Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 55085 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2015 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, July 21 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

At the meeting today, the Fraser River Panel approved a run size estimate of 30,000 Early Stuart sockeye with 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 7. Assessments of Early Summer- run sockeye abundance should be available early in August after their peak migration through marine areas has occurred.

On July 20, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 3,255 cms, which is approximately 35% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 20 was 20.1 °C, which is 3.2 °C higher than average for this date. Past years of such high in-river temperatures have been associated with large enroute losses of sockeye populations migrating to their spawning grounds. In anticipation of the potential for mortality in 2015, the Panel increased the proportional management adjustment for Early Stuart sockeye from 0.68 to 4.18. Fraser River water temperatures and discharge levels will be monitored closely to determine if additional management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

All Panel Area waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, July 24, 2015.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2015/Announcement03.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »

Friday, July 24, 2015

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, July 24 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

The marine migration of Early Stuart sockeye is nearly complete. At the meeting today, the run size estimate of 30,000 Early Stuart sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 7 was unchanged. Current assessments of abundance, of the earlier timed component, of the Early Summer-run management group are tracking near the forecast level. A more accurate assessment of their abundance and timing should be available early in August.

On July 23, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 3,008 cms, which is approximately 38% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 23 was 19.4 C, which is 2.1 C higher than average for this date. Fraser River temperatures are forecast to decline to 17.9 C by July 29 in response to a moderate weather forecast. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

The Panel announced the following regulations for Commercial salmon fisheries in Panel Area waters:

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Remain closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Open to drift gillnets 12:00 p.m. (noon), Saturday, July 25, 2015, to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Wednesday, July 29, 2015.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Remains closed Commercial salmon fisheries.

(Note: U. S. Non-Treaty fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, July 28, 2015.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2015/Announcement04.pdf

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »

Hey Rod, do you happen to know if they will also be deciding on a daily limit for chinook in the Tidal Fraser today? The season opens on August 1st (can't wait!) but it still does not say what the limit is on DFO's website, nor does it say if there's the usual size restrictions (only 1 over 62 cm etc.)  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »

Hey Rod, do you happen to know if they will also be deciding on a daily limit for chinook in the Tidal Fraser today? The season opens on August 1st (can't wait!) but it still does not say what the limit is on DFO's website, nor does it say if there's the usual size restrictions (only 1 over 62 cm etc.)  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

There will be a fishery notice coming out this week, pretty soon I think, not so much about the size restriction or daily limit of chinook salmon, but whether or not they are extending the closure of salmon fishing. The earliest possible opening date is now August 3rd. This is all the information I have from the email communications. I'll post the notice up when it becomes available.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »

ok thanks Rod

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »

Just to clarify, isn't the "Fraser River in Region 2 (from the downstream side of the Mission Bridge to
downstream side of the Alexandra Bridge)" the non-tidal portion of the lower Fraser? Meaning that the Tidal portion still opens on August 1st?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 04:19:48 PM »

That above notice for non-tidal only. I'm not sure why there hasn't been a notice out for tidal, but I assume there'll be one soon. From what my colleagues at the Lower Fraser SFAC have been saying, it sounds like the tidal opening is pushed back to August 3rd as well. We'll wait and see.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »

ok thanks - looking forward to reading the forthcoming notice

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »

The fact that the non tidal Fraser River is under the management of the Provincial Govt does allow for gear restrictions to be made.
This whole business of not being able to restrict fishing techniques to protect non target species such as Sockeye Salmon is horse doo doo.
Why is it that MOE can institute regulations to how we handle Sturgeon and not how we fish for Salmon in non tidal waters.
The Fraser River has cooled down nicely in the last 2 weeks and without dams on the Fraser to impede migration I think truthfully we will not be witnessing a survival problem based on water conditions on the Fraser mainstem.
Having anglers fish in a manner that does not catch non target species would be an easy way to allow angling at this time.
Simply put, the easy fix to keep us fishing would be set line fishing for salmon only in non tidal Fraser River.
On top of this the regs should be made same as Steelhead fishing on the Vedder River where once you kill your daily limit of fish (=1) you must quit fishing for the day on that river. This regulation is already in place for the Vedder so please do not say it cannot be done.
So basically what i'm saying is allow anglers to barfish for Chinooks, which past history shows us catches only chinooks. This would be a catch and kill fishery where mortality would not be an issue as people are out there to kill their one Chinook and cease fishing there after.

Forget leader restrictions and all the other attempts at stopping people from the non selective art of snagging Salmon in the head.
We all know whats going on with that style of harvesting Salmon. Call it what it is, allow it when Sockeye stocks allow and other than that, be done with it.

Maybe its time for another protest fishery, what you say Mr. Gadsden  ;D
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, July 28 to receive an update on the migration of the Fraser sockeye runs.

The run size estimate of 30,000 Early Stuart sockeye was unchanged at the meeting today. Early Summer-run sockeye run size assessments should be available in early August.
On July 27, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 2,925 cms, which is approximately 36% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 27 was 18.4 C, which is 0.5 C higher than average for this date. Fraser River temperatures are forecast to increase to 19.9 C by August 2. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

The Panel announced the following regulations for Commercial salmon fisheries in Panel Area waters:

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Remain closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Open to drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon), Saturday, July 25, 2015 to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Wednesday, July 29, 2015.

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Extended to drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon), Wednesday, July 29, 2015 to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Saturday, August 1, 2015.

NON INDIAN FISHERY:

Remains closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, July 31, 2015.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2015/Announcement05.pdf

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »

Very well put Rod T . I couldn't agree more  8) .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

tworivers

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »

In 100% agreement with this BentRodsGuiding, and your additional commentary in this matter on your latest podcast at www.bentrods.ca

buck

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »

RodT

DFO just sent a memo out that progressive thinking is not allowed! LOL  Perhaps if they were open to accepting valuable suggestions, we could once again have a viable bar fishery.

Checked the four test fishing sites for June/ July ( Cottonwood, Whonnock, Albion and Qualark ) and found they have caught 958 chinook. That number does not show the number of fish taken by seals from the nets. First nations catches from April 5 - July 19 totalled 4342.  How many fish would bar fisherman have taken if they were allowed to fish?
If conservation is the real reason for not having a fishery, DFO should scale back the number of fish taken in the test fisheries and limit the number of fish taken in the drift/set net fishery. DFO however would have to ramp up enforcement.

4x4

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »

The fact that the non tidal Fraser River is under the management of the Provincial Govt does allow for gear restrictions to be made.
This whole business of not being able to restrict fishing techniques to protect non target species such as Sockeye Salmon is horse doo doo.
Why is it that MOE can institute regulations to how we handle Sturgeon and not how we fish for Salmon in non tidal waters.
The Fraser River has cooled down nicely in the last 2 weeks and without dams on the Fraser to impede migration I think truthfully we will not be witnessing a survival problem based on water conditions on the Fraser mainstem.
Having anglers fish in a manner that does not catch non target species would be an easy way to allow angling at this time.
Simply put, the easy fix to keep us fishing would be set line fishing for salmon only in non tidal Fraser River.
On top of this the regs should be made same as Steelhead fishing on the Vedder River where once you kill your daily limit of fish (=1) you must quit fishing for the day on that river. This regulation is already in place for the Vedder so please do not say it cannot be done.
So basically what i'm saying is allow anglers to barfish for Chinooks, which past history shows us catches only chinooks. This would be a catch and kill fishery where mortality would not be an issue as people are out there to kill their one Chinook and cease fishing there after.

Forget leader restrictions and all the other attempts at stopping people from the non selective art of snagging Salmon in the head.
We all know whats going on with that style of harvesting Salmon. Call it what it is, allow it when Sockeye stocks allow and other than that, be done with it.

Maybe its time for another protest fishery, what you say Mr. Gadsden  ;D

Right on Rod,

What you are saying has been my arguement from day one and we've had some good ones back in the day.

It seems so simple but it's not happening. Impose a leader restriction. To many people will be bottom bouncing for Springs at Laidlaw.... When Sockeye aren't open. Ban flossing except when Sockeye stocks allow.