Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: displayed fishing license  (Read 17103 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: displayed fishing license
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »

I don't want to put the elephant on the table here and start trouble but I have called the CO's now a total of 3 times.   Not once have they attended or made it to the spot before the people left. 

This isn't a knock against the CO's.   I think with budget cuts its nearly impossible to be everywhere every time.   One time I called for people poaching crab in Horseshoe bay the CO was in Squamish... By the time he made it down they were probably cooking the crabs.   

I am not trying to start an argument but I don't think having a color system where people wear licenses is going to help things.   At the very least it will show other fisherman who is or isn't with a license.   BUT... you then need a CO to attend and they are spread so thin.....  So whats the end result.  People will self police something that could lead to other issues.

I am not interested in confronting someone alongside a river or even a logging road for that matter because they have no license.   

Nothing good could come from this.   

I think the solution is stiffer penalties....Hit them hard.. if you have a violation... then hit them hard.  Imagine if taking a wild coho had a fine of $50,000..   or keeping a undersized crab was 25k per crab... I guarantee you people wouldn't chance it.   

That's my 2 cents..
see ya on the river

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »

No it wont as of right now. . . but how silly is that lets save some paper DFO there should be a digital version.

Yes, I agree. Digital Copies do work I think. I usually have a printed copy. Thats what that QR code is for.

I don't know nearly as much as you but I have been checked by a CO and a DFO at separate times and they both accepted my iPad and iPhone licence.
I print my tidal on the back of my non and try to carry a copy in the boat and the car.
As far as displaying licences goes, I am totally against it and I am not convinced it would be legal, privacy issues and all. I also don't think there is a serious problem with non-licenced anglers that would make it necessary for everyone to walk around looking like tourists in a cheap all inclusive. If someone wanted to avoid buying a licence it would take about 5'minutes to photoshop one.
BTW, I have seen many of the online experts state that photocopies or smaller prints aren't valid but I wonder how anyone would know if it was copied or printed? And the instructions say to print the licence at "full size" which doesn't mean anything, if I have a business card printer full size is 1.5 x 3 and if I have a large format printer it could be 14 x 20, the QR code reads the same at all sizes.

I am more referring to the the written licenses you'd be surprised how many people still get written ones from in the tackle shops, a few now just do it online and they give you a card with your angler number on it. I know Sea Run does, its all digital but places like Wal mart, and Army and Navy I got the old written one. I don't know if still do it but one time I had forgotten mine at home, had to drive back and bought a day one. >:( Good thing Walmart was  open at 7am.

Full size paper is 8.27 × 11.7 which is letter size. It has to be legible and easy to read, if its printed smaller than intended it can screw up the QR code, or some printers are just to be honest print like crap and might smudge or a whole other host of issues I can't think of.

Also I was doing some reading this morning and found this in the FAQs

11 - How can I obtain a licence if I don't have a printer or my printer doesn't work?
The Freshwater Fishing E-Licensing System allows you to reprint your e-licence yourself at no charge.  If you don’t have a printer, or if your printer doesn’t work, you won’t be able to print the licence on your own computer but you can reprint it later on any other computer that is connected to a printer.  Most public libraries have computers with printers.

You can also use a Community Access Terminal (CAT) at no charge at any Service BC Centre, or ask the Service BC agent to reprint the licence for you for a fee.

Note that you will need your Angler Number to reprint your licence.

No where in the FAQ does it say we can use a digital copy not that I would risk bringing a 600 dollar device with me on a walk and wade anyway.

Not sure why people have such issue with displaying their license anyway, your information is exposed everyday all day. Your smart phones, iphone has a visa/master card READER now that you can buy at staples for $20, I use it for fundraisers.
Then there is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vc-69M-UWk (definitely worth a watch)  Heck I am positive you can get all you need from just a drivers license plate. Almost positive if you looked hard enough on the internet there is a way.
I mean if thieves have found a way to swipe your back pocket with a device (not a smart phone) because of the new pay pass system, you don't need to enter a pin.
As easy as it is to steal that info, its even easier to protect yourself.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

i always fish with a backpack on me so the paper copy is put in a plactic ziplock bag in my pack. i took picture of my license just in case i lost my backpack or it fell in the water or whatever. i also have copies in my vehicle. At pegleg this summer during sockeye run 3 co's came by and they only asked to check licences from people who retained fish....maybe 10 people out of a hundered at that moment. nobody else fishing  was asked to show license. figure that out. 

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »

They need to make the training more accessible put a better budget in it or something they need to do something aside from money to get more CO's out on the water.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »

The license needs to be signed as it is a legal document and not valid till that point.

Hence why digital copies dont work.

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »

The license needs to be signed as it is a legal document and not valid till that point.

Hence why digital copies dont work.
Again, I have been checked by CO's and DFO and had no problem. It is pretty easy to have a signed licence on my iPad. And the comments about the QR code are funny because small ones and big ones all scan (as if fish cops have scanned codes) just fine.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »

Again, I have been checked by CO's and DFO and had no problem. It is pretty easy to have a signed licence on my iPad. And the comments about the QR code are funny because small ones and big ones all scan (as if fish cops have scanned codes) just fine.

Two problems, I tried it today and one didn't scan and the other did, maybe its the software I don't know. But I used https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/qr-code-reader-and-scanner/id388175979?mt=8

Secondly I think the CO's are clearly not doing their job or rather their due diligence. Which is biggest part of the problem. It should be signed, its just like a visa if its not signed, its not valid, hell technically its not even yours.

I don't see the big deal just follow the rules, sign your stuff people (not to anyone specific) use a paper copy print an extra for the car.

It's not worth the money.

(3) On conviction for contravention of section 13 (1), (2) or (5), the penalty is a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $10 000.
(4) On conviction for contravention of a provision of this Part other than section 13 (1), (2) or (5), the penalty is a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $2 000.

(19)  If the licence held by any licensee has been revoked, or if it is shown to the satisfaction of the minister that a licensee has violated any provision of this Part or the regulations or a condition of a licence or has conducted the business of the licensee's establishment in contravention of the spirit and intent of this Part, the minister may, in addition to all other penalties to which the licensee may be liable, refuse after that to issue a licence under this Act to that licensee or to any person for the establishment of that licensee.

Plus the lost gear and if you're unfortunate the impound fees on top of everything else if they decide to take your car, I found this out from asking CO's and the DFO, been trying to do volunteer work because I've been interested in doing this for a career but the process is slow.

The above copy and pastes are found at http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96149_01#section13
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:34:46 PM by A Frayed Knot »

GordJ

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »

[quote author=A Frayed Knot link=topic=36807.msg348908#msg348908 date=1414279072

Secondly I think you are playing with fire and these CO's are clearly not doing their job. Which is biggest part of the problem. It should be signed, its just like a visa if its not signed, its not valid, hell technically its not even yours.
[/quote]
So I show that I have a valid licence and you think they are not doing their job because you, an Internet expert, thinks that you don't like the form that I used to prove that I purchased a valid licence? What do you think their job is? I proved that I bought a licence, they acknowledged that I hold a valid licence now you, an Internet expert, tells that my licence isn't any good and they should waste everybody's time by charging me with, what? Maybe everybody would be better off if the fish cops went on to the next guy?
You offer an opnion on whose licence it is and I am wondering what qualifies you to offer this opinion? And the licence on my iPad is signed.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

[quote author=A Frayed Knot link=topic=36807.msg348908#msg348908 date=1414279072

Secondly I think you are playing with fire and these CO's are clearly not doing their job. Which is biggest part of the problem. It should be signed, its just like a visa if its not signed, its not valid, hell technically its not even yours.

So I show that I have a valid licence and you think they are not doing their job because you, an Internet expert, thinks that you don't like the form that I used to prove that I purchased a valid licence? What do you think their job is? I proved that I bought a licence, they acknowledged that I hold a valid licence now you, an Internet expert, tells that my licence isn't any good and they should waste everybody's time by charging me with, what? Maybe everybody would be better off if the fish cops went on to the next guy?
You offer an opnion on whose licence it is and I am wondering what qualifies you to offer this opinion? And the licence on my iPad is signed.

An internet expert? Really? That's the best you can do?  I never claimed to be, but there are phone numbers to inquiry about such things. Those people tend to direct you to websites to get further information.
My opinion is just that an opinion, no less than yours and no greater.
So glad you bothers to skim over what you wanted to read.

I merely stated what I found out, I'm sorry I follow the rules for something I am passionate about doing. If you don't like it. I don't know what to tell you.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »

There is plenty of information out there regarding fish identification and regulations.
Those that are fishing unethically will do so no matter what.
Information has been printed and distributed in multiple languages.
When I first started Salmon fishing in the Ocean I wasn't 100% sure how to identify all the Salmon species.
On the regulations booklet was a photo of each one and I would reference that information when needed.
Its really not that difficult.

We need more ticket writers out there and you wont believe how fast some will learn how to do things right.
Its time to get more enforcement and with only a few C.O.s out there maybe they could do a program that what deputise some individuals to do the job.
Im ashamed of what is called sport fishing nowadays.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:51:43 PM by firstlight »

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »

There is plenty of information out there regarding fish identification and regulations.
Those that are fishing unethically will do so no matter what.
Information has been printed and distributed in multiple languages.
When I first started Salmon fishing in the Ocean I wasn't 100% sure how to identify all the Salmon species.
On the regulations booklet was a photo of each one and I would reference that information when needed.
Its really not that difficult.

We need more ticket writers out there and you wont believe how fast some will learn how to do things right.
Its time to get more enforcement and with only a few C.O.s out there maybe they could do a program that what deputise some individuals to do the job.
Im ashamed of what is called sport fishing nowadays.

This is what I am trying to do, but the process is kinda slow. I need to volunteer more as its looked positively upon according to what I have read, I tried to volunteer with the fish hatcheries but when I googled some out of in the tri cities (port moody/coquitlam specifically) I didn't get anything as direct as I like. I drove up to the coquitlam hatchery a few weeks back and no luck its just gated off and I didn't see any way in to an office.

Frustrating.

GordJ

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »

My opinion is just that an opinion, no less than yours and no greater.

I merely stated what I found out, I'm sorry I follow the rules for something I am passionate about doing. If you don't like it. I don't know what to tell you.
You stated that the CO's were clearly not doing their jobs. That is not an opinion as you claim it is a statement. So what is your background to provide this proof of the CO's "clearly not doing their job"? They checked for species, they checked for quota and they checked for licensing and you are accusing them, from your position as the Internet expert,of what, dereliction of duty?

Where did you find out that the piece of paper that came off my printer and laying on my counter isn't mine? It was mine when I paid for it, it was mine before I printed it and now it isn't mine?

Just because you have a passion for fishing doesn't mean you can make statements that are false and go unchallenged.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »

Not sure why this is so hard for you. And again you're reading what you want. I said I was passionate not just about fishing. Infact I never said anything about fishing itself.

Everything is taken into a context of opinion. Never said this is fact in actual fact. The fact I believe they didn't do their job vs their due diligence which I went back and corrected in an Edit, which you chose not to read. Is your fault not mine.
I am not interested in debating some kind of argue for the sake of arguing. Or straw man arguments of "this is what happened so this is how it is" or letting it degrade further by the childish "internet expert". Might as well just go a head and say "My dad can beat up your dad!" Holds the same levitity.

I said my peace.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:15:38 PM by A Frayed Knot »

ride604

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »

I tried to volunteer with the fish hatcheries but when I googled some out of in the tri cities (port moody/coquitlam specifically) I didn't get anything as direct as I like.

Try the Seymour Salmonid Society, takes less than five minutes to fill out their online volunteer form and you will be on their volunteer list and receiving emails in just a few days.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »

Try the Seymour Salmonid Society, takes less than five minutes to fill out their online volunteer form and you will be on their volunteer list and receiving emails in just a few days.

I've never heard of them so... Thank You! I would have never have looked.
That and I think when I sat down and tried to look for information I simply just googled "hatcheries" and called it a day after trying to email around. But I just signed up and all I can do is wait.