Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shorefishing between Ambleside and Dundarave?  (Read 10521 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Shorefishing between Ambleside and Dundarave?
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »

Just walked the wall there for the first time, now I'm wondering if you can shorefish for salmon when the time comes near Lawson and Macdonald (I think) Creeks where they empty out?

Seatosky

Re: Shorefishing between Ambleside and Dundarave?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »

West Van. unfortunately has bylaws to prevent this. It is signed. A few times a year, every year,  I see someone fishing accompanied by the heckling of a geriatric mob forming behind them. Although, ironically they often have dogs with them on the pathway which is also against the bylaws.  :o

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »

Boo.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »

Though there seemed to be spaces between signs...

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »

Get a kayak!  ;)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Been thinking of an inflatable...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »

West Van. unfortunately has bylaws to prevent this. It is signed. A few times a year, every year,  I see someone fishing accompanied by the heckling of a geriatric mob forming behind them. Although, ironically they often have dogs with them on the pathway which is also against the bylaws.  :o
Typical NIMBYs. I had no idea W.Van had any bylaws prohibiting shore fishing. I wonder what the logic was behind that...

Birkenhead

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

Does the sign(s) specifically say the actual bylaw number as I cannot find any mention of a fishing ban on the bylaw section of website for West Vancouver.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »

kayak drifting is better than shore fishing. There are too many rocks along the shore and very easy to snag the bottom.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »

My local Costco just got a flat of the Pelican Kayaks in.  $499 online, $399 in store price.  I bought one last year, and love it.  Basic, light, comfy enough for 3-4 hours if not going great distance.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »

I've thought of fishing ambleside in my kayak but have never fished the salt. Slack tide or incoming would be the ticket there? I've heard the tidal current's are pretty quick there.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »

My local Costco just got a flat of the Pelican Kayaks in.  $499 online, $399 in store price.  I bought one last year, and love it.  Basic, light, comfy enough for 3-4 hours if not going great distance.

I saw those and was very sad we live in a condo with no place to store it. The kayaks look good and $400 seems like a great price!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Friend of mine that lives in a condo was able to get a spot in the bike locker for his Yak.

chironomidking

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:43 AM »

If there is a bylaw, would in not only apply to fishing from the shore above the high tide mark?  Does the City have any jurisdiction over lands below high tide mark or would it be Provincial or Federal jurisdiction?  Would this be similar to walking a creek or river that is bordered by private land where the owner does not own the property below the high water mark?

BananasQ

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

I got one too, if memory serves I may have even paid only $299 in an end of March blow-out.  I added a rod holder to it too, fairly straightforward custom.  Not a Hobie, but at 10% of the price its definitely more than 10% good enough!