Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shorefishing between Ambleside and Dundarave?  (Read 10516 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Shorefishing between Ambleside and Dundarave?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »

Yeah, I paid (I think $329 or something like that).  When I got to Costco the day I bought it, I walked by the skid load of them and thought, wow, thats a deal.  I continued shopping and circled back, there was one left, so I snatched it up.

Did you do a flush mount scotty or the standard scotty mount?  Or something else?

BananasQ

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

Scotty flush-mount; felt it would ease the torque on the hull going the flush-mount option.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »

So, for folk who actually participate in kayak fishing...what happens when you hook into a stubborn chinook? Does it take 45 minutes to pull it in while it drags you out to sea in front of tanker traffic and through the rips?

doja

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »

Hooked 10# trout and they pull me around in a kayak that's about 80# so yes it will pull you around but I'd give it a go...  Drop anchor of you want to stop it...  A real anchor that digs. Mines about 5 or 10#

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »

Yeah, flush mount probably does make the most sense.  Scotty does make backing plates that help to spread the torque around.

I've never caught anything bigger than ~3lbs in my yak.  It will be an adventure for sure, will start with Pinks this year and see how it goes.  If one gets in trouble with a big fish, you can break it/cut it.  Not ideal, but safety first.

BananasQ

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Yeah, flush mount probably does make the most sense.  Scotty does make backing plates that help to spread the torque around.

I've never caught anything bigger than ~3lbs in my yak.  It will be an adventure for sure, will start with Pinks this year and see how it goes.  If one gets in trouble with a big fish, you can break it/cut it.  Not ideal, but safety first.

I do recall that I placed large washers (can't recall the term for them now) in lieu of a backing plate. That'll work fine I reckon, I just wouldn't go running a rigger or using a prawn trap pulley in there, but for a rod its certainly been good enough so far.  Good idea on the pinks.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

I've thought of fishing ambleside in my kayak but have never fished the salt. Slack tide or incoming would be the ticket there? I've heard the tidal current's are pretty quick there.

Threaten from the big boat is an issue. Kayak in the salt is doable. The worst kayak fishing experience is in Cultus lake in the summer time. Ten times worse than salt.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »

Yeah, I paid (I think $329 or something like that).  When I got to Costco the day I bought it, I walked by the skid load of them and thought, wow, thats a deal.  I continued shopping and circled back, there was one left, so I snatched it up.

Did you do a flush mount scotty or the standard scotty mount?  Or something else?

standard scotty mount. The flush mount is too low. Also, you have to punch larger holes on your kayak. No fish here can flip your kayak.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »

West Van. unfortunately has bylaws to prevent this. It is signed. A few times a year, every year,  I see someone fishing accompanied by the heckling of a geriatric mob forming behind them. Although, ironically they often have dogs with them on the pathway which is also against the bylaws.  :o

Is it no fishing from the seawalk or from anywhere along the shore including the rocks beyond the seawalk? I can see no fishing from the seawalk as it is unsafe for others, but why no fishing from rocks away from the seawalk?

colin6101

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »

I've pulled in some big fish from my kayak and it is definitely doable. Usually I find I can bring even decent sized springs in fairly quickly. I think dragging the boat around tires them out as well. This one was caught off Quadra Island on the fly.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »

I've pulled in some big fish from my kayak and it is definitely doable. Usually I find I can bring even decent sized springs in fairly quickly. I think dragging the boat around tires them out as well. This one was caught off Quadra Island on the fly.

Very nice. Unfortunately, fishing in west van sea shore is not as good as Campbell river
I pull out a Chum kayak fishing in Fraser River this year. In the high tide, the river is as calm as small pond.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:45:20 PM by psd1179 »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »

Nice!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »

From what I am aware, there are two areas between the mouth of Cap and Dundarave Pier in West Van where you can fish from shore: 1. Dog leash off area in Ambleside Park 2. Fishing Pier at 14th St. Other areas are pretty much closed off to fishing.

Ambassador

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 04:46:33 AM »

I had one of those sale $300 Costco packages a couple summers back. I cut up a cutting board and made backing plates for my Scotty rod mounts as the material is pretty thin on those and I was sure would rip out at some point without some sort of backing.
I have since switched to a sit-on-top that I far prefer (Pelican Boost while I save for a Hobie Mirage Drive) - and have kitted it out nicely with rod holders and a fish finder. While a teeny bit less stable, I feel a whole lot safer in it - especially around Ambleside where it can become quite the rodeo from time to time due to winds, currents, and mega-tankers - not to mention much easier dismounting at the shore when the waves are crashing in. Easier to control 2 rods, easier to bring up crab traps, and no chance of getting swamped. Like Damien I have yet to land a Spring on it, but will just cut the line as mentioned should it become unsafe. I've easily landed decent sized Dogfish and Sole down there on it, and battled a much larger beast for a couple minutes before I lost him. Not sure about Springs - hoping for the best - but Pinks will be a breeze. Ecomarine on Granville Island sells cool little kayak parachute anchors that I'm gonna pick up that I can throw out if things get hairy. The guy at the shop has one and was saying really good things about them.

As for lack of storage space - I store mine at Burrard Marina. Comes out to $1 a day for the year. Steps from the water to drop in - and super convenient to drive to and pick up for when we are hitting other waters.

The 2017 Mirage Drive system has a new 180 degree feature I'd love to try out. Sounds like an awesome feature one could activate to prevent a massive Spring from dragging you out into the tanker shipping lanes.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »

Smart move using a cutting board.  I did that on my tin boat, glued a piece of cutting board to my transom and then screwed my transducer into it, so I didn't hvae to drill into my aluminum hull.  Should have thought of using it for a backing plate on the Yak.  THat will save a few bucks over the scotty backer for sure.

I would totally upgrade my Yak down the road, but for now I have my 14' with 30hp Yamaha that I use most of the time.  But I like to have the Yak on hand to toss into the local ponds, estuaries and Bedford channel out here in Langley when fishing solo.  Found a Yakima roof top fold down J style Yak rack on craigs for $100.  Pretty stoked to use on the top of my Ford Escape Ecoboost.

Wow, sorry for the thread highjack to the OP.