Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river  (Read 4438 times)

Salmon__Slayer

Capilano river
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:50:43 AM »

hello

im planning on fishing the cable soon for some coho. And i have a few questions, does fishing early make a diffrence ? and also there is a staircase leading to the river from the cable pool is that a good spot to fish as im worried i will full of the big rocks

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Capilano river
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »

I think the cabloe pool is the worst possible spot to fish the cap right now. The water is extremely low and the fish are extremely spooky. Chances of hooking up on gear is very low but with a fly that luck might vary.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

Does fishing early make a difference?   Yes as does dusk, fish are less spooky.  Also if you get there early, you are more likely to get the spot you want. 

Is there a staircase leading to the river from the cable pool.  Yes, however it is located at the tailout and you cannot access most of the deeper water in the cable pool from this location (even with waders).  You are wise to be concerned about falling off the rocks.  Wear a life preserver if you do and be extremely careful if the river is running high.  No fish is worth risking your life over.

As suggested by M&F, you are probably better off trying other locations when conditions are more favorable.

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »

Fishing first light for coho increases your odds of success 10 fold, especially on stale pressured fish. And that number isn't an exaggeration :o

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »

Thanks for the update. But my advise to newer fishermen is to stay clear of the cliffs/rocks of the Cable Pool right now due to the high water. One fall from there to the raging water below can be fatal due to the fast rapids and canyon below Cable Pool. No fish is worth risking your life there. Try to use the Capilano camera to gauge the water level and assess the risk before you go there. There are many other saver spots to try at this water level.

I tried the the lower stretch of the Cap also yesterday after work, seeing that the river level was at 3 ft. I first checked the native weirs to see if fish could go past them. It looked good so I went to fish the lower stretch trying different spots. Didn't see anybody with fish on the shore. Very quiet and a bit disappointing that even without the weirs there seem to be lack of fish going up the river.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:38:32 PM by Steelhawk »

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:05 AM »

thanks all for the wonderful feedback went fishing this morning at the tailout around 11 am. Was using a vibrax spinner. I had no luck in casting far enough to the deep water. I decided to go down to the highway bridge area. big mistake as there was barely any water.and there was an area where i saw a few fish but right when i reached on my first cast i lost my lure and with no other lures i went home empty handed.

banx

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »

if purchasing those spinners are an issue.... as those vibrax spinners are damn expensive. I'd suggest making your own colorado blades, or use french blades. they work just as well. and way way cheaper.

also trophy tackle, a local guy, makes fantastic spinners for a  bit cheaper than the vibrax ones. and they come with better hooks.

4TheKids

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »

Like most rivers, the Cap salmon are on the bottom. When I fish there I go with expectation of losing at least 3 terminal setups. I usually drift because a few hooks, some lead, and some leader is well below the cost of gas to get there. If I use metal then I buy the blanks online and assemble them myself. Way cheaper and way more effective to fish because I am willing to lose them.