Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: displayed fishing license  (Read 17105 times)

lightsorcerer

• Leather Fly Fishing Wallets
displayed fishing license
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »

Always thought it a good idea to have one's fishing license VISUALLY displayed on the backside of one's collar.
 Tidal a certain colour
Tidal Salmon certain colour
Non Tidal certain colour
Non Tidal Salmon certain colour
And so on...

Just a thought

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

A Frayed Knot

Re: displayed fishing license
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »

I think it's a good idea, I think that licenses should visable at all times, whether its taped to the lid of your box or in a sleeve around your neck like a work ID badge. Something like http://www.oppictures.com/singleimages/240/18874.JPG that has to be visible at all times.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »

i just take a picture of both licenses on my cell phone. my cell is always with me on the flow.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »

i just take a picture of both licenses on my cell phone. my cell is always with me on the flow.
I don't think that will fly.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »

I don't think that will fly.

It won't they aren't valid if its a photocopy.
Just do it online and print two, one in the car one in the box and if you have to an extra on person, and put it in a water proof bag or like i suggested a id card holder and it with a small lariat and just hang it off the neck.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »

I've seen this in some pictures and on New Fly Fisher when they were steelheading back east.  The license was on the back of a hat or on the arm. 

My dream would be a online course with exam, like the boating license.  So there is no excuse for poor fish id and handling.  Poachers will poach but there's no way a sporty can say, "I didn't know".

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:02:10 PM »

I've seen this in some pictures and on New Fly Fisher when they were steelheading back east.  The license was on the back of a hat or on the arm. 

My dream would be a online course with exam, like the boating license.  So there is no excuse for poor fish id and handling.  Poachers will poach but there's no way a sporty can say, "I didn't know".

Yes, it shouldn't be that hard to implement, i mean they are taking money hand over fist our of steelhead restocking programs anyway, put that money into forcing a 1 day course + exam, and you get a license at a discount or something for an annual then have the course cost x amount of money.

charles

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »

In California where I grew up, the fisherman has to wear fishing license in a clear bag on the outside of our jackets with a pin. 

By the way, I caught many coho with that 4" JW Young.  Great reel and light...  I am using that more than my milner now.  If you have one with open face (not full cage), let me know :)  I lost your number...  otherwise I will txt you some photos that you were asking me to do.

Always thought it a good idea to have one's fishing license VISUALLY displayed on the backside of one's collar.
 Tidal a certain colour
Tidal Salmon certain colour
Non Tidal certain colour
Non Tidal Salmon certain colour
And so on...

Just a thought

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »

when I fished in California a few years back I like that and thought we needed it here. I think for a buck or 2 you could buy a clear water proof plastic sleeve and hang it on your vest etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TacoChris

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »

I do not support taking courses to fish or wearing licences. The boaters exam is yet another example of a poorly crafted government boondoggle why create another. Every one needs a drivers licence and yet a large percentage of people still break the rules on a regular basis. No one makes you wear your drivers licence, boating card or the like.

Once again for those that do not carry a full size copy of their licence it is not permitted yet. If the CO feels free to ticket you they are well within there rights. See the response below

We went to the standard size as then no one needed to buy special paper, most people have it in their printers already.  The CO Service was involved in the development of the online licence, hence the QR code for quick scanning.  If the size of the licence is changed it renders this code unreadable and leaves the CO without the ability to determine legitimacy.

The other issue with having a printed copy in an angler’s possession is pretty clear in the Wildlife Act, Section 12:  A person commits an offence if a person angles in the non-tidal waters of British Columbia unless the person is (a) the holder of an angling licence…” and having something on a their phone doesn’t take the place of the printed licence nor as you stated does it allow for completion of the retention records.  There should be consistency on this, and no the rules don’t change for non-retention.  At some point we may change the Act and also the online system to allow for electronic completion of retentions – but we aren’t there yet.

Pat Twaddle

Application Administrator, Fish, Wildlife & Habitat Management Branch

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »

Just do it online and print two, one in the car one in the box and if you have to an extra on person, and put it in a water proof bag or like i suggested a id card holder and it with a small lariat and just hang it off the neck.
No it wont as of right now. . . but how silly is that lets save some paper DFO there should be a digital version.
[

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »

whatever. One reason we have so many problems with angler behaviour is there is no consensus among anglers what to do about it.

Every vehicle on public road has to display a license. Every dog has to wear one. I could go on with other examples. Displaying a license simply addresses the problem of people who goes fishing but won't buying a license not will licensed anglers adhere to regulations.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:08:39 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

GordJ

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »

I don't know nearly as much as you but I have been checked by a CO and a DFO at separate times and they both accepted my iPad and iPhone licence.
I print my tidal on the back of my non and try to carry a copy in the boat and the car.
As far as displaying licences goes, I am totally against it and I am not convinced it would be legal, privacy issues and all. I also don't think there is a serious problem with non-licenced anglers that would make it necessary for everyone to walk around looking like tourists in a cheap all inclusive. If someone wanted to avoid buying a licence it would take about 5'minutes to photoshop one.
BTW, I have seen many of the online experts state that photocopies or smaller prints aren't valid but I wonder how anyone would know if it was copied or printed? And the instructions say to print the licence at "full size" which doesn't mean anything, if I have a business card printer full size is 1.5 x 3 and if I have a large format printer it could be 14 x 20, the QR code reads the same at all sizes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:27:31 AM by GordJ »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »

As far as displaying licences goes, I am totally against it and I am not convinced it would be legal, privacy issues and all. I also don't think there is a serious problem with non-licenced anglers that would make it necessary for everyone to walk around looking like tourists in a cheap all inclusive. If someone wanted to avoid buying a licence it would take about 5'minutes to photoshop one.

I concur. Don't see any real advantage walking around looking like a bunch of tourisst plus you're liable to lose it walking through the bush.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »

there would be no privacy issues. As someone noted the licenses would be colour coded. The only visible info would be the license number and license year. Privacy issues could only arise  when personal info is visible. If if it was visible another person would have to get quite close to read it.