmon, but Nina was able to connect with several fish with a spoon and kept a nice hatchery coho. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Saw a number of coho on the beach when I arrived around 6 tonight. Was told the bite had just ended. ::) Had several bites but were pike minnows coming in on the rising tide, I did land a beauty, 6 inches long. :D

psd1179

• Old Timer

Popped out again this evening for a quickie. No love for me despite of standing in front of a few hundred coho salmon, but Nina was able to connect with several fish with a spoon and kept a nice hatchery coho. ;D

Hundred coho? Were you fishing in the hatchery channel?

avid angler

Following Firstlight's comments. Chum fisheries declined in most rivers up and down the coast. It started up north a year or 2 before it hit the Fraser Valley. While there was some increase in numbers in the last 5 years based on my observations there are certainly no where near what they where 10 to 15 years ago. The Chilliwack, Stave didn't suffer to the extent of some other rivers. The Harrison really seemed to be heavily hit. It once had a huge return of chum around Remembrance Day and that has close to disappeared. All these rivers have considerable enhancement. I  pretty strongly thinkthere is not one single cause of this that can be removed to fix the issuesand you have to consider it in context of the decline of many runs across 6 species of salmon (including steelhead). The roe fishery is nothing new and has been around for many years. If it is a major cause perhaps we need to end the use of roe as bait? One problem with all our salmon is it makes little to no sense to maintain high levels of exploitation by all user groups when it seems clear that whatever is happening in their freshwater and marine environments, these fish are facing serious trouble.

You are so dumb. The Harrison chum and chinook are collapsing because their the biggest victim of the beach seine fishery. Not from people using roe as bait. The roe harvested in that fishery are going overseas.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hundred coho? Were you fishing in the hatchery channel?

Not where you're fishing obviously.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

You are so dumb. The Harrison chum and chinook are collapsing because their the biggest victim of the beach seine fishery. Not from people using roe as bait. The roe harvested in that fishery are going overseas.

LOL! Can't explain why they are collapsing everywhere else on the coast can you, but you gotta blame the FNs for everything! Thank god you are not a racist!. Just a few months ago you and everybody else was blaming the seals. Yeah I know where the roe goes to (me not so stupid as you think I is) but just more hypocrisy... stop the roe sales but let us fish with roe. What a hoot. So many sport anglers think the sun above shines out from their port below.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:23:46 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

Their are obviously many factors at play. However there’s commercial scale chum netting up and down the entire coast. If you really think that ending roe use as bait will save the chum then yes you are just as stupid as I think you are. Yes I still believe the harbour seal and sea lion population explosion is a large factor harming salmon stocks. Yes I still think the Fraser River FN genocide of nets is a large factor in declining Fraser stocks. Yes I still think you have the same opinion as every idiot who doesn’t spend any time on the Fraser. Yes I still think your a moron.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I really think the  'Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates' thread deserves a higher level of conservation than some have been giving it. I am both ignoring and will no longer respond to people who can't do better than engage in direct ad hominem attacks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

Yes I still think your a intelligent and respectable human being.

You need to read more of his posts.

Discrimination isn't always a bad thing and sometimes it's downright justified.

Anyone who spews trash like this and believes it is not a respectable or intelligent person.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Water is still dropping, fish are still coming in, I think there are more fish than water now.

Another quick evening outing today, yielded one beautiful hatchery fish around 7~8lb, first one of the season for Dad after 5 or 6 outings.

avid angler

You need to read more of his posts.

Anyone who spews trash like this and believes it is not a respectable or intelligent person.

I didn’t write that. Either moderators edited my post or you can’t say you think someone is a
m o r o n which is what I wrote

Drewhill

Water is still dropping, fish are still coming in, I think there are more fish than water now.

Another quick evening outing today, yielded one beautiful hatchery fish around 7~8lb, first one of the season for Dad after 5 or 6 outings.

Definitely some bigger fish compared to previous years. Nice to see.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:42:08 AM by Drewhill »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Another morning, another gorgeous looking hatchery coho salmon at the end of the line. The bite was short lived at first light. That float was buried a total of four times. First one resulted in a fish that flipped off the hook as it made halfway into the net, meanwhile the entire rig went flying up into the tree. The following cast was a complete miss. Once the hook was rebaited, sent out, the float was once again buried at the same spot, which turned out to be this hatchery doe around 6lb. A few casts later, another miss wrapped up a rather fast morning session. This is pretty typical while the river remains low and clear, but that will soon change, as rain is in the forecast next week. The Chilliwack/Vedder River is seeing a very good return of coho salmon this year. All indications suggest it is a much larger run with much bigger fish too. The reduction of gill net fisheries downstream from the Lower Fraser River may just be a contributing factor this year.

psd1179

• Old Timer

The Chilliwack/Vedder River is seeing a very good return of coho salmon this year. All indications suggest it is a much larger run with much bigger fish too. The reduction of gill net fisheries downstream from the Lower Fraser River may just be a contributing factor this year.

Undoubtedly the less net the more fish to the spawning ground. How could someone deny the damage caused by netting anywhere.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

I didn’t write that. Either moderators edited my post or you can’t say you think someone is blah blah blah
That's too bad that you didn't write that. That last line made me think more highly of you because it showed you could disagree with somebody but still appreciate their humanity. Oh well  ::)