Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 55135 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

Yep... :)

As Rod has said it well, we've been through this way too many times and time to make one more push at the fall meeting in October.

https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithrod/posts/10153098530482712

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »

the bit of cool moist weather is gone - not likely to be back soon so temperatures in the Fraser will rise again. A fish caught on bar gear will suffer as much stress above 18 degrees C as any of other tackle choice.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »

the bit of cool moist weather is gone - not likely to be back soon so temperatures in the Fraser will rise again. A fish caught on bar gear will suffer as much stress above 18 degrees C as any of other tackle choice.
LOL .... Ur point is ? U caught a lot of Socks on the bar rig?
If I caught a fish on the bar rod , it more than likely would be a Spring or a big 30+ lb. Chinook . I would be pretty hard pressed to just slip it back into the drink to stress and go belly up  ??? .
I think what all the bar rods here are trying to put across here is to fish these species ethically and morally and politically correct . And the fisheries (DFO) need to make changes NOW !!! . Not destroy it now and sit and have a talk about over at Timmy Ho's in October  >:( . Yah ," lets wait" until it's gone then we'll talk about it in the fall!! . 
Thing is , If you don't know how to fish with a bar rod , start learning before your kids and there kids will have nothing ! Raking Sockeye out of the river to find a spring is just plain stupid .
We have great guiding services in the lower mainland that can show you how to ,and get you into a nice Chinook to share with your whole family . Bar fishing, is fishing ........( Long lining , towing ,flossing is only a harvest .) and that's not what fishing is about

sorry I'm just ranting along here  , blood is getting boiled
Stay thirsty my fisher friends  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »

Yep... :)

As Rod has said it well, we've been through this way too many times and time to make one more push at the fall meeting in October.

https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithrod/posts/10153098530482712

i think you should start this conversation on the forum as well. maybe you have not got around to it yet but not everyone has facebook.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »

They have tried the selective methods route before and it didn't work.
I have yet to hear of anyone getting a fine for flossing while selective methods was asked for.
Until the Ministry grows a set and enforces things,things will remain the same.
Flossing can be good for the tackle industry but its biting them in the butt this time.
It has been a big black eye on the industry since its inception and time to give the Sockeye back to those that fish them commercially as well as First Nations fisheries.

norton

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »

It would be better to have a selective fisheries , than no fisheries when the species targeted is plentiful.lenght of leader would be one critical to start with. But when you see commercial and First Nations using nets , and taking every species in their path , it makes you wonder.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »

The Fraser Chinook run, which isn't in the best of shape, deserves the same protection as any other stock given the water conditions and the expected high in stream moralities, outside of angling. There is no such thing as selective angling in a year like this one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:00:00 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

zacrum

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »

i just heard fraser chinook is open on the first ...

Humpy

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:29 PM »

i just heard fraser chinook is open on the first ...
Tidal portion of the fraser river opens Aug 1st, non-tidal opens Aug 3rd.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

zacrum

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »

yay

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »

Before anyone decides to go out on the 1st, I suggest you look for the fishery notice for the opening which should come out in the next couple of days. The regulations on DFO's site is outdated with no specifics of size limits mentioned. As far as I am aware of from the emails received, tidal portion of the Fraser River also does not open until August 3rd.

fisherforever

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »

They have tried the selective methods route before and it didn't work.
I have yet to hear of anyone getting a fine for flossing while selective methods was asked for.
Until the Ministry grows a set and enforces things,things will remain the same.
Flossing can be good for the tackle industry but its biting them in the butt this time.
It has been a big black eye on the industry since its inception and time to give the Sockeye back to those that fish them commercially as well as First Nations fisheries.
Totally agree, it should go back to if you wanted sockeye you went and fished the salt chuck.

Humpy

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »

On Fred's Facebook Page:
CONFIRMED... Fraser River is open to chinook on Saturday August 1st in the tidal, and Monday August 3rd in the non-tidal. Details to follow.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2015, 11:11:31 PM »

Totally agree, it should go back to if you wanted sockeye you went and fished the salt chuck.

Or purchase them from a commercial fisherman cheaper than what it would cost you to catch them yourself. :)

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:56 AM »

On Fred's Facebook Page:
CONFIRMED... Fraser River is open to chinook on Saturday August 1st in the tidal, and Monday August 3rd in the non-tidal. Details to follow.

Nice - thanks for the heads up Humpy