Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156426 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I've caught 6 chum already ... 1st one was 2 weeks ago

Am I wrong in thinking that the timing of all the runs, Springs, Coho and Chum...seems a bit off this year?

Coho seem early
Springs were on for a bit then off
Chum seem really early .... although not huge numbers..
Seems right on time to me.  I normally get my first spring by the second weekend of September, and this year it was the 16th, so right on time there.  I remember 20 years ago there being plenty of coho in the river early September, so that seems right on time as well.  September 12, 2001, I was camping in Allison Pool with my wife (right after 9/11, so I remember vividly) and the river was full of coho.  I hope this is the beginning of another great season.

bobby b

Yes I hope so too
Cool.. thanks

cammer

• I'm a llama!

geez  I must have missed all the murders- stabbings- assaults and "rapes" happening on the vedder and elsewhere, im sorry to all the people who are scared fishing and don't want to stand up for the fish and fishermans ethics,  ill take one of those phantom knifers on I guess in my lonely stance against bad ethics, god be with me

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Reminder to everyone - beware the bears.  I saw one sniffing around the cars parked at Allison Pool along the road on my way home yesterday evening, and I noticed a chewed on wild coho carcass on the north side of the upper river on Sunday.  Watch your back, watch your fish, and make noise when you're hiking.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

BTW - curious to hear other's experiences, but we just at the first of my coho from the vedder tonight for dinner, and the consensus was it tasted better than the Fraser sockeye we have been eating.  Relatively firm texture (for a coho), great flavor, good fat content, even the crispy skin was delicious.  What are others finding?  The past few years I have found the quality to be really hit or miss.

bobby b

We had one for dinner last night. I think it is right up there with Sockeye... but I still enjoyed the Sockeye just a tad more. .

Had a Capilano COHO  ;) a few days ago too.... DELICIOUS!!  I noticed the meat was extremely red, much redder in colour than both the Fraser Sockeye and Vedder Coho...

Ive heard told...that their diet is different than others and that contributes to the extra red colour.... is that true or....myth?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:03:22 PM by bobby b »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Capilano sockeye ??

John Revolver

BTW - curious to hear other's experiences, but we just at the first of my coho from the vedder tonight for dinner, and the consensus was it tasted better than the Fraser sockeye we have been eating.  Relatively firm texture (for a coho), great flavor, good fat content, even the crispy skin was delicious.  What are others finding?  The past few years I have found the quality to be really hit or miss.

yes totally agree with this!

The vedder coho are absolutley un-fking-beleivable this year! :)    After filleting/processing the hatch I took down last week ,I froze the fillets then thawed in the fridge. I cut up some portions and they were the best tasting I've ever had. The flesh was the reddest I've ever seen.  The quality was so good I sliced up pieces for sashimi and it was spectacular. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The coho got super fat on crab larvae in the straight of Georgia this year. All ones I caught were nice and fat.

bobby b

Capilano sockeye ??

OOPS....  ;D.  (fixed it )

Capilano Coho.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:03:49 PM by bobby b »

cammer

• I'm a llama!

A friend said today that coho from yesterday was unbelievable and this guy eats more salmon than the the southern killer whales,  so may be something to this

wav789

I agree - they taste even better than normal this year. Very firm, very red.

Aki

Yesterday we ate part of a coho caught earlier this week...delicious...very slow in the lower Vedder this morning...water is low and gin clear...

BBarley

They were throwing chrome bars into the ice filled totes up at the hatchery this morning. Tried asking if they would throw a couple freshies into a cooler for me but no dice. To the Purina plant for them I guess....... lucky dogs >:(

243Pete

Been catching a lot and I mean a LOT of does(All me and a few friends got this week have been hens with the exception of one buck) when targetting coho this year, some of them well over 4-5 pounds, meat is super nice this year as it's pretty fatty and lots of flavour over two years ago with all the smaller fish.

Quiet today, seen some fish rolling around but after the fog let off the bite turned off as well, we need a good rain and some color to the river as this gin clear water is making for tough conditions.