Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Thompson & Chilcotin River Steelhead Petition & Media  (Read 15393 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Save Thompson & Chilcotin River Steelhead Petition & Media
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »

"The Cultus Lake sockeye salmon is designated as endangered by COSEWIC. In January 2005, a final decision was made by the Government of Canada to not list Cultus Lake sockeye salmon under the Species at Risk Act (SARA), due to the significant socio-economic impacts on sockeye fishers and coastal communities."

Mixed stock commercial fisheries are far more important than the survival of a species. Don't worry though, it will recover by demonizing a native species (the evil pikeminnow) to justify a continuous cull. ;D

Back to steelhead...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »

Now Rodney ...  ;)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 11:18:47 PM »

Fine my understanding of how a SARA listing as endangered would effectively stop any recreational fishing too not just commercial.

I’m not expert but steelhead are effectively in the Fraser River along time.

Also I thought DFO wrote a letter this summer saying they don’t have the enforcement tools to have a selective recreational fishery.

Also to Thompson River steel head spend any time in other tributary besides the ones they spawn in?

I am not trying to spout doom and gloom here but it seems there are quite a few issues adding up here that could see a total Fraser River closure to rec salmon fishing. SRKW for chinook, SARA listings for steelhead and sockeye.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »

... I am not trying to spout doom and gloom here but it seems there are quite a few issues adding up here that could see a total Fraser River closure to rec salmon fishing. SRKW for chinook, SARA listings for steelhead and sockeye.

Sad that is has now come to this point.
Sadder if we fight these actions based on our perceived "need" to fish the big river...
If this is what is truly required, I would hope that all fishing folks would climb on board asap!

Related Global BC video: https://globalnews.ca/video/3920563/should-bcs-steelhead-salmon-be-listed-as-endangered-a-hollywood-star-lends-his-voice-to-the-discussion

Cheers,
Nog

quill

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

I spoke to one of the COSEWIC marine sub committee members a couple of days ago and he passed along his frustration that his group had recommended Atlantic cod for SARA protection a decade ago and federal cabinet had yet to review.  Also note that this is the second time Cultus sockeye have been advanced for SARA.

So, your fishing is safe, as far as access goes, there's no chance either petition will be successful and very little will change.  There's a pretty good chance you'll be fishing for memories tho in the case of Thompson steelhead.

The petitions are a good way to get these issues before the House of Commons however.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:20:52 PM by quill »

joshhowat

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »

Stop the nets sign the petition.

Finally getting somewhere.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1416

Also sign this one, so we can get them listed on the species at risk act.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1419
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:19:14 PM by joshhowat »
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

There is also this one going around

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1419

But i am not sure if a listing would mean the end of recreational fishing as well.

Thanks, I was not aware of that one.  A listing would be a good thing, no? So that (hopefully) in the future they may still be around to be de-listed once out of danger and future generations have the opportunity to fish for and admire these fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 08:18:07 AM »

"The Cultus Lake sockeye salmon is designated as endangered by COSEWIC. In January 2005, a final decision was made by the Government of Canada to not list Cultus Lake sockeye salmon under the Species at Risk Act (SARA), due to the significant socio-economic impacts on sockeye fishers and coastal communities."

Mixed stock commercial fisheries are far more important than the survival of a species. Don't worry though, it will recover by demonizing a native species (the evil pikeminnow) to justify a continuous cull. ;D

Back to steelhead...

we need to fit electronic radio beanies on pike minnow to prove they eat helpless baby sockeye!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »

HAHA i don't no about pike minnow but I had a bull trout this summer in Pitt lake cough up a bunch of sockeye smolts.

The Pitt river system has a healthy amount of bull trout and sockeye so i am sure they coexist just fine!

and there was also a seal in pitt lake dident see a beanie tho!

Steelhead Society of BC

• Steelhead Society of BC
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »

***MEDIA RELEASE - DECEMBER 18th, 2017***

E-petition to save Thompson steelhead an overnight success

Fisheries Minister is compelled to formally respond to steelhead e-petition

NEWS RELEASE

December 18, 2017

Steelhead Society of British Columbia

An e-petition demanding tough federal action to save collapsing steelhead populations in the upper Fraser River system is an immediate success, the Steelhead Society of British Columbia announced Monday.

The e-petition attracted 500 signatures — the minimum threshold for compelling a formal response by the Trudeau government — less than 24 hours after posting to Canada’s Parliamentary website on Friday December 15, 2017. Titled “e-1416 (Fishing Industry)” the e-petition will be online and available for signing until April 14, 2018.

“We’re asking everyone who supports conservation principles to take five minutes to please read and sign the e-petition,” SSBC President Brian Braidwood said. “This is an important step toward persuading Dominic Leblanc, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, of the urgency for effective action to stop further decimation Thompson River and Chilcotin River steelhead.”

The e-petition was initiated by SSBC Director Poul Bech after less than 200 steelhead returned this autumn to the sprawling Thompson River, largest tributary of the Fraser, compared to runs numbering in the thousands in decades past. Less than 50 steelhead returned to the Chilcotin. It is sponsored by Port Moody-Coquitlam MP Fin Donnelly. 

The e-petition calls on the Fisheries Minister “to suspend all gill net and purse seine chum salmon fisheries in the Fraser River and approach areas including Johnstone Strait during the annual Interior Fraser River Steelhead migration in the months of September, October and November; and to work with gill net and purse seine fishers to establish alternative, sustainable, fully selective and fully monitored fisheries practices during the annual Interior Fraser River steelhead migration. “ 

Last week, the Society revealed that iconic Canadian actor William Shatner had sent a letter to Leblanc and three BC provincial cabinet ministers, calling for “immediate action” to address the collapse.

Also last week, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) announced that it has launched an emergency assessment of Interior Fraser system steelhead. COSEWIC chair Eric Taylor told Canadian Press that depending on the results of the assessment; those steelhead runs could be listed as endangered species. Taylor also held out the possibility that effect conservation measures could help the populations recover.

Formed in 1970 by a group of dedicated steelhead anglers concerned about the state of wild steelhead stocks and the wild rivers of British Columbia, the Steelhead Society of BC is a charitable non-profit river conservation organization. The Society has evolved to advocate for the health of all wild salmonids and wild rivers in British Columbia.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

Brian Braidwood, President, SSBC 
604-626-7085
brian_braidwood@hotmail.com

Cody Sojka, Director, SSBC
778-241-2837
Cody_Sojka@hotmail.ca
Wild Fish, Wild Rivers

Jk47

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 11:43:40 PM »

Where’s the “like” button? This post needs to be at the top and anyone reading this that hasn’t signed needs to sign... thanks for all your hard work, Cody

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »

I signed mine. Just don't know if this is enough to move the fed when the provincial government which has jurisdiction on steelhead doesn't do their part to oppose the net fishery on the Fraser during steelhead migration.

Silex-user

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

Signed. Sad to see this fisheries going downhill so fast. Used to fished it in back in the 80's and 90's. One hardest fighting  steelies I ever caught and I have fished all over B.C and Washington state for them.

Silex user

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 01:17:21 AM »

The Thompson steels are called 'heart-stoppers' by some because they can empty your spool by going upstream. Sad to see this legendary breed of steelhead heading towards extinction if those nets continue to wipe out the stock. What DFO did to those precious steelies totally expose their hypocrisy towards the recreational anglers when they kept us out of the Fraser claiming they did that to prevent any harm (without any proof) to sockeye by sporties,  when it runs in the millions compared to the very low number of Thompson steelhead. What a joke!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:19:31 AM by Steelhawk »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »