Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading Jacket  (Read 38381 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Wading Jacket
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »

Milo, since I already have that jacket, I'm happy to take you out and show you how to use it properly. In exchange, you only have to take me out and show me how to actually catch fish...;)

LOL! ;D
I can't guarantee I will get you into coho, but I am sure I can show you a trick or two.
Fly or gear?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »

Ha! Either/both!

coyote spooner

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »

Milo, since I already have that jacket, I'm happy to take you out and show you how to use it properly. In exchange, you only have to take me out and show me how to actually catch fish...;)

What do you think of that jacket?

Any negatives?

I'm not a big fan of a removable hood.  Would prefer it is attached...

My current jacket has a big hood and fully covers my ball cap.  How big is the hood on that jacket?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

Well, first off, be aware it's the first fishing jacket I've ever had, so...

But, I really like it. It's very roomy for many layers, including the sleeves. Lots of pockets for tippets, weights/swivels etc., and two large pockets for for lure/fly boxes.  Side pockets and hand warmer pockets too. Tight at the waist. Hood is not remove able, but has a pouch to fold it into at the back of the jacket. I suppose maybe there's something better, but for 110$, I have no complaints, other than that it didn't seem to help me catch fish any npbetter...;)

Blackrt03

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »

Hey everyone...I'm also looking for a new jacket, thinking either hellbender or pilot 2 guide. Is there a local store I can try these jackets on?

Thanks

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »

Hey everyone...I'm also looking for a new jacket, thinking either hellbender or pilot 2 guide. Is there a local store I can try these jackets on?

Thanks

A&N Langley had the hellbender..... haven't seen the pilot 2 in stores (it's pretty new)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »

What do you think of that jacket?

Any negatives?

I'm not a big fan of a removable hood.  Would prefer it is attached...

My current jacket has a big hood and fully covers my ball cap.  How big is the hood on that jacket?

Hood is pretty huge - fit your ball cap and room left to spare! (hellbender)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

I ended up grabbing a FrogTogg Hellbender from A&N today . They have a few left , about 4 or 5 jackets . Lots of Admundson jackets on sale for 119.00 but did not like the material its made from . Looks more of a soaker jacket , could be wrong though .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Blackrt03

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

A&N Langley had the hellbender..... haven't seen the pilot 2 in stores (it's pretty new)

thanks Scouterjames

Blackrt03

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

I ended up grabbing a FrogTogg Hellbender from A&N today . They have a few left , about 4 or 5 jackets . Lots of Admundson jackets on sale for 119.00 but did not like the material its made from . Looks more of a soaker jacket , could be wrong though .

AT, how much did you pay for your jacket?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »

Some great info here thanks guys. I'm in the market for a new wading jacket too. Been trying to save up for a Simms G3 or whatever but I just don't think I can justify spending that much $ on a wading jacket. I have the G3 waders and LOVE them, but they were a gift and I'm just too cheap to spend my own $ on a $600ish jacket :o

Been rocking a Cabela's guide jacket for 6 or so years. It's still alright but the water repellent finish is NFG. The jacket will not soak through but the outer nylon gets soaked eventually so the jacket feels wet  I washed it with Nicwax tech wash the other day then did another cycle with the wash in waterproofing. The jacket beaded water great for a few days out in the rain then the coating wore off and the same problem resurfaced. Time for a new jacket!

Reading the comments here and looking at the links I like the looks of the F/T Hellbender and the Pilot 2. Can't beat the price! Probably not the best time of year to be looking for a wading jacket I'm guessing they are moving off the shelves pretty fast. Any other place stock F/T aside from A+N? I'm in Chilliwack and don't really want to make a run to Langley and find the shelves picked clean? Whole Sale Sports maybe?

Been fishing in the rain a lot lately and this worn out Cabela's jacket is really starting to cramp my style... >:(

Also, can anyone comment if the Hellbender or Pilot has a pocket in the rear of the jacket? My current Cabelas jacket does not. A few buddies have fishing jackets with a zippered pocket in the rear. Handy place to stow a couple garbage bags, large ziplocks, and so on. Wish my jacket had one...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:09:47 PM by Spawn Sack »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »

No pocket in back....

Zackattack

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »

Spawnsac, checkout the Cascade by Frogtoggs
I was also lookin for a jacket with lots of storage and its awesome for the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Cascades-Sportsmans-Wading/dp/B00DLZXVES

Blackrt03

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »

A/N Langley has brown left for $170. Wholesale sports don't carry FT only Simms

coyote spooner

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »

I stopped at Fred's this am.  They had the FT Hellbender on for $139.(regular price). They said they could order the Pilot 2,  price would be $200+. 

My cabelas jacket soaked through in no time today....it's gotta go.  Thinking of phoning them and discussing their lifetime guarantee...?  All they have is Simms on their WS now?

Fished this am with a guy who had a FT jacket on (Pilot 1?). Asked him his opinion.  He was dry and loved his jacket....