Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53123 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »

In the 30 plus years I have been fishing the Vedder, I have always conductied myself in an appropriate manner. It's old school mentality. Always start the head of the pool and work your way down. If someone is fence posting ask them if they mind you leap frogging them. Most times they don't, if they do then move along to the next run. I avoid confrontation on the river, getting into a fight over a stupid fish is utterly ridiculous. I leave the run if I get beaked out. I had a very enjoyable day on the river yesterday. Had a fellow walk up to the run I was fishing from down below. He walked past me and started at the head of the run instead of low holing me.  Another fellow on a different run walked past me, then decided to turn around and start at the head of the pool. I asked a fellow on another run if he minded leapfrogging him and he said no problem! So you see there are many anglers who still respect the traditional and courteous way to fish. Always remember to treat others the way u yourself would like to be treated.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »

Exactly.
Getting in an argument will hang with you the rest of the day.
Having said that:
A lot of folks just don't know.
Try to educate and if that doesn't work just walk away shaking your head.
Some will get it, some never will.

Drewhill

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

The tricky thing is on certain runs will only hold fish in certain spots. If you know in a certain run fish hold in the tailout but you want to start at the head and cover all the other water first then you're playing with fire. If you're first to the run it's sometimes best just to hit the spot you think will be prime then move to the top.

The Vedder isn't a large flow in a remote part of BC and if you're fish a popular spot like Browne you have to know more guys are walking in.

chum dad

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »

Two years ago i was fishing the Bulkley and got low holed twice, once by a local and once by a guide who knew better. So it's not just the Veddar/ Chilliwack system, too bad people don't read the regs, its right in there. I usually go to the prime spot first if i'm alone on a run, then move to the head and fish it down. If someone is on the run I ask if its ok to start above him, I think it shows respect for your fellow fishermen as well as the sport.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 06:09:40 PM »

I have fished many week days on the vedder and 95% of the guys i meet and talk to are very respectable and decent people.

However, On the weekends the percentages go down a lot. Weekends its 50-50. Just last weekend a couple guys came walking into the area i was fishing and as they walked past me (Literally 5ft away from me) I said, " Hey, How is it going" And both of the guys gave me a dead stare and proceeded to go below me and fish the run.

Im a very friendly guy, If your out on the flow and see me come talk to me. I love to talk to everyone and share/Recieve info about things. But some people are just ignorant. I treat people how i want to be treated. Which is with respect.

dave c

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 12:45:22 AM »

There is no greater satisfaction than pulling a steelie out of a piece of water a low holer just fished!  Brings a tear to my eye! ;D ;D ;D

wacker

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »

one piece of fishing etiquette that chokes me even worst than being lowholed is when the fisherman at the bottom of the run isn't catching and decides to fish the run a second time so he walks upstream and stops directly below you to fish instead of going to the top of the run.

hrenya

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »

*scratching my head ....
drove to v/c today early in a morning , was at spot about 30mins before I was expecting , drove away to get a coffee ...
when I came back and was ready to go , guy parked besides me , smile on my face and conversation :
-good morning
-good morning (with smile on his face)
-happy new year
-happy new year to you too , bud (still smiling)
-good luck
-good luck to you too (still smiling)

I fished over an hour in a middle of pool , he was above , he passed me and just went way to the lower end ....

For real , I just can`t get one thing , if you have problems in 1 spot or few spots (that are very popular) whats  the point of whinning ? GO , EXPLORER , FIND and you will be fine :)

p.s. be nice and polite :) even if someone is an funny dude - put a smile on your face , no reason to cry about something , just carry on )

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »

I'm kinda lost there hrenya ...
You fished a spot for an hour and someone went below you?

I might be misunderstanding your post; but if you're sitting on a Rock for an hour while trying to catch Steelhead I'm surprised only one person went around you.

This technique (fenceposting) works well during salmon season when you're waiting for a push of fish.
Steelhead come in smaller numbers so you must hunt (move,chase,...) Them down.
Cast, casst, cassst.
Take a few steps (10+)
Cast, casst, cassst.
Repeat until the runs done.
If you think you missed something go to the top and repeat;

perhaps with a different presentation

Good luck!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »

I might be misunderstanding your post; but if you're sitting on a Rock for an hour while trying to catch Steelhead I'm surprised only one person went around you.

This technique (fenceposting) works well during salmon season when you're waiting for a push of fish.
Cast, casst, cassst.
Take a few steps (10+)
Cast, casst, cassst.

Good luck!
Exactly. Keep your feet moving and cover as much water as u can in the time you r out there.

Walleye76

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 06:22:01 PM »

I've found quite a few tend to come in "low hole" and fence post. This to me isn't an etiquette issue for the most part, more a lack of knowledge that salmon fishing and steelhead fishing are not the same and finding "a spot" to wet a line and cast, reel, repeat is not the approach you want to take if you want to have success rather then get lucky once or twice a season. It's the anglers who you see moving with purpose, on their "routes" working runs and moving on (clearly indicating to me they understand the steelhead fishery) that low hole people that get to me. There's a big difference imo between not knowing any better and purposely corking someone to get first crack a the meat of a run. A rookie steelheader can be educated on the etiquette, an EH hole more often then not will always put themselves first
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:24:37 PM by Walleye76 »

hrenya

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »

sry for my English , idea was that when I got to the run , were was a guy already fishing above me , and its a pretty big stretch  , so I jumped in a middle , that guy who I met at parking went up to that guy , and when went down from me . Nobody was in anyones way , and no one was complaining :)
who cares if he wants to do 2-3 casts above , 2-3 casts below , he`s not in a way and I completely don't mind him passing me by ...

p.s. I didn't fish 1 spot for an hour :D I was slowly moving down trying to cast whenever I can with different depth :D yeah I know might be not the best idea , but im still learning to cast with pin and for me 2-3 cast won`t give me enough practice .

Drewhill

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »

I disagree. If there's a spot you know holds fish there's nothing wrong with fence posting. Steelhead bites can turn on and off throughout a day. There are a few spots on the river where guys post up all day and they seem to get fish consistently. It's just a really boring way to fish.

Cast, casst, cassst.
Take a few steps (10+)
Cast, casst, cassst.

Good luck!

Tylsie

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »

On a related, but different topic, how far down from a person do you have to walk before you are no longer considered "low holing," or is it even possible? Is leaving one full run acceptable? 2? Does distance between runs make a difference? 

hrenya

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »

according to "old school" it does matter , but in my opinion if no one is in anybody`s way - how can that matter ?!
lets say I cast left to right , if I have a person fishing RIGHT TIGHT with me but he casts right to left , as long as we keep timing when to cast - I really don't see any problems . BUT if person is casting same way as I do and located below me (which put me to very uncomfy position to cast) that's different .

I do respect "rules" , I live by them , but sometimes they make no sense , and people get very angry if someone coming close to them :D