Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: French blade spinners  (Read 11250 times)

Dogbreath

Re: French blade spinners
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »

No need for a wire former unless money is burning a hole in your pocket-I've used my bare hands to make spinners that work.

Also why use a split ring between the hook & lure body?

Hot Tip-the Best PenTac combo for Coho is a size 4.5 Silver blade/size 4 Brass body.

There's still a bag with hundreds of dollars worth of that gear on my bench  hiding under the dust somewhere.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

However, I also purchased many similar components from Lure Parts online and in additional painted colors. With my limited experience I have found that chartruce and brass perform best...on the Cap.

Interesting, I have found chartreuse and brass spoons or spinners to the the best colour combination on the Squamish (for bulls).

Silver

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

No need for a wire former unless money is burning a hole in your pocket-I've used my bare hands to make spinners that work.

Also why use a split ring between the hook & lure body?

Hot Tip-the Best PenTac combo for Coho is a size 4.5 Silver blade/size 4 Brass body.

There's still a bag with hundreds of dollars worth of that gear on my bench  hiding under the dust somewhere.

A wire former is also not useful to me as I use the ready made wire shafts, and to finish the top of one without a bare wire section...pliers are necessary. I also like to twist the loops by hand, but had some trouble finding quality pliers in the correct size.

I put the split ring on the wire so that I can change out hooks if necessary. And I have also read that it adds some additional flexibilty to the hook swing and can increase hooks ups...not unlike the trailing hook method to a smaller degree.

I will keep in mind your size/color selection for future reference. I have mostly #3 blades as a preference for the Capilano...It is my understanding that this system prefers a smaller presentation. I even have some smaller Rob's Bait roe to try soon.

I also have a shocking amount of dollars invested in a fairly small assortment of parts. However, it should be satisfying to catch a few with something that you make yourself.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »

I use ready made spinner shafts and finish the top by using one of my wire former. Snap to use.

Silver

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »

I use ready made spinner shafts and finish the top by using one of my wire former. Snap to use.

Can you form the spinner with no shaft space exposed when finished?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »

Can you form the spinner with no shaft space exposed when finished?

Yes

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

I like using split rings between the hook and spinner body for the same reasons as silver, it's all about preference.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:20 PM »

Dogbreath is right on color wise, only that for cohos I use size 3 most of the time, under normal water condition.

BTW, for those who are interested.  Below are the actual weights of the:
blades:

bodies:

It was the best 50 bucks I ever spent on 100 spinners.
It ain't the roe bro'

Silver

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »

50 cents a spinner is great!

As the prices have gone up considerably since the printing on that Pen-tac catalogue, the average price for the #3 spinners I have completed are around $3.50 each.

VA7DDP

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »

You say that the premium tools supplied aren't that great.

When I used to make my own spinners I used this wire former-bender-thingy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lure-maker-Spinner-maker-wire-bender-tackle-craft-wire-bending-forming-tool-/181723602544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4f921e70

That, and a pair of side cutters, was all I used.

That tool gives me nightmares... Hate using it; much easier to use round nose pliers.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »

I use the pro wire forming tool from Hagen's , it gives a perfect finish all the time.  It's not cheap but it will be the last one that you will ever buy because it's built to last and if you do need a replacement part they are easy to order.

If you're looking for a really good company to order plated blades and bodies from the have a look at www.fishermanshack.net because they sell the same thickness blade in silver and 24K gold plating but at a far better price than pen tac.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day