Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156453 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions are pretty much the same as yesterday as expected, maybe a bit lower. Fish are not moving as much, but still plenty around. A quick morning session yielded three wild coho, a couple of chinook jacks, one chum salmon and lost another coho before returning home for breakfast.
Hope you left me a few as was away on the Wild Salmon Caravan for a week and then hunting for a week. I donot need many more fish as caught a good numbe,r you know where.lol Run was very strong again this year and adults too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Plenty of fish for you this year. ;D

Water continues to drop and clear. Fish are still moving fast IMO. One day here, next day gone. We snuck out for a couple of hours tonight while everyone else was having Thxgiving dinner, two hatchery coho around 4lb each.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

4 lbs. each Rodney ? Think I'll get you a scale for Christmas this year ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Hey inflated four pounders are better than zero pounders. :-*

pbish

Rod I think you need to up tour fishing fashion game. Your wife is crushing you with the scarf.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Plenty of fish for you this year. ;D

Water continues to drop and clear. Fish are still moving fast IMO. One day here, next day gone. We snuck out for a couple of hours tonight while everyone else was having Thxgiving dinner, two hatchery coho around 4lb each.

The last 2 grouse I bagged last week were bigger. Went out to wet a line for the first time this AM but too many anglers, not what I was used to this year. Instead I did a small river cleanup which on the bars whas not too bad, all I caught besides the garbage was one Maple Leaf DNE and a few beer tins all empty except sand filled. ;D

Saw a few chum salmon caught and one CO. One chap landed two chum and dragged them up onto the sand before guiding them back into the water with his feet, when will they learn!!! Ended up talking to Marvin for 45 minutes trying to solve all the wrongs of the world. May go out tonight and write the Journal but so many pictures and videos to deal with from The Wild Salmon Caravan.

b8floater

Filmed a short river conditions report video for those wondering what a holiday Monday brings to this urban fishery.
https://youtu.be/kd3p3AwJes0

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Filmed a short river conditions report video for those wondering what a holiday Monday brings to this urban fishery.
https://youtu.be/kd3p3AwJes0
Wow, that was today?  Seemed like far fewer people than Saturday and Sunday.  I'm surprised.  The last couple Thanksgiving Monday's I have bothered to fish I regretted as soon as I got to the river because there wasn't a rock to stand on.  Maybe the weather is keeping the crowds away?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I agree. Seems fairly light for a Sunday. Might have to do with Thanksgiving.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Where were the fish, lol?

NothingToSnagAbout

Saw a few chum salmon caught and one CO. One chap landed two chum and dragged them up onto the sand before guiding them back into the water with his feet, when will they learn!!!
Chum is the red-headed step child of the fishing world. So sad :'(

ByteMe

Chum is the red-headed step child of the fishing world. So sad :'(

lmao............or the middle child
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

BBarley

Not to derail the thread too much but does anyone else using scents seem to have the wasps come out of the woodworks? I got a little bit on my handwarmer pouch on my waders and now I basically have to find a log to put a dab on otherwise they stick to me like glue...... Haven’t been bit....... yet :o  I can’t be the only one out there so just wondering how others deal with it?

Dubs604

Fished the canal (my first time) on Monday morning from 6:30am to 10am (downstream from the KWB).  Was the only person chucking spoons and spinners, and trying to twitch jigs in slower/still waters.  Tried everything in my bag of tricks, but didn't get a single bite.  Watched some folks drifting roe shoulder-to-shoulder get into some fish, and helped a young guy net a really nice spring.

It was my first time there, so naturally I was attracted to the calls of "fish on" from just below the bridge.  I watched a few guys pull up some nice chums, but quickly realized that they were flossing.  I tossed spoons and spinners all around them, as obviously there were fish stacking in that area, but no luck. 

Might go back next weekend and try an area further upriver.  Should I keep deploying spoons and spinners, or switch to drifting roe, jigs and blades?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fished the canal (my first time) on Monday morning from 6:30am to 10am (downstream from the KWB).  Was the only person chucking spoons and spinners, and trying to twitch jigs in slower/still waters.  Tried everything in my bag of tricks, but didn't get a single bite.  Watched some folks drifting roe shoulder-to-shoulder get into some fish, and helped a young guy net a really nice spring.

It was my first time there, so naturally I was attracted to the calls of "fish on" from just below the bridge.  I watched a few guys pull up some nice chums, but quickly realized that they were flossing.  I tossed spoons and spinners all around them, as obviously there were fish stacking in that area, but no luck. 

Might go back next weekend and try an area further upriver.  Should I keep deploying spoons and spinners, or switch to drifting roe, jigs and blades?
Don't give up, I was out this AM and fished some new water, good water too, on the flood tde and nothing. Saw fish being landed next run up, maybe flossing too. Saw 4 jump in the run I was fishing but were not holding I guess and did not have a pull down. Rodney is guiding me tonight so success is a sure thing. ;D

Nothing wrong with changing your gear but a lot of seasoned anglers stick with roe at this time of years but Jigs are deadly on chum salmon if you want to tussle with them and they are not bad table fair when they are a fresh run fish. I saw a chap get two on a jig yesterday. Good luck and glad you recognize flossing when you see it.
Will check out the flossing run tomorrow. :-\ :o