Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156433 times)

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Is it just me or does anyone else think those coho should be shipped down to canal and reintroduced?  Dfo sure doesn’t seem to get it like our southern friends In wash and Oregon

sumasriver

Well, if you win the Vancouver Marathon..... are you rewarded with being driven back to the starting line to run it again.....

Tangles

Slow morning for me too. Got a jack spring and a big one broke me off when it eventually bolted downstream. No coho love for me but the old fella next to me schooled us all with 3 big ones and a spring by 8am.

Dave

• Old Timer

No coho love for me but the old fella next to me schooled us all with 3 big ones and a spring by 8am.
Must have been buck, he's an old guy ;D

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Hatchery fish are meant for consumption and I think anglers and the river need them more than some industry,  sure a good “reward “for the marathon to be put into totes if you use your logic Sumas??  No?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

no budget $ for the gasoline.

They have done that with steelhead in the past haven't they?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer

They have done that with steelhead in the past haven't they?
Yeah, happened for a short while.   I agree Ralph, the cost would be prohibitive to truck hatchery coho back downstream.  If anglers want less hatchery fish at the hatchery, they should not be hoping for rain. Any jump in water height gets these hatchery clones on the move immediately.

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Dave Ralph gas  money ?? No way that can be the reason ?seriously? I think that could’ve easily covered by numerous clubs etc. Bright chrome fish should go back in system for consumption or nutrification

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Someone has to drive the truck though if they are on staff and there is additional salary it's what we bean counters call an irrelevant cost. Glad you suggested NPO funding Cam as I didn't want to.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer

Considering the majority of these moved coho would be dead (or zombies) in 2 weeks, it's hardly worth it.   Vedder coho have always been unpredictable biters ... some days they are impossible, other days, suicidal.

BBarley

Judging by the rave reviews of this years inbred coho taste, and the plight of just about every other fish in the Fraser, maybe more ecomical to buy yourself a few tins of salmon wet dog food than splurging for the MSC endorsed canned sockeye/pink in the supermarket.......

adriaticum

• Old Timer

Hatchery fish are meant for consumption and I think anglers and the river need them more than some industry,  sure a good “reward “for the marathon to be put into totes if you use your logic Sumas??  No?

No, hatchery fish that are meant for consumption are sold in grocery stores.
Hatchery fish in the river are there to provide a fishery so that people wouldn't kill wild fish and prevent destruction of the species.

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Dave I’d disagree with u on the 2 week time frame and I think it would be much better to see the fish in the river providing increased opportunity vs in a tote on their way to some plant for use somewhere else ! Even if they all died in the water throughout the river the nutrients in the ecosystem are much better value to the ecology for a bit of “gas money”

Dave

• Old Timer

I agree on the nutrients ...hey, try doing some lobbying or better yet, get social media on it.  We have wasted money on other things, why not this.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

And put a hole punch in the dorsal fin of these recycled fish so they aren't counted twice by the hatchery and so the anglers know this fish has been around.