Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53138 times)

bobby b

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »

Got to a run today, one guy at the head of the run. As I walked up I looked at him and pointed to the mid section of the run and got a nod back.

Always a good idea to just give a heads up whether you want to drop in above or below someone else.
So far no one has had any objection.
I have also had others come up to me and ask if it was ok to either drop in above or below me.

Just seems like common courtesy

Gotta say though ....the steelheaders I have come across so far have def been a lot nicer to deal with than some encounters I had in the fall salmon season.  :o

Tangles

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 01:53:55 AM »

Gotta say though ....the steelheaders I have come across so far have def been a lot nicer to deal with than some encounters I had in the fall salmon season.  :o
And this is why myself and many others stay away from the Vedder for the most part of salmon season. I can't recall when was the last time someone got my blood going when steelheading, salmon season on the other hand - guaranteed to happen. Someone mentioned above that they don't fish first light for that reason  and that's just so so true, the ignorance you have to put up with just doesn't make it worth during peak season.

Walleye76

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »

sry for my English , idea was that when I got to the run , were was a guy already fishing above me , and its a pretty big stretch  , so I jumped in a middle , that guy who I met at parking went up to that guy , and when went down from me . Nobody was in anyones way , and no one was complaining :)
who cares if he wants to do 2-3 casts above , 2-3 casts below , he`s not in a way and I completely don't mind him passing me by

And there in lies the "argument".... It isn't that people are crowding it's that when an angler is working a run (starting at the top working through it covering it all) and someone "jumped" in the middle. This is the ettiquette that is considered "bad form" essentially you have butted in line and are covering the run (quite often the meat of the run) ahead of the angler who has been working the run in a grid like fashion. Unlike salmon fishing were you find a open spot and give others room, steelheading is more calculated and for a lot of steelheaders a planned out approach to covering water. When someone  "jumps in" below them in the same run instead of working from top to bottom WITHOUT asking. Think of it like being at the movies, if your in line and slowly moving towards the counter and someone jumps line in front of you, would you think that's ok as long as they didn't "crowd" you?

hrenya

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »

And there in lies the "argument".... It isn't that people are crowding it's that when an angler is working a run (starting at the top working through it covering it all) and someone "jumped" in the middle. This is the ettiquette that is considered "bad form" essentially you have butted in line and are covering the run (quite often the meat of the run) ahead of the angler who has been working the run in a grid like fashion. Unlike salmon fishing were you find a open spot and give others room, steelheading is more calculated and for a lot of steelheaders a planned out approach to covering water. When someone  "jumps in" below them in the same run instead of working from top to bottom WITHOUT asking. Think of it like being at the movies, if your in line and slowly moving towards the counter and someone jumps line in front of you, would you think that's ok as long as they didn't "crowd" you?
like I said above , where were LOTS of room , we talking about 300-400feet away from each other .... why I should hike up and ask a guy if I can fish middle section ? if I will see him moving torwards me  doing couple casts here and there , I have no problems to let him make few cast at a spot im fishing and letting him go below me ... 
also , like said above , if you arrive first on a run - cover "honey hole" first and start from up , I don`t complain in this example , im just saying if you see a guy above you rushing to cover as much as he can and he is getting closer - just let him pass and do a few casts ...
I always ask if I can join a run if I see it might be a "tight" situation , but when lots of room , and I don't see an angler moving down quick - why I can`t fish below him ?!

Walleye76

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »

There are not a ton runs on the Vedder that are 300-400 ft from head to body(middle) or even to the tail out of a run. I'm not saying what you did was low holing, at that distance I would not consider what you did to be that, I think there may be some "discrepancy" in the understanding of the make up of a run. MOST runs will have 3 main sections: head, body and tailout. Reading water is an important part of maximizing your chances of consistently locating steelhead so it is a huge advantage to be able to indentify these sections of a "run" as well as pocket water (whole other subject). Don't get me wrong, you may very well be able to read water and identify where a run starts and ends but for those who can't or perhaps aren't even aware of the make up of a run, I'd HIGHLY recommend researching this, watching on the flow where anglers begin and end working a piece of water and ask questions, here or to a "seasoned" steelheader you may know. All of us at one point or another in our steelheading career where green and put in the time to understand (and in turn catch more) of these beautiful chrome slabs.
This break down maybe a helpful starting point for reading water

http://steelheadnotebook.net/forum/index.php?topic=5032.0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:55:57 AM by Walleye76 »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »

I don't have a problem if some uninformed fisherman decides to fish below me even though they can clearly see I am moving at a relatively good pace.

I don't think we can expect much when it comes to etiquette at the Vedder River.

I have issue when the same guy gives me !@@#$$ when I get down around him!!!!!!!!

That's why I brought this up.

Fine to fish below me if you like but don't give me hell when I get near you!!!!!!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »

I have issue when the same guy gives me !@@#$$ when I get down around him!!!!!!!!

Fine to fish below me if you like but don't give me hell when I get near you!!!!!!

Hey Cohoman.    May be he just doesn't like you, plain and simple. But who care about him ,why let him bother you. Tight line....

Blackrt03

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

Hey Cohoman.    May be he just doesn't like you, plain and simple. But who care about him ,why let him bother you. Tight line....

X2....that's why I try not to go on weekends

hrenya

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »

I don't have a problem if some uninformed fisherman decides to fish below me even though they can clearly see I am moving at a relatively good pace.

I don't think we can expect much when it comes to etiquette at the Vedder River.

x3 if I see you coming I will move , or I will let you pass , that`s common sense

hrenya

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »

There are not a ton runs on the Vedder that are 300-400 ft from head to body(middle) or even to the tail out of a run. I'm not saying what you did was low holing, at that distance I would not consider what you did to be that, I think there may be some "discrepancy" in the understanding of the make up of a run. MOST runs will have 3 main sections: head, body and tailout. Reading water is an important part of maximizing your chances of consistently locating steelhead so it is a huge advantage to be able to indentify these sections of a "run" as well as pocket water (whole other subject). Don't get me wrong, you may very well be able to read water and identify where a run starts and ends but for those who can't or perhaps aren't even aware of the make up of a run, I'd HIGHLY recommend researching this, watching on the flow where anglers begin and end working a piece of water and ask questions, here or to a "seasoned" steelheader you may know. All of us at one point or another in our steelheading career where green and put in the time to understand (and in turn catch more) of these beautiful chrome slabs.
This break down maybe a helpful starting point for reading water

http://steelheadnotebook.net/forum/index.php?topic=5032.0
ty for advices given above , I do have a buddy of mine who fished vedder for 25 years + , we just can`t meet up yet , I really hope we will do that in a couple weeks , cuz I really wanna learn .

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »

If a guy low holes you right now don't sweat it because there will be more fish then usual in the head of the run right now in this low clear conditions where all the oxygenated water is.
The big brutes will sometimes sit out in the far seam at the head where all the chop is.
In these conditions you can't pass up the outside seams but don't forget the skinny stuff inside either.
As the water colours up and rises you would be very suprised how shallow fish will hold.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 06:38:33 PM »

In other words: fish everything.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »

If that's all you got from that then yes, I suggest you fish everytbing.
You already know where the fish are I was throwing some of the lesser experienced guys who might be intimidated by these conditions a bone.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »

I wasn't dissin what you you were saying Noah.
But you did describe almost every type of water.
And I've seen a few (not mine :() fish pulled out of unlikely spots lately.
If one is new they might not even know what you mean at this juncture in the learning curve.
Your advice is sound. ;)

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »

Im a very friendly guy, If your out on the flow and see me come talk to me. I love to talk to everyone and share/Recieve info about things. But some people are just ignorant. I treat people how i want to be treated. Which is with respect.

Exactly.

I remember this time I was fishing the cap, started at the top of a pool and worked my way downstream. There was this guy fenceposting, and so out of respect I asked him if it's ok for me to move below him. First thing out of his mouth "I'm not here to talk to people!!". I replied I'm just following angler's etiquette, without even listening to me he goes on about how he's a local.. fished there for many years.. yade yada.. thinks he owns the river kind of bs.

Needless to say I gave him an earful and moved on downstream.

On the bright side, I have met many other wonderful anglers on the same system who I won't mind taking a break from fishing just to have a conversation with.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:40:21 PM by fishingwithegg2 »