Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Thompson & Chilcotin River Steelhead Petition & Media  (Read 15539 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Save Thompson & Chilcotin River Steelhead Petition & Media
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »

How would people feel about them doing beach seining and gill letting in tributaries of the Fraser like C/V rather than the Fraser river?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

How would people feel about them doing beach seining and gill letting in tributaries of the Fraser like C/V rather than the Fraser river?
There are native nets pretty much completely across the mouth of the Harrison most of the fall.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:28 PM »

There are native nets pretty much completely across the mouth of the Harrison most of the fall.

Yes sir!

What a lot of people dont know is most of those Chum that are caught on the Harrison at that time are then sold for non first nations to consume. I have seen that fishery fall off the map over the past 20 years. Soon the rec angler will be banned but it's ok. You'll be able to purchase Chum cooked in a 5 star restaurant harvested by the first nations people (that manage that fishery) that then sell it to a distributor for profit. It's all ceremonial right ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »

A response from the government was tabled earlier this month.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/ePetitions/Responses/421/e-1416/421-02293_DFO_E.pdf

"The Government of Canada is committed to protecting our fish for future generations and we understand and share concerns around steelhead returns. While steelhead is a provincially-managed fishery, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is taking action to help conserve this important species.

All directed salmon fisheries that have the potential to incidentally intercept steelhead are currently required to implement measures to reduce the chances of intercepting steelhead and/or minimize the potential harm to any steelhead that are incidentally caught, and to release these fish. Those fisheries which have been assessed to historically have the largest impact on Interior Fraser steelhead have already been drastically reduced, with time and area closures in place designed to avoid the majority of the Interior Fraser steelhead migration. They are also required to implement selective measures such as brailing of catch in seine fisheries, and the use of revival boxes. While there is still some impact of various salmon fisheries on interior Fraser Steelhead due to post-release mortalities, existing management measures have greatly limited these impacts.

While chum salmon fisheries can contribute to Interior Fraser Steelhead mortality, other sources of mortality have not been adequately assessed, including impacts during the freshwater phase of the lifecycle.

In the interim, the Department has identified the conservation of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead Trout as a key priority for salmon fishery planning this year. The Department is reviewing the impacts of all salmon fisheries in the Fraser River and approach areas for the 2018 fishing season, and new management measures to protect Interior Fraser Steelhead for the 2018 draft South Coast Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans is currently developing a Recovery Potential Assessment as part of the Species at Risk Act emergency listing process. This assessment will consider the impacts of threats to Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead populations."

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »

The government is now asking for feed back on the listing here is what a listing would look like.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/consultations/steelheadtrout-saumonarcenciel/management-scenarios-gestion/index-eng.html#4-1

Besides Coho fishing on the Fraser the other big impact from the listing would be pink salmon fishing on the Fraser as well.  The closure window would extend into peek Fraser river pink salmon migration.

As much as I would like to see a listening because i think salmon coast wide would benefit from this I think its going to be the same case as  cultus sockeye a do not list is going to happen.

The hidden benefits to this is many tributary of the Fraser would see much higher returns of salmon.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »

I'm all for it in the end. However, no Chum retention on the Harrison between the hey 7 bridge and Fraser is ludicrous. I made a stop there yesterday, to chuck a few jigs, caught and released fish and saw multiple boats bonking Chum. Nobody cared and knew about these protective measures put in place for the fish listed in the protection order.

This looks like the new normal. Itll take decades for stocks to repair themselves ( if they do at all ). I am torn.the Harrison mouth is such a good spot for chrome Chum. Up river not so much.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:01:05 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »

Re: Harrison River Chum salmon regs from Hwy 7 to Fraser. I was discussing this on the phone yesterday and the regs have not been updated. So far only the regs. and daily quotas for that section have been updated until Sept 28th, there should be a separate notice or summary of what they should be for the rest of the year. As of now, it neither says what's open or what's closed. As usual, someone should have addressed this way in advance, and the person in charge in on holiday until mid Oct. ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »

Re: Harrison River Chum salmon regs from Hwy 7 to Fraser. I was discussing this on the phone yesterday and the regs have not been updated. So far only the regs. and daily quotas for that section have been updated until Sept 28th, there should be a separate notice or summary of what they should be for the rest of the year. As of now, it neither says what's open or what's closed. As usual, someone should have addressed this way in advance, and the person in charge in on holiday until mid Oct. ::)

Thank you that bit of information. I appreciate that. My understanding of what is detailed in the regulations are retention of Chum 2 per day for the month of Sept. That's it. I guess I'll have to go up river for now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »

The boundary markers at the Harrison and Dewdney Slough will effect some anglers fishing in the clear water plume below both those watersheds.

If there is a Pink Salmon opening in 2019 a closure start of Sept 28 to Oct 3 won't overlap with much of the Pink Salmon season. Most of the pinks that spawn in Fraser are in poor condition and a majority will be spawning. Some clean fish will be moving through to rivers like the Vedder and Harrison.

These scenarios don't list the Harrison.

I think the biggest issue is to stop commercial gill netting before the 2nd week of November.  Under current restrictions there is a 2 week window where a chum opening could have a serious impact on migrating IFS.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

If there is a Pink Salmon opening in 2019 a closure start of Sept 28 to Oct 3 won't overlap with much of the Pink Salmon season. Most of the pinks that spawn in Fraser are in poor condition and a majority will be spawning. Some clean fish will be moving through to rivers like the Vedder and Harrison.

It they get listed It would, However I expect they will get a DO NOT LIST

Salmon and trout closures:

Fraser River – Mouth to   Sub Areas: 29-11 to 29-17      11-Sep TO   10-Nov
Fraser River – Mission to Hope    12-Sep TO 11-Nov

Sage2106

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 03:06:52 PM »

Just out right stop gill netting the river period. A spot closer in the fall does nothing for the fish that do make it to spawn and try to head back out as kelts only to get caught in the spring gill net fisheries.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »

We all here want to have more opportunities and access while maintaining conservation for future generation , that I believe is near 100% majority consensus!  However I have said this before the SSBC IS ONE CLUB, BCFDF, BCWF, TU, BCFFF, etc are others , many of these clubs have intertwined members !, however huge issues like this one dont even come close to grabbing at the politicians because they believe we are fringed and inter fighting amongst us has led to that opinion( bait ban , hatcheries, fly only etc etc) .  What I believe is truly needed is a 100% mandatory membership for ALL BC ANGLERS, this could be achieved through a small surcharge on both salt and fresh waters licenses which in turn would make you a member for the year! Then this “club/union/ society/organization would have access to these funds to lobby /bargain and organize the sports community into a very strong voice who’s direction would be dictated through meeting and consensus in directions the majority wanted! All I have to say is look south and see the power and influence the NRA has on voting decisions and see what unification may possibly do for us

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »

We all here want to have more opportunities and access while maintaining conservation for future generation , that I believe is near 100% majority consensus!  However I have said this before the SSBC IS ONE CLUB, BCFDF, BCWF, TU, BCFFF, etc are others , many of these clubs have intertwined members !, however huge issues like this one dont even come close to grabbing at the politicians because they believe we are fringed and inter fighting amongst us has led to that opinion( bait ban , hatcheries, fly only etc etc) .  What I believe is truly needed is a 100% mandatory membership for ALL BC ANGLERS, this could be achieved through a small surcharge on both salt and fresh waters licenses which in turn would make you a member for the year! Then this “club/union/ society/organization would have access to these funds to lobby /bargain and organize the sports community into a very strong voice who’s direction would be dictated through meeting and consensus in directions the majority wanted! All I have to say is look south and see the power and influence the NRA has on voting decisions and see what unification may possibly do for us

You sold me on that. FN, commercial and even the NRA have leverage. Let's say there is a lobby/fisherfolk union. Where is the leverage?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »

It they get listed It would, However I expect they will get a DO NOT LIST

Salmon and trout closures:

Fraser River – Mouth to   Sub Areas: 29-11 to 29-17      11-Sep TO   10-Nov
Fraser River – Mission to Hope    12-Sep TO 11-Nov

who gets listed? IFS?Wat are you referring to?

Where do we send feedback?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.