Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video: Developing new fishing licence products  (Read 6494 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Video: Developing new fishing licence products
« on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »

Here is a presentation by Adrian Clarke, VP of Science at Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC (GoFishBC) on ideas for new freshwater fishing licences in this province.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Z15HBi504

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Video: Developing new fishing licence products
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

Did anyone here receive a copy of the survey (I wish I had).

I would also like to see other innovations, such and more update web site and an easier process to buy your license. 

I would also like to see some form of mandatory (minimum level) testing that you have to pass before you can buy your license, such as the 40 out of 50 knowledge test required for a drivers license.    However, I also recognize that this may go against the desire to generate more revenue.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a system in which you could receive a "good angler" discount on your license (say 10-20%) if you successfully pass a 40 of 50 (whatever) multiple-choice questionnaire?   While this may reduce license revenues it may also have a positive effect on some of our fisheries which would off-set the revenue reduction?

Thoughts?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »

Those additional comments can be sent to fish@gofishbc.com.

West

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »

I like the idea of being able to buy a 3-5 year licence at a discount.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:15:15 AM »

Actually, I'll also make sure these feedbacks posted here are forwarded to the right person, so no need to email them in.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated.

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »

Thanks Rod,

Here is some feedback:

youth license     – good idea, but extend to university years (university discounts, school discounts, college discounts, etc.)
3-5 year license – good idea
14 days license  – OK, but also consider 30 and 60 days licenses
family / spousal – good idea
license packages – concern: how will the money be distributed to individual programs i.e. steelhead vs. salmon, etc. Separate stamps make distribution easier IMO.

dufflayer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »

I would pay for a multi-year licence, but would like to see a different format. Carrying a piece of paper around sucks, while it means I can print off several and keep one in the truck, waders, office, etc... They always seem to get wet or misplaced.
A plastic credit card style would be nice, or the ability to display it on your phone...

Is the fishing licence going to be integrated with the FWID eventually? If so, one licence could manage all your info and make trips to the service desk a little easier. As of now, each spring I have to make four transactions for various licences, stamps, and tags. It's annoying especially since the office is only open during bank hours. Could this ultimately be connected with you driver's licence?

As of now I think the price is fair and the process of obtaining a licence is easy. I think rather than incentivising different demographics to get out and fish, there should be continued emphasis on fishing ethically and following the regulations.
Go Leafs Go

Walleye76

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

Agree on the plastic card, had them back in Ont and you simply affix any conservation stamps (stickers) to the back of card in outlined area. Could have a paper sheet to record catches still or an online reporting system would be awesome!!

dufflayer

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

Agree on the plastic card, had them back in Ont and you simply affix any conservation stamps (stickers) to the back of card in outlined area. Could have a paper sheet to record catches still or an online reporting system would be awesome!!

You're right. The old cards were awesome. Had a wicked picture of a large mouth inhaling a minnow. Last time I was home I got a one day licence from a fishing shop. They print the licence right there on plasticized paper, it was really easy.

I thought about online reporting too, but imagined it would be frustrating for the old timers that don't use technology and most of the time I fish outside of cell service.
Go Leafs Go

Walleye76

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »

I thought about online reporting too, but imagined it would be frustrating for the old timers that don't use technology and most of the time I fish outside of cell service.
Option of either might be useful for those who don't want to or can't instantly report...an app based license option would be great IMO but not always practical in remote areas we frequently fish

TacoChris

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

I do not think format the license is in is not up to the FFSBC. They do not do enforcement they can make suggestions but as government no longer gets the money I doubt they will change what they have now. By having the angler print the license they have saved a huge amount of money on printing and distributing licenses every year. Same for apps for phones yet even more cost to implement it can be done but not as easily as most believe. I can just imagine all the anglers claiming they can not show their license because the phone was out off power or got wet.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »

--I like the idea of a spouse or family basic licence fee to reduce family costs and encourage more to start or stay fishing.
--There should be no reduction in the price of tags or surcharges for keeping fish and the family keep quota should be reduced unless each license holder pays the full fee and not the reduced fee.

--There is no need for a reduction for multi year license. The inscentive is in the convenience and also there will be some built in savings to the purchaser if fees increase for inflation or other reasons during the term of their licences.

--There should be a voluntary donation section in the HCT section to allow for easy donation at time of license purchase.

--An example would be in our club there are life time members who are not required to pay dues but each year pay their fee. I believe many seniors who intend to fish a significant amount of time that get the $5 fee may volunteer to pay an additional amount. Those who cannot afford more or choose not to pay more should not be forced to as current seniors paid taxes all their working lives and at the time a portion of their taxes went to f&w.... now that the current system of funding has changed and if it stays the same that it is self funded by license sales then those who are starting work now can pay the full price 35 years from now as they will not have already contributed through taxes to items currently funded by license fees. 

--As an asside... I don't want to see the focus of Freshwater fisheries changed such that they become a fund raising organization. It can easily happen. Also believe that Government just cannot keep their hands off of any pile of money so if the society gets to much in the bank Government will start to use the money for MOE  and paying CO's etc. that are supposed to still be paid out of General revenue.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:18:16 AM by skaha »

GordJ

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »

Option of either might be useful for those who don't want to or can't instantly report...an app based license option would be great IMO but not always practical in remote areas we frequently fish
Funny, the Yukon licence is digital and they have some fairly remote spots.

Walleye76

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »

Digital license wouldn't be an issue as you don't need service to show something already on your phone, it is the catch reporting that I was meaning would not be "instant" if your out of service, but it could be stored within an app and auto updates once service is restored