Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53076 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Fishing Etiquette
« on: December 29, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »

On Sunday, I arrived at Browne parking lot at the same time with another car. I had changed at home so I was out the car and ready to go. I bid my morning to a guy with a dog.

I walked all the way down to Browne and I was the first one there. I decided to do my walk, cast, walk, cast from the middle of the run - hoping to fish all the way down to the tailend. While doing my cast and walk, I looked back and saw the guy with the dog coming down. I thought he would fish above me but instead he walked past me and straight towards the tailend.

I really did not mind because I have learned that at the Vedder most fishermen doesn't care.

So i proceeded to fish towards the tailend and hence to the guy with the dog.

The next thing I know the same guy decided to give me !@#$%^ for fishing too close to him. The guy that walked past me to fish the tailend despite seeing me moving at a fast pace.

That just blew my mind!!!!!!

kanuckle head

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »

If you were the first guy on the run and worked your way down I'd say you had the right of way but if you bypass a fisherman and did not ask to fish below him then ya just low holed him so he has the right to complain

As for encroaching on a fisherman's space, if he doesn't move as ya work your way down it's always best to ask if you can hop him if he wants to be a fence post. communication is best to avoid conflict........if that doesn't work then it's no hold bared   

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »

If you were the first guy on the run and worked your way down I'd say you had the right of way but if you bypass a fisherman and did not ask to fish below him then ya just low holed him so he has the right to complain

As for encroaching on a fisherman's space, if he doesn't move as ya work your way down it's always best to ask if you can hop him if he wants to be a fence post. communication is best to avoid conflict........if that doesn't work then it's no hold bared
The OP was low holed, not the guy giving him an earful.  If anyone had the right to "complain" its the OP.

If your the first on the run, you have first crack at fishing the runs length (if you work it and not telephone pole).  Gearing up in the parking lot to sleeping in your waders, rod ready to go in a tent on the river do not reserve first crack.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »

Etiquettes don't seem to apply on the Vedder these days.

DRP79

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »

Etiquette? Is that a river in Egypt or something?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »

Etiquette applies on any river all the time, that's why it is called etiquette.  There are just more losers fishing the Vedder than other rivers.  If you could toss out etiquette just because others behave badly than there would be never be any etiquette.  People just use the Vedder as an excuse to behave badly.  It only shows their true character.
Not all those who wander are lost

mvelasco

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »

Etiquette applies on any river all the time, that's why it is called etiquette.  There are just more losers fishing the Vedder than other rivers.  If you could toss out etiquette just because others behave badly than there would be never be any etiquette.  People just use the Vedder as an excuse to behave badly.  It only shows their true character.
Nail on the head. Today I walked all the way to the top of the just to ask if I can start below someone and he gave me the green light.  Brought a friend out steelheading for the first time today and made him do the same.
Speaking of etiquette or bad behaviour...saw a wild doe that looked like it was cleaned but left behind at the train bridge. It looked like the birds got to it already though....that sight hurt my soul :(

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »

But did you say anything to him after he whined at you? There's nothing wrong with you telling the guy he low holed you and you were working the run. Not much good complaining on here, you have to stick up for yourself out there.

mikeyman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »

I got low holed 2 times on derby day! Couldnt believe it...flippen ask first. If the guy got one freakin report him at weigh in not showing propper sportsmanship.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:56 AM »

I got low holed 2 times on derby day! Couldnt believe it...flippen ask first. If the guy got one freakin report him at weigh in not showing propper sportsmanship.
Wow, you expected to not get low holed on derby day? Good luck with that.
Fishing derbies are the definition of combat fishing.

DRP79

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

The only person I can control is myself. I fish with etiquette and always ask if its ok to fish below someone or walk to the top of a run and let people start moving before I jump in. Thats just who I am.

Expecting it from other people on the Vedder is where you set yourself up for disappointment. There are many good people out there who do fish with etiquette but they are out numbered by people who do not see beyond the end of their own nose. Over the past 4 years I have given up on first light fishing partly due to the fact that I catch most of my fish mid morning to the afternoon but in large part because of lack of etiquette. Why am I going to crawl out of bed at some ungodly hour to get to the river to find a nice spot for first light to have some DB come in and low hole me. Ruins the experience for me.

Almost all of my BC fishing experience is on the Vedder so I dont know much else. I could see the mentality of people not caring because "everyone" does it and it lulling them into the same type of behavior. Monkey see, monkey do type of thing.

I hold myself to my standards and expect this type of behavior and dont let it get me down too much. I just shake my head and move on. There is lots of river to cover and I am out there for peace, quiet and enjoyment. Why would I let some DB take that from me? Life is too short. That being said, when I come across other ethical anglers, its a great experience, with some great convos and makes it much more enjoyable.

ByteMe

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

When I'm the first on a run, I always start at the middle of the run or lower to the prime tailout,..... problem solved
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

brandooner

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »

Dont fish Browne road  ::) But, yeah that suck, but it happens, doesn't hurt to say something, and if that doesn't work, tossing a nice big boulder in the water below them does.
The Fishin' Musician!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »

I take my dog, my kids, my neighbours kids.
I bring a ball, a stick, and a bucket of skipping stones.
And when this happens I say:
"Here's a good place to play, have 'ater" :o

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »

just avoid popular spots , hike , explorer find new spot , many of those guys who don't care about "rules" will not hike a mile from parking ... pretty easy solution .