Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video: Developing new fishing licence products  (Read 6549 times)

dobrolub

Re: Video: Developing new fishing licence products
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »

del
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:16:08 PM by dobrolub »

hrenya

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 06:14:21 PM »

I `ll join to changing piece of paper on app or some kind of plastic card :)
I was always wondering , if its pissing rain and u "must record your catch with ink asap" on a piece of paper - how you do that ?! and what will happen if you will be checked by CO at that moment when you think "oh , I`ll do it later or I`ll do it in my car" , wonder the reaction of CO , and if he will be ok with you writing it in your car - what % of people will do it ?! :/

hrenya

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »

I also agree with "kind of exam" thing too ...
make it like a driver`s license : few categories - easiest one - fish stock trout/pea mouth chubs , middle -c&r skills (practice) , hard - allows to fish for salmon , hardest -sturgy/steelhead
or something similar ....
it`s so sad that many people got no clue what they are doing and their excuse is - "oh I didn't know that" . In my motherland we have saying "if you don`t know the law , that won`t consider to be your excuse not to be punished"

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »

I agree on some kind of an exam, you need to be able to identify your catch, also test your ability to understand the regulations, ie. boundaries and time of the year for specific fish.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

TacoChris

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »

A test added to all the other requirements will discourage new anglers. I can just see someone that wants to take their kid to a lake to fish for rainbows giving up as they see another hoop to jump through and cost they must incur. Any change like this would need to be implemented by the BC government as this would have to be put in the fishing regulations. Safety is not an issue as it is with the boating exam or firearms so I doubt there much motive to do so.It will do nothing to stop willful violations. The results do not justify the added bureaucracy or costs in my opinion.

As for apps etc no problem all is possible it may be a bit more complex for BC than other jurisdictions. Just charge those costs for developing and implementing all these thing to those that purchase apps and leave the cost of printing it on your own piece of paper the same.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »

A test added to all the other requirements will discourage new anglers. I can just see someone that wants to take their kid to a lake to fish for rainbows giving up as they see another hoop to jump through and cost they must incur. Any change like this would need to be implemented by the BC government as this would have to be put in the fishing regulations. Safety is not an issue as it is with the boating exam or firearms so I doubt there much motive to do so.It will do nothing to stop willful violations. The results do not justify the added bureaucracy or costs in my opinion.

As for apps etc no problem all is possible it may be a bit more complex for BC than other jurisdictions. Just charge those costs for developing and implementing all these thing to those that purchase apps and leave the cost of printing it on your own piece of paper the same.
Much as I agree with that they would have to make sure enough people would buy the app...

Walleye76

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 08:13:01 AM »

App development costs would be next to nothing, as they already exist, to develop a new app specifically for BC would not be needed. There are numerous states and provinces that already utilize them (alot use the same one just "tweaked" for that location) Sask and Alberta both use the Active Hunt & Fish App ( as well as tennesse, Massachusetts, Connecticut Minnesota & Louisiana plus others) and the app is free. I realize that not everyone will carry phone w them outdoors but let's face it in today's day and age ALOT of anglers/hunter do, weather it be for emergencies (when in cell range) to take photos or use GPS fishing journal/course plotting apps. (BTW If you haven't checked out some of the fishing journal/trip recording apps out there, they are defiantly worth a look) i think its only a matter of time before this becomes the "norm", technology(for better or worse) is becoming a part of every aspect of our lives.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »

I totally agree. An added test will deter individuals from buying a licence.
This defeats the purpose of this campaign:
1. Meet angler preferences
2. Maintain angler base by recruiting new anglers
3. Ensure revenues is maintained or increased to re-invest in freshwater fisheries.

Lets face it the paper copy sucks. Alternatives would be plastic card (added fee for card) and smartphone app purchase.
The app purchase is a great idea. For these reasons.
- cost of app generates revenue
- Fishing regulations could be added to the app for easy access. A species and location search bar would make it user friendly.
- Guides could be added for information such as species identification, hatchery vs non hatchery etc....

Another method might be monthly subscriptions. I often hear my friends say they do not want to purchase an annual licence because they do not fish that much which also leads them to not want to fish.

Just a couple ideas.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

While I appreciate being able to buy my license online and print it at home, it does seem to often be pouring down rain when I need to record my catch.  Incorporating some of the suggestions above and adding my own, here is what I propose:

Two classes of angler license - certified and apprentice.  Apprentice anglers can fish under the supervision of a guide or other certified angler.  Certified licenses require completion of an exam on fish identification, fishing gear descriptions (i.e. if the regulation states single barbless only, which of these hooks is legal), and I would even add some basic water safety/first aid.  I envision it not being a whole lot different from the hunter's safety course which is required in Washington (I would imagine BC has such a thing as well).  Certified licenses would be plastic with a photo of the angler, and could be for up to 5 years.  Apprentice licenses could still be purchased in the same way online so people can take their cousins and neighbors out to kill some sockeye and the province can still get some revenue there.  Apprentice license purchases would require the apprentice to enter the license number of the sponsoring certified angler or guide (although they don't need to fish only with that certified angler or guide).  Adult anglers would be required to apply for a certified license if they have purchased 3 apprentice licenses in consecutive years, unless special circumstances are shown (i.e. disability or language barrier).  Also, I would make the certified license fee maybe $10 cheaper, just to add some extra encouragement.

Chinook and steelhead retention - plastic ties in cards of 10 that attach like zip ties, but color coded (i.e. grey for steelhead, red for chinook). 
Would have the angler number and year pre-stamped on the tags, and must be attached to the fish - tail or through the gills, prior to resuming fishing.  Much easier to do in all weather, and makes it obvious when someone is carrying out a fish that it has been properly recorded.  Must be recorded online within X number of days of catch.  Unused tags need not be returned since they are year stamped.

The only smartphone application I would like to see would not be a license itself, but a regulations app that can interface with GPS to tell you the regulations where you are fishing, as well as emergency closures, etc.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »

The only smartphone application I would like to see would not be a license itself, but a regulations app that can interface with GPS to tell you the regulations where you are fishing, as well as emergency closures, etc.
Been wanting this for years. Such an easy thing to implement, can't believe it hasn't been done yet

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »

While I appreciate being able to buy my license online and print it at home, it does seem to often be pouring down rain when I need to record my catch.  Incorporating some of the suggestions above and adding my own, here is what I propose:

Two classes of angler license - certified and apprentice.  Apprentice anglers can fish under the supervision of a guide or other certified angler.  Certified licenses require completion of an exam on fish identification, fishing gear descriptions (i.e. if the regulation states single barbless only, which of these hooks is legal), and I would even add some basic water safety/first aid.  I envision it not being a whole lot different from the hunter's safety course which is required in Washington (I would imagine BC has such a thing as well).  Certified licenses would be plastic with a photo of the angler, and could be for up to 5 years.  Apprentice licenses could still be purchased in the same way online so people can take their cousins and neighbors out to kill some sockeye and the province can still get some revenue there.  Apprentice license purchases would require the apprentice to enter the license number of the sponsoring certified angler or guide (although they don't need to fish only with that certified angler or guide).  Adult anglers would be required to apply for a certified license if they have purchased 3 apprentice licenses in consecutive years, unless special circumstances are shown (i.e. disability or language barrier).  Also, I would make the certified license fee maybe $10 cheaper, just to add some extra encouragement.

Chinook and steelhead retention - plastic ties in cards of 10 that attach like zip ties, but color coded (i.e. grey for steelhead, red for chinook). 
Would have the angler number and year pre-stamped on the tags, and must be attached to the fish - tail or through the gills, prior to resuming fishing.  Much easier to do in all weather, and makes it obvious when someone is carrying out a fish that it has been properly recorded.  Must be recorded online within X number of days of catch.  Unused tags need not be returned since they are year stamped.

Re quoted for awesomeness..

How lucky are we Canadians....look what happens in Germany (no wonder they flock over here to fish):

Generally, in order to legally catch a fish in Germany you need two important documents: a “Fischereischein,” or fishing license, and a “Tageskarte,” or permit. The fishing license confirms that you attended and passed a special course and exam. The license allows you to obtain a permit for fishing a specified body of water for a specified period of time.

Obtaining a German fishing license is time consuming and pricey. Its process entails taking a 30-hour course followed by a comprehensive fishing exam that tests what students learned. A good understanding of the German language is a must. The cost of obtaining the license is around $200. The license needs to be renewed annually for about $22.

Once a fishing license is obtained, the next step is getting a permit, which can be purchased for a day, week or month. These permits are available from a variety of private businesses and organizations that own or lease the rights to favorite fishing holes in a desired angling area. These businesses and organizations are usually regional fishing clubs called “Angelvereine,” private landowners, campsites, hotels or tackle shops. Permits generally cost around $15.

http://www.kaiserslauternamerican.com/fishing-in-germany-within-anglers-reach-2/
http://fishinggermany.jimdo.com/taking-my-german-fishing-license/

grayman

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »

As opposed to certified/apprentice licenses, I would suggest that one be a license and the other be a temporary fishing permit. 

License would be akin to obtaining a driver's license (photo, plastic card, stamps printed on the back kind of like how the driver's licenses indicate what type of vehicle the license holder is allowed to operate).  The licenses would be good for 5 years (annual renewal fee x5) and the license holder would be required to take a course on fish identification etc.

Temporary fishing permit would be akin to the learner's driver's license, but on paper (same as our current fishing license) or on an app.  These permits would allow someone to temporarily fish over a period of time, so it would be valid for 1, 2 day etc.  No course would be required but the onus would be on the permit holder to ensure that they have identified the right fish.

And of course, DFO's and CO's could suspend the license/permit if required and/or issue a violation ticket.

+1 for the plastic ties, but I think that would drive the cost of licensing up astronomically.

+1 for the app with GPS for applicable regulations within the area.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »

Not sure If a test is the way to go at all, but if that's what people want I think a better way to go would be a retention endorsement on the license.  Simple test, online, little bit more (say $5 to pay for it).  That way If you wish to retain as the regs allow you take the test, if you wish to just catch and release you do not.