Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 55100 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 10:22:08 PM »

Um, how about set line fishing during July and August and no bottom bouncing. This would clear up all issues with Sockeye encounters.
Its high time we figure out how to selectively fish the Fraser or lose our sportfishing ops all together.
The Fraser Valley Salmon Society directors and pres Dean and vice pres Nick are working on this.

Rod it is time we get very serious on this isssue as talk has gone on for way too long and not enough action. :-[

TOW ing, as I forcast a long time ago would eventially bite us in the behind but of course there is other issues besides that. :-X :-X

How the Leaf Craft and I miss fishing Maple Leaf Bar at this rime of year and many unforgetable trips in years past, glad I have videos to enjoy those moments.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »

Why is it so difficult to change the regulations for selected methods and enforce them. I've seen in the past it stated in the Fisheries Notices that anglers are to use selected methods not to target Sockeye yet that didn't fly . There were tons of people still towing .The DFO should have been out there handing out tickets .They could have generated enough revenue to keep the officers patrolling and enforcing their postings on their Fisheries Notices site . I guess people(harvesters) knowingly or unknowingly doing this must believe DFO are out of site ,so , out of mind it goes . Oh yah, I forgot  ::) they do do fly byes , that's ineffective .  Now , they are (DFO) stepping up and putting more officers out in the field due to the conditions we are facing with this drought (understandably so) to curb any poaching in closed areas . kudos for that . Enforcement , enforcement enforcement  all season long and get things back to normal . Change is good  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

I can't for the life of me understand why that when the water is over 20 degrees salmon caught bar fishing should be better off than those caught by any other method. While there's a lot whining about the loss of an opportunity to fish this summer to me this smacks of the worst sort of hypocrisy; how can the regs be rigged so 'we' can fish when others can't for 'conservation'?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:34 AM »

I understand what you're saying Ralph but I think you've missed the point. It's more of an "if" and "when" scenario, as in if and when they open Chinook fishing, selective methods should be enforced to ensure sockeye bycatch is kept to a minimum.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »

"Tow ing" ??

fisherforever

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

TOW = the other way, refers to flossing

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »

TOW = the other way, refers to flossing
;D :D :'(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

I understand what you're saying Ralph but I think you've missed the point. It's more of an "if" and "when" scenario, as in if and when they open Chinook fishing, selective methods should be enforced to ensure sockeye bycatch is kept to a minimum.

Well I suppose I should feel better. However it occurs to me that this is desired by much the same constituency that opposes 'fly fishing only' regulations and opposed the bait ban on the Thompson during steelhead season. Will this constituency be more cooperative on such issues if the get the set line only regulation? I guess float roe or spoon fishing at the creek mouths would be out?

Another thought that occurs to me is rather than just advocate for restrictions in angling method why not advocate for no retention if Chinook numbers are down so much? I've been around for a long time and this was a fact of fishing the Fraser from the late 70s or so into the early 90s.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

losos

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »

Chris you are totaly right.While no chinook retention would discourage some from fishing it in no way will save fish that was hooked and fought. According to the article that was presented on this site many moons ago even most carefully released salmon will die within hours because of stress . It seems to me that total fishing ban under certain conditions is in order for future angling opportunities and I'm itching to use newly acquired rod.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:57:40 PM by losos »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »

Friday, July 17, 2015

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, July 17 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

With limited assessment capabilities at this time the Early Stuart run-size appears to be within the p25 to p75 pre-season forecast range of 16,000 to 58,000 sockeye. Assessments will continue next week as the marine purse seine test fisheries are scheduled to begin on Tuesday, July 21. Assessments of Early Summer-run sockeye abundance should be available early in August after their peak migration through marine areas has occurred.

On July 16, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was approximately 3,532 cms, which is approximately 34 % lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 16 was 20.0C, which is 3.5C higher than average for this date. Given these river conditions it is anticipated that the Early Stuart management adjustment will increase at a future date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

All Panel Area waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, July 21, 2015.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2015/Announcement02.pdf

zacrum

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »

sorry new to tidal   so this means no fishing is tidal waters yet?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »

sorry new to tidal   so this means no fishing is tidal waters yet?

Yes, no fishing for Salmon in the Tidal Fraser (for now). Another place area you can fish for salmon right now that is also Tidal is Area 28.

zacrum

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

they didnt have any tidal books when i got my liscence so not sure of the zoning

zacrum

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »

thank you rodney