Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading Jacket  (Read 38348 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: Wading Jacket
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »

thanks Scouterjames

You're welcome!  Just got back from 5 hours in POURING rain.  Hellbender bent hell forsho!  Dry as a bone.  No, it doesn't have the back zip, BUT it has a TON of front pockets and on very large 'mickey' pocket on the inside.... garbage bags have a home, not to worry.  Also, the mickey pocket fits the big bag of spits for those that indulge (please don't leave a big mess of shells! LOL)

Another comment regarding the hood - it IS nice and large, and has a peak on the front - I don't use a hood, drives me nuts - I bought a Froggs Toggs breathable boonie (or bucket, can't remember which it is) waterproof hat - the brim is large enough to cover the neck (and keeps my glasses rain free - very important! LOL), it's breathable (no sweat!) and light.  Has a wind chin strap if it's needed too.  again, 5 hours in the POURING RAIN and my hair was dry (no rain and no sweat).  It's crushable too, so it lives in my gear bag or one of the many pockets of my wading jacket.  It was around 8 bucks on sale....  http://www.froggtoggs.com/accessories-equipment.html?p=2

Not particularly pro-Froggs (I read my post, sounds like I work for them LOL) but for the price, I don't think it can be beat!  Not to mention, I can buy a lot of new ones for the price of one SIMMS, so never worried about snagging it and ripping or whatever on a tough bushwack or slide down a hill!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:12:36 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Blackrt03

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

You're welcome!  Just got back from 5 hours in POURING rain.  Hellbender bent hell forsho!  Dry as a bone.  No, it doesn't have the back zip, BUT it has a TON of front pockets and on very large 'mickey' pocket on the inside.... garbage bags have a home, not to worry.  Also, the mickey pocket fits the big bag of spits for those that indulge (please don't leave a big mess of shells! LOL)

Another comment regarding the hood - it IS nice and large, and has a peak on the front - I don't use a hood, drives me nuts - I bought a Froggs Toggs breathable boonie (or bucket, can't remember which it is) waterproof hat - the brim is large enough to cover the neck, it's breathable (no sweat!) and light.  Has a wind chin strap if it's needed too.  again, 5 hours in the POURING RAIN and my hair was dry (no rain and no sweat).  It's crushable too, so it lives in my gear bag or one of the many pockets of my wading jacket.  It was around 8 bucks on sale....  http://www.froggtoggs.com/accessories-equipment.html?p=2

Not particularly pro-Froggs (I read my post, sounds like I work for them LOL) but for the price, I don't think it can be beat!  Not to mention, I can buy a lot of new ones for the price of one SIMMS, so never worried about snagging it and ripping or whatever on a tough bushwack or slide down a hill!

Sounds like an awesome jacket. Have one ordered in XL, can't wait to wear it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

I stopped at Fred's this am.  They had the FT Hellbender on for $139.(regular price). They said they could order the Pilot 2,  price would be $200+. 

My cabelas jacket soaked through in no time today....it's gotta go.  Thinking of phoning them and discussing their lifetime guarantee...?  All they have is Simms on their WS now?

Fished this am with a guy who had a FT jacket on (Pilot 1?). Asked him his opinion.  He was dry and loved his jacket....

Hey C/S, were you in Fred's Abby or Chilliwack? If the Chilliwack store has some Hellbenders in I'd like to pop in and check them out tomorrow before work. Won't have time to drive to Abby.

Looking at pictures online...the cascade has TOO MANY pockets for my liking. I know I would put something in a pocket, be looking for it days later, then have to spend 5 minutes looking through pockets to find it. I try to carry a miniaml amount of crap with me when I go fishing. Got a hip pack that stores 99% of my stuff for the day, then I have my phone, keys, a bit of fishing stuff (knife, pliers, etc) in my jacket.

I'd be between the hellbender and Pilot 2. I'm kind of used to having the big square pockets in the front like the hellbender but then I ask myself....do I REALLY need those big pockets? Sometimes I carry a nalgene container full of roe, the size of a tall can of beer, in one of the front pockets. Might not fit in the Pilot 2. However I really dont need to use this container I just like it. A zip lock freezer bag would work too and likely fit fine in the P-2.

I think someone mentioned that the P-2 does not have an elastic waistband? I think I would prefer that. My cabela's jacket has the elastic waist band and it seems like it's always riding up my back a bit.

I know the P-2 is a new jacket...but does anyone have it and can comment on P-2 vs Hellbender?

coyote spooner

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »

I was in chilliwack

They had a M and a XXL on the wall.

Might want to phone ahead to see if they have your rough size.

On page 2 HG says it has a tight waist.  Drawstring?

Without seeing both in person side by side.  I'd say P2 is almost the same as HB, but better/different fabric.

I have the FT Anura waders with the 4 ply fabric.  Pretty durable.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:43:32 PM by coyote spooner »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »

Thanks. I live close to Fred's Chilliwack so I'll just pop in there tomorow and see what they have.
Would be nice if a store sticked the P-2 to try it on, compare to the hellbender, etc.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

It shows/says the P2 has a drawstring in the waist - looks like it's a tad longer and no elastic waist.

Yes, the HB has a pretty tight elastic waist and does ride a bit from casting. 

If price is an issue, I'd go with HB.  If the extra few bucks aren't then I'd prolly order a P2 to try (I THINK they're return policy on online orders in decent)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »

AT, how much did you pay for your jacket?
I paid $149 + tax @ A&N . Broke it in today on 3 river systems , stayed nice and dry . Got. Little trickle down the sleeve from holding the rod (expected) . I wear a large but grabed an extra large so l can layer up . The waist band didn't really bother me at all , kept the wind off my back .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »

Was in Fred's Chwk this morning checking out wading jackets. They had two hellbenders in stock a M and  XXL. The XXL fit closer to a Simms XL. XXL probably too big even layered up but I'd like to try on an XL to be sure. Asked them about the Pilot 2. They said none on order but people have been asking about them and they will likely try and stock them in the near future.
The hellbender seemed like a pretty decent jacket. I think it was $139 + tax. However I think i like the look/design of the new pilot 2 a bit better.
It would be awesome, when one of ya'll who recently ordered a pilot 2 recieve their jacket, if you could post a review on this thread. Im not in a huge rush to buy and can probably wait until they are stocked locally, then try on and if I like buy. And if not like then probablu go with the hellbender. If they are not in stock by the new year ill probably say bugger it and take my chances and order on online.
Tried on some Simms G3 and G4 jackets. Yeah nice!! But not 7-800 bucks nice. Ive had some high end gortex hiking jackets (patagonia, etc) and IMO ALL of these jackets are eventually going to lose their water repellant finish and no amount of nikwax or whatever will bring it back. Yeah im sure the Simms will outlast the FT but will it last 4 times as long? I doubt it.
After hearing a lot of good about FT i think ill give them a chance.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »

It would be awesome, when one of ya'll who recently ordered a pilot 2 recieve their jacket, if you could post a review on this thread.

I should be picking mine up in Blaine either this coming Friday or next. I will test it on a really rainy day and post a review.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »

Yes, please do! Going on the pictures, product info, and so on it looks like the pilot 2 is a slightly "better" version of the hellbender (which already seems like a pretty decent jacket). I'm going to wait a bit and hopefully Fred's or another store around here gets some in. If not I'll likely just chance it and order online in XL.

Animal Chin

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »

Ive had some high end gortex hiking jackets (patagonia, etc) and IMO ALL of these jackets are eventually going to lose their water repellant finish and no amount of nikwax or whatever will bring it back. Yeah im sure the Simms will outlast the FT but will it last 4 times as long? I doubt it.

I agree with you about the relative cost of the jackets. Though if you got the coin, more power to you. Apologize if you already know this, but even if the DWR coating (water repellent) wears off and no longer wicks water, Goretex or eVent or any quality waterproof breathable membrane is still waterproof.

If it does get slightly wet inside it's probably because the pores are clogged and you're damp from sweat because it's no longer breathing properly. Just wash with a "sportwash" or any detergent that has zero additives or softeners. You're actually suppose to wash waterproof breathable jackets often to maintain their performance.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:05:28 AM by Animal Chin »

htdub

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

If your a size small in jackets and like camo, you can pickup the Stormr (Realtree) from amazon.com for $65USD

http://www.amazon.com/STORMR-R215MF-RT-3xl-Stormr-Typhoon-Jacket/dp/B009ATCG0Y

Sagefishr

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »

Technically goretex is not waterproof, it only hold 10000-20000 mm of water column pressure.  So heavy down pour you will get wet.  And also if the jacket is dirty and the fabric is clogged with dirt, that's where the water will soak in because it can't bead off.  I know cause I own a Simms jacket, and just a goretex  arc'teryx jacket.  They all soak in after a while, no mater how much care you you take.
Easy way to test jacket, put it on and get someone to take a hose and spray you.  For the price frog toggs for sure, you can buy 3-4 Frog togg jackets for the price of Simms goretex one.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »

Technically goretex is not waterproof, it only hold 10000-20000 mm of water column pressure.  So heavy down pour you will get wet.  And also if the jacket is dirty and the fabric is clogged with dirt, that's where the water will soak in because it can't bead off.  I know cause I own a Simms jacket, and just a goretex  arc'teryx jacket.  They all soak in after a while, no mater how much care you you take.
Easy way to test jacket, put it on and get someone to take a hose and spray you.  For the price frog toggs for sure, you can buy 3-4 Frog togg jackets for the price of Simms goretex one.

So your saying that the Simms Headwater, G3, and G4 waders are not waterproof?

Sagefishr

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:43 AM »

Buddy I'm talkin about jackets, don't be stupid and talk about waders.  That's like apples and oranges.
Waders and jackets are different materials.  What I'm saying is the JACKETS in goretex even though they are marketed as waterproof, is only to a point.  After use and getting poured on what I'm saying is you will get some water penetration. So if you have a budget get frog toggs, if you have unlimited budget get what ever tickles you fancy.