Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: displayed fishing license  (Read 17207 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: displayed fishing license
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:37 AM »

Try the Seymour Salmonid Society, takes less than five minutes to fill out their online volunteer form and you will be on their volunteer list and receiving emails in just a few days.

X2. Best way to get some hatchery experience. Also might want to check out your local streamkeepers as many of them run a small community hatchery in their respective municipalities.

Might also think about getting some enforcement experience - bylaw, park ranger, etc. as both the province and the Feds require at least 2 years experience in some type of law enforcement along with related education.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »

X2. Best way to get some hatchery experience. Also might want to check out your local streamkeepers as many of them run a small community hatchery in their respective municipalities.

Might also think about getting some enforcement experience - bylaw, park ranger, etc. as both the province and the Feds require at least 2 years experience in some type of law enforcement along with related education.

Yeah, I've been looking into that, for park ranger is a bit harder then I thought pretty much most of the above requires a background or a BA my friend who is trying to become an RCMP officer, is currently working as a volunteer for local community stations. And he was told criminology which is obviously but it doesn't have as much weight as say having a degree in psychology, so hes doing forensic psychology if i recall and trying to put in ours at colony farms. I am not 100% on that I haven't talked to him in awhile, we used to work together.

Anyway point I is, from what I have read DFO, Park Rangers/Wardens, they all seem to want to have that similar higher education. Or this is my understanding from what I saw on the gov websites, so I am hoping by doing some part time volunteering and finding my way in without the extensive schooling I expect some formal training eventually but in the mean time...it may be a longer path but more hands on I suppose? If that makes sense.

My current job allows for some flexibility so I am taking courses on my own like Advanced Wilderness and Remote First Aid Course and retaking my firearms safety courses. Possibly try to get some Guiding classes in to since that includes a lot of regulations and rules that will be required as a CO anyway I am sure and... more fun I hope haha.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »

Along the lines of the origin of this thread.How about a poll on the issue.I for one would like to see this.Grass-roots evidence and all that.
Riverman

speycaster

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »

I have carried my licenses around my neck for over fifty years, never become entangled in trees and died, never had anyone come up and steal my personal information from it. I have had a lot of C.O.s like how quickly I was able to produce it when asked.

VA7DDP

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »

I am more referring to the the written licenses you'd be surprised how many people still get written ones from in the tackle shops, a few now just do it online and they give you a card with your angler number on it. I know Sea Run does, its all digital but places like Wal mart, and Army and Navy I got the old written one.
All tackle shops are now fully digital. Both Provincial and Federal no longer give us a choice of issuing hand written licenses.

TacoChris

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »

I would have to agree with those who state the lake of enforcement is the main problem. I do not think wearing a coloured licence will make a difference if there are no CO's. You can easily fake one or print multiple copies of your buddies licence.  I fish a lot and have been checked once in the last 10 years. Before that I would be checked in the most remote places one could imagine.  I have never been checked for an boat operators card.

I can never see any level of government requiring courses in regards to fishing as there are no safety issue here like as with boating. As for incredibly high fines governments need to keep things in perspective. The court will not support fines that are out of touch with the gravity of the offence. You would not fine someone thousands of dollars for keeping the wrong species of fish and give a much smaller fine for offences that are dangerous like speeding or texting while driving.

As for the digital copy the responce I got was from the CO's office it was their administrator who said the licence can not be read if not printed. Go argue with him. It does say you must print your licence on standard paper. They should add their policy on digital copies as even he admitted it comes up regularly.  I am not familiar with the policy of the DFO.

speycaster

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »

You would not fine someone thousands of dollars for keeping the wrong species of fish and give a much smaller fine for offences that are dangerous like speeding or texting while driving.

Go to Arizona and kill an Apache trout, the fine from the tribe and the state will make your eyes water and your rectum pucker up. ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

You would not fine someone thousands of dollars for keeping the wrong species of fish and give a much smaller fine for offences that are dangerous like speeding or texting while driving.

Go to Arizona and kill an Apache trout, the fine from the tribe and the state will make your eyes water and your rectum pucker up. ;D

I would fine and throw the book at them! Or Two!  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:50:42 AM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.