Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156462 times)

cdjk123

I was out on Saturday and Friday, and honestly, it was wayyyyyyy quieter than I would have expected. It was really nice to have some spots to myself. I usually avoid the vedder on Thanksgiving weekend, but it was great this year. For me anyways...

Dubs604

Don't give up, I was out this AM and fished some new water, good water too, on the flood tde and nothing. Saw fish being landed next run up, maybe flossing too. Saw 4 jump in the run I was fishing but were not holding I guess and did not have a pull down. Rodney is guiding me tonight so success is a sure thing. ;D

Nothing wrong with changing your gear but a lot of seasoned anglers stick with roe at this time of years but Jigs are deadly on chum salmon if you want to tussle with them and they are not bad table fair when they are a fresh run fish. I saw a chap get two on a jig yesterday. Good luck and glad you recognize flossing when you see it.
Will check out the flossing run tomorrow. :-\ :o

Thanks Chris!  I appreciate the words of encouragement.  Hope you and Rod have a blast tonight and fill your coolers!

dave c

Fished above crossing near indian reserve. Didnt see any coho landed but managed to bring 3 chum to hand and send on their way. On my way back to my vehicle saw a guy with 3 coho on a stringer. He was fishing with several others of the same ethnicity in extremely fast water about 3 ft deep. From float to weight was about 4ft with an 8ft leader. They would plunk in front of themselves and kept entire rig in water for no more than 5 seconds. I was appalled. Upon closer examination one of his fish one of them had the adipose cut off. When i called him out on it he said SPEAK NO ENGLISH. He quickly packed up and left. Would have reported him if he had hung around.  Pretty depressing.

BBarley

When i called him out on it he said SPEAK NO ENGLISH.

Isn't that the phrase everyone uses on the C/V when they get called out on just about anything? ;D ;D ;D I know I've used it a few times getting called out for snagging while twitching jigs and I'm whiter than snow. :P

All seriousness, sounds like a modified form of the Kenai/Russian river flip, I've tried it for sockeye on the lower Babine and it works quite well if the fish are pushing past you in numbers and are close to shore. Saw a guy on the weekend hooking coho on a similar setup in the upper river and was being videotaped doing it, should make for some good Youtubing, how to flip for hatchery coho.

Still amazes me that people get so torqued on this system about snagging and the ensuing witch hunt that happens every fall. Remove the hatchery, see how many salmon survive to be flossed without that conveyor belt of returning spawners every fall.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

What bothers me is new anglers watch these pocket flossers and assume that's how fish are caught. Than the problem just gets larger. I was camping at the Rapids and it was really depressing to watch. The amount of fish they dont land is staggering.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Someone jinxed our trip yesterday before we even went by expecting to fill the cooler... ;D

Time to take a brief break before the fishing picks up again.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Someone jinxed our trip yesterday before we even went by expecting to fill the cooler... ;D

Time to take a brief break before the fishing picks up again.
Yep, nothing jinxes a trip like putting ice in the cooler.

coyote spooner

I headed  out very early yesterday morning,  with the hope of catching a first light coho.   I arrived at my  spot, All be it sometimes a busy one, at 5:30.  I walked down to the spot and was hanging out waiting for first light.   Another guy shows up with a giant bright headlamp sets up his gear and starts casting just after 6 AM .   His first cast he snags the bottom in the fast water .   He proceeded to play the snag for 45 minutes until first light .  In my 25 years on the Vedder ,one of the stupidest and funniest things I’ve seen yet.  Luckily he was in the tail out and I was at the head of the pool so I started fishing and doing my thing and then four guys  showed up, Set up their gear and waited for him to clear the pool.  Finally they ran out of patience and told him it was a snag..😄

I stayed for another 15 minutes, until he re rigged and came up beside me.  8-10’ leader under a bouncing Betty below a  sliding float.  Told him what I thought of him...packed up and hiked....

Only one takedown at first light....pretty slow...not many fish on the move....saw one riser in 5 runs...river color and level was perfect

96XJ

Man that sounds hilarious, in all fairness some snags fight better than others  ::)

Good story

Aki

This morning at first light the lower river was more productive for coho than on some of my other outings...lost three and two on the beach (one was a clipped jack, released gently) also a few springs and chums hooked (by others)...died down before 9am and I left...tide was good today and looks pretty good for tomorrow...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

The better fishing was probably due to the bump in the river level. But with no rain, where did the water come from?

Aki

Snow melt?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

Yep, nothing jinxes a trip like putting ice in the cooler.

Sums it up nicely.

psd1179

• Old Timer

There is no rain in the next 14-day forecast. Are you kidding

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

two for me in the canal today. Fish seemed to come up on the high tide. Nice fish 6.5lb doe and a 5.75 buck. Both hatchery. Both weighed. Only other fish I have seen in 2 trips were less than 4lbs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.