Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading Jacket  (Read 38374 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Wading Jacket
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has an Amundson wading jacket and what there thoughts are on it . I am looking to purchase and kinda on a buget and the SIMMS are way to far out of reach . My buget is about $150. I was debating over the Amundson or Frogtog jackets but need a second opinion . Or another choice .
Thank You
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Wading Jacket
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

I recently bought the 110$ Frogtog Toadz Hellbender. Got to try it out in Saturdays torrent, handled it just fine. Tight at the waist , loose everywhere else for casting. Enough pockets to carry most of what you'd need. I've never had a different one to compare with, but I'm satisfied with it. Has a rod holder loop too...

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »

love frogg toggs!

shawn_john

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »

I have the amundson wadding jacket purchased from army and navy and love it. It's got great features to it and can allow you to cast with out riding up. I have used it in heavy rain and it keeps you dry. I would recommend it to anyone.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »

For that budget, definitely try the Frogg Toggs lineup. They're great for their price point.

Zackattack

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:09:20 AM »

Ya Frog Toggs is legit. Got the Cascade jacket. Has 25 pockets which was the selling point for me. Gotta love that many pockets!
Have had one tear near the zipper but who cares, keeps me dry and under $100. Take that Simms! haha

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:04 AM »

I've had/have both.

Get the frogg toggs tekk toad.

Very light, breathable, great neoprene cuffs and an awesome fit. They are fairly durable and each one I have had has lasted me a year (around 200-250 trips) of hard VI stream bushwhacking. They are very waterproof and quite easy to repair on the chance you do get a tear. Best thing is they are cheap! Can order one for around $60 USD.

The Amundson... bought it to try because I had a great discount.

The are sized terribly (I'm a medium in everything, and I had to go an awkward small). My buddy is normally an extra large and he went medium. The length in the small is way too short, but the body size and arms are ok for my size - you can't really win with the sizing. VERY durable - but I would never recommend one if you hike - you may as well not be wearing anything because they are not breath-able at all and you'll be more wet from sweat than rain. The neoprene cuffs suck and don't tighten up enough around my wrist (remember, I have a small - the smallest - jacket) to even bother with them - you'll get water down your sleeve tightened all the way or not.

Long story short, I'd never buy another amundson jacket, great discount or not. The next chance I get to go back to Frogg Toggs I will.

If you want something else to look into, Redington actually makes a good jacket. Kitty has been wearing one and it's been great. i think she paid something like $60 on sale. They had men's too, but I never picked one up and wish I had. No neoprene cuffs, but the cuffs still stay fairly waterproof. The are really light and breathable, and even have ventilation zippers under the armpits for when you are hiking. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:07:36 AM by Every Day »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

Thank you everyone  :) . I will have to take a trip out to Richmond since the stores in Langley do not have many to choose from .

coyote spooner

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

I'm in the market too...and Simms is out of reach.

Tried on the Amundson and Frogg Toggs Hellbender at A&N in Langley.

Where in Richmond are you looking?

Amundson size was off and wasn't impressed with overall quality.  Wrist cuffs weren't great either, as mentioned.

Liked the Frogg Toggs....

Looked on their website and found a new model, they just came out with.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/pilot-ii-4-ply-microfiber-breathable-guide-jacket.html

I think this is the one I'm going for.  Don't really like the orange zippers, but jacket design and materials look good.  The have a camo and charcoal color too.

I found it online for cheaper than the msrp ....so landed should be around $150

htdub

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »

Army & Navy Downtown had some pretty nice looking 3 Ply Rapala Fishing jackets that fit your budget, maybe give them a shout

dave c

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »

Frog Toggs Hellbender is an awesome jacket.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »

I'm in the market too...and Simms is out of reach.

Tried on the Amundson and Frogg Toggs Hellbender at A&N in Langley.

Where in Richmond are you looking?

Amundson size was off and wasn't impressed with overall quality.  Wrist cuffs weren't great either, as mentioned.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/pilot-ii-4-ply-microfiber-breathable-guide-jacket.html

I think this is the one I'm going for.  Don't really like the orange zippers, but jacket design and materials look good.  The have a camo and charcoal color too.

I found it online for cheaper than the msrp ....so landed should be around $150

By Richmond ,I meant giong to Berry's . I went on line but all I see is SIMMS .
Seems like most tackle shops sell SIMMS exclusively . I almost beleive that SIMMS sales reps won't allow tackle stores bring in (SIMMS) unless the tackle store limits other brands from there shelfs . Maybe it's just a lack of reps pushing there line of products out there . Who knows . All I can say is , I would like to see more choices for the lower income consumer . Don't get me wrong , I do own SIMMS Waders I paid off in 3 payments  :P. Looks like I may have to make another 3 . ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:51:28 AM by armytruck »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »

My vote for Frogg Togg too.  The only thing I've found is the slightly (still comfy tho!) tight elastic waist is a tad short and tends to ride up from casting.

That being said I would still buy another!  SUPER waterproof (wading over my waist, tripped and went for a swim, over my head.  Got a TRICKLE down the front of my neckline).

Also, that new one they came out with seems not to have an elastic waist.... it IS a little more spensive tho..... http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/pilot-ii-4-ply-microfiber-breathable-guide-jacket.html

HOLY CRAP - their cheaper one is on at Amazon for UNDER $45 US!!  (let me know if you need a hand shipping within the US to save on the shipping and duty!).  http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Tekk-Wading-Jacket/dp/B002KNC0I0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446821657&sr=8-3&keywords=frogg+togg+wading+jacket

The Hellbender (the one I have) is on for $68 http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Hellbender-Wading-XX-Large/dp/B00R6NZR9S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1446821657&sr=8-4&keywords=frogg+togg+wading+jacket
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »

Thanks for the headsup on this jacket. I just ordered the grey one for US$ 109. Looks like a winner at this price point.
Can't wait to try it out in late November.

Glad to find a decent alternative to the overpriced Simms jackets.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »

Milo, since I already have that jacket, I'm happy to take you out and show you how to use it properly. In exchange, you only have to take me out and show me how to actually catch fish...;)