Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 32653 times)

Jk47

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »

Thanks Shinny, Freestone’s were the waders I was considering, I’ll probably just go with ‘em. Didn’t mean to derail your thread SS. (Although I guess it’s pretty related) thanks guys

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

That is some tough luck. I feel bad for you. I'm lucky my G4Z waders and G4 jacket are still in tip top shape. Maybe next time don't wash your jacket ? I'm not too sure if you're machine washing it or just wiping with a rag. Machines will destroy those jackets.

Sorry man I need to 100% disagree here. Maybe don't wash a fishing jacket? That's ridiculous. Okay, I don't care if it's kept as clean as a jacket I wear out to dinner, it is a fishing jacket, and my fishing jacket is used only for fishing. But, if I get slapped up by a slimey halibut, forget some prawns in a baggie in a pocket and now the jacket reeks like prawn arse, or whatever, and now the jacket is gross and/or stinky, it is going in the WASH! Further more, I own several other gortex jackets (not fishing brand, a couple of MEC, an Arcteryx, and others) and they have all been washed over a dozen times with Nikawx techwash and they are all in excellent condition.

My G3 seems to stand up find to being washed/dried as it should. And it does revive the water repellant finish. The issue is with the pocket Velcro that has shredded apart, and the damn magnets that hold your tools in place fall off. It's also interesting that the Velcro on the cuffs is 100% fine. Seems they used the good stuff on the cuffs and garbage on the pockets. If this was a $50 jacket from Winners I would just accept it, but this is a $600 jacket and is unacceptable.

Hmmm. Well then while we’re on the topic I’m going tomorrow to pick up my new waders tomorrow and I can’t afford 700 bucks so I figured Simms Freestones would be a far superior wader than I’ve ever owned and comes in around budget. But I’ve heard Patagonia has better warranty. Plus I feel like they’re the under dog, and I like their “look” and the fact they’re not “Simms” like everyone else on the planet has. I WILL be trying a couple other pairs on in the morning before I decide, but any thoughts?

A few buddies have the Freestones. No issues, they love them. And I have the G3 waders, no issues, love them. I would recommend the Freestones, however if you have an issues with them you will have to deal with Simms warranty. After how this experience has gone so far, I would definitely consider other brands if the price point is right.

Been so long I can’t remember what year I bought my original guide jacket! Dam near bullet proof! I know it was a 3rd of the price what the new jackets are now. My jacket was made in the USA and not overseas. Me thinking that is the reason it has lasted so long! As a matter of fact, I know that’s the reason!

Happy Holidays Everyone, come to think of it Merry Christmas sounds better!!!!! And a Happy New Year!

8)

I think you are right. My G3 was made in China. Could be correlated with reduced quality compared to older models made in the USA.

Shinny

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »

Gore Tex jackets have to be washed in order to maintain the waterproofing. Even if the jacket isn’t too dirty on the outside your body is sweating while wearing it. Some people sweat very little , others like myself sweat quite a bit. The sweat is also carrying some body oil with it as it evaporates and can dirty a jacket from the inside also.

I got talking to a guy at Arcteryx about gore Tex and his simple and explanation was to think of the gore Tex fibres as your fingers. Clean goretex fibres are your fingers bending over together at the last nuckle and interlocking with your other hand the same way. As the goretex becomes dirty the fibres straighten out and moisture and debris can get in. Washing your jacket the proper way with a goretex specific cleaner like Grangers keeps the fibres clean.

If the jacket is bleeding when it’s getting wet then its time to be washed. It should bead up. Once you wash it then dry it on a medium/medium high heat in the dryer for a while brings back the water repellancy. Even if you put a dirty jacket in the dryer on medium or medium high heat will bring back some of the goretex.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Exactly. The motto with gortex seems to be "wash it lots, dry it hot."

I've decided to repair the jacket myself. Going to very, very carefully aquaseal both magnet patches back on the jacket. Whatever iron on adhesive is on there from the factory is garbage. I have faith that the aquaseal will hold. I contemplated stitching the patches on then aquasealing the holes from the inside to waterproof the job. I'm going to roll the dice that the job will hold just aquasealing under each patch.

At a later date will seam rip off the shredded Velcro off and stitch new stuff on by hand. Time consuming but easy.

In the unlikely event Simms steps up and offers me a new jacket I'll gladly take it. The likelihood of this happening is about the same as me attaining the same body mass index I had at the age of 18 (currently 39). With this in mind I'll just do what I wish I had done in the first place - fix the damn thing myself.

Jk47

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »

Got my freestones. Stoked. Side note: I use an old (few years, I don’t know...) Oakley snowboard jacket. I love how the hood fits with the rain brim..the pockets...the Velcro cuffs are great, it has a gaiter which I actually use some days when it’s really cold and I’ve got lots of layers bundled up and I wear my coat last over my waders then sintch up the gaiter to keep the cold and snow out.
 Here’s my trick: Wax. I grab the biggest old candle I can find, and I spend about an hour (after a good wash and dry) ABSOLUTELY SMOTHERING every inch of the shell of the coat, rubbing the wax into the fabric and every stitch and seam. At this point the coat looks a mighty mess, but then I grab a hair dryer and blow the heat at the jacket, melting it into the seams and everywhere. Now for the final touch I throw it in the dryer on hot for a few minutes, and BAM! Looks brand new and repels a monsoon. Lasts a month or so and I do it again.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »

Glad you like the Freestones. I think you will be quite happy with them ;D If you have to deal with Simms warranty, my advice would be if you think you can fix it yourself - fix it yourself. The cost of mailing, plus being without your waders for a month or so, and a potential less than favorable repair from Simms, needs to be strongly considered.

The wax idea is interesting. My concern is that it would negatively affect the breathability. Personally I would not wax any of my waterproof/breathable clothing. Save that stuff for my skis and bikini line ;)

Carich980

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »

I get about 9 months out of my Simms waders G3, G4, G4Z, gone through 3 sets so far. My last Simms wading jacket is about the same as you mentioned with the addition of having the arm sleeves come apart at the seams. My new wading jacket seems to be holding together so far but still less than a year on it. I tried getting Simms to warranty the waders and got nothing. I've heard others say they got full replacement on 10 year old stuff. I just accept that waders are going to leak and Simms has the best product out there so far. Are they worth the money? I wish there was some other company out there on par with them but unfortunately there's not yet imo.

Jk47

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »

The wax idea is interesting. My concern is that it would negatively affect the breathability. Personally I would not wax any of my waterproof/breathable clothing. Save that stuff for my skis and bikini line ;)
Water beads off like a dream and I breath through my nose usually, anyways so no issues there. I know a few fishermen that breath through their mouths lol. 15 dollar jacket at Sally Ann. Works great for me.... too much information re: bikini line!!! ;D ;D ;D

Shinny

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »

Water beads off like a dream and I breath through my nose usually, anyways so no issues there. I know a few fishermen that breath through their mouths lol. 15 dollar jacket at Sally Ann. Works great for me.... too much information re: bikini line!!! ;D ;D ;D

Pretty sure I've seen you out there fishing.. The jacket didn't look too breathable

Jk47

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »

LMAO!!!!!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »

Sorry man I need to 100% disagree here. Maybe don't wash a fishing jacket? That's ridiculous. Okay, I don't care if it's kept as clean as a jacket I wear out to dinner, it is a fishing jacket, and my fishing jacket is used only for fishing. But, if I get slapped up by a slimey halibut, forget some prawns in a baggie in a pocket and now the jacket reeks like prawn arse, or whatever, and now the jacket is gross and/or stinky, it is going in the WASH! Further more, I own several other gortex jackets (not fishing brand, a couple of MEC, an Arcteryx, and others) and they have all been washed over a dozen times

Hey everyone different. I just found over the years that gortex material becomes lose over time. That's just me. Personally I keep fish guts away from my jacket. That's just me. I don't wipe bait on my jacket or waders either. That's just me. I wear the same waders and jacket for the past 2 years now and they still look and feel like they did the day I got them. Before I purchased my G4 jacket I owned a G3. Again, I only wiped it and hand washed in the bath tub twice. It's just comon sense that overtime the structure of the seams break down in the washing machine. The manufacture should admit that. But then Again, they're in the business of selling clothing.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »

Simms actually recommends washing waders and there's a video on their website on how to do so - using a washing machine:

https://www.simmsfishing.com/explore/repairs.html

I own two Simms guide jackets and both provide instructions on how to wash, using a washing machine, right on the label.  I do wash my Simms jackets from time to time using Nikwax products and have not had any issues.  My original Simms guide jacket which is 12+ years old now is wearing out (I have the same issue with the tape coming off the seam at the hood), but the jacket still works well.  I'm sure that this damage has nothing to do with washing it.  I just don't use that jacket when there's lots of rain in the forecast.  My other Simms guide jacket is probably 4 - 5 years old now and has no issues.

I too avoid getting any dirt or roe juice on my jacket/waders but it's inevitable.  When it happens (provided I notice it), I immediately wash off in the water.  I do see some guys with stained waders/jackets that have not been cared for, and I just shrug my shoulders and move on.  Nothing is worse than a Simms jacket stained red with roe!!!   ;D ;D ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

good that they have finally endorsed machine wash as they had recommended hand wash for years. Any of their products are supposed to be washed before being sent back for service and they may return unwashed products depending on condition. I have also heard they will not service any waders/clothing that has any black mold or mildew.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Silex-user

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »

I guess I got lucky with my G4 wader. No problems even I slipped and fell million times on rocks no leaks or tears. Had them over 4 years.

Silex user

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »

My G4 jacket was great...until it wasn’t.